How would you address the QB situation?

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
It’s mind boggling how many ppl want to “Trade everything away!” That shit almost never works. and Pace has been awful when trading up. Acquire picks, capitalize on other teams draft mistakes

mecha

Liked Posts:
let's be logical and sensible now. are the Bears winning the Super Bowl in 2021? probably not. they probably don't make the playoffs either. there have been a lot of complaints regarding the offensive line. it got better as the season progressed due to COVID and injuries; they lucked into what's probably the best lineup they could field with the 2020 roster. but it could still be improved. the tackles on either side should be upgraded. that's going to require some early round draft picks. if you're going to spend draft picks on improving the line, you may as well make them worth it meaning you draft early, and there's probably no room for quarterback in the 2021 draft because that requires you to draft super high. winning those 3 games against garbage teams in the last month of the season didn't help for draft position obviously, but I think I read the best they would get to was maybe 8th overall in the 1st round, which might not be good enough to find the vaunted franchise quarterback.

if Nagy's tenure has demonstrated anything, player development has been lacking. so do you want to trade up to get a quarterback just to have them ruined like the last 2 consistent starters? it will be another Trubisky pick, and who knows what psychosis Pace tries to pull in this draft, I could see him reaching for a quarterback and the offensive line issues not getting addressed. to further complicate things, Robinson's probably gone, Miller is whatever, you probably have a receiver that needs to be replaced because he's leaving and another that will need to be addressed later when the rookie deal is up. one of these will need to be handled in this draft.

the team is already in salary cap trouble, they won't and shouldn't splurge in free agency. they kind of maxed that quota out the last 3 years. a lot is already allocated to Foles as it is, and he can't be dealt in 2021. you already have him, you may as well use him. Trubisky should just be let go, a repeat of the 2020 quarterback who does it better scenario doesn't need to be repeated. roll with Bray as your #2. this isn't a must-win season. it's another partial rebuild that will require 2 drafts to fulfill at minimum.

and even still, the Bears probably aren't winning anything.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If it's win now for Pace and Nagy, the only logical thing to do would be to keep Trubisky as starter, Foles as back up and use draft capital and whatever cap space you can manufacture to improve the O-line and get some legit weapons for the offence.

Any other strategy is unlikely to have an impact in one season.

Those who want to trade the farm for a 29-27 QB to replace our 29-23 QB, and provide no upgrade on offence are living in dreamland (and while I think Watson is a better QB then Trubisky, he won't do much with no weapons, as was proved this season in Texas).

I think Trubisky looked better this season, and seems to be on an upward trajectory - with more quality around him, he can easily get you to the play-offs, which would be Pace and Nagy's target for the year.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If it's win now for Pace and Nagy, the only logical thing to do would be to keep Trubisky as starter, Foles as back up and use draft capital and whatever cap space you can manufacture to improve the O-line and get some legit weapons for the offence.

Those who want to trade the farm for a 29-27 QB to replace our 29-23 QB, and provide no upgrade on offence are living in dreamland (and while I think Watson is a better QB then Trubisky, he won't do much with no weapons, as was proved this season in Texas).

I think Trubisky looked better this season, and seems to be on an upward trajectory - with more quality around him, he can easily get you to the play-offs, which would be Pace and Nagy's target for the year.
The problem with Mitch...his “improved” play is still bad. He is never going to be more than what he is......barring a miracle

BigUglyBear

Liked Posts:
I start by accepting that next season is already lost. Move out any vets that you can get any decent return of draft capital for. Draft O Line early. Start prepping to be able to draft a QB or move up to draft a QB the following year with your new staff.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Option 3: Offer a 5 year 40 mill a year contract to Dak

hSYVhMt.gif

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
I would inject Pace and Nagy with hepatitis during the draft and take my chances.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The problem with that idea is that next years schedule looks to have quite a lot of teams that will have a record over .500

Canth

Liked Posts:
The Bears need to keep their draft picks and start getting younger, cheaper talent and depth on the team.

I think there are too many questions about the qb's to spend a ton to trade up for them. Mostly due to just a lack of either experience or competition. So, in the draft, hold the picks or trade back and then take Newmann in maybe the 2nd or 3rd round.

Dump Foles however you can.

Bring in a veteran qb of some sort to bridge to the young qb - whether that is Newmann in this draft or a different guy next year. Until the qb carousel gets going in earnest, it is hard to predict what veteran qb's could be available - Will Carolina keep Bridgewater? What is going to happen with Garropolo? I assume Dallas at least tags Dak again. Can guys like Fitzpatrick, Taylor, or Brissett be a cheaper option that doesn't look like complete crap? Figure out how to sign one of them and pair them with a rookie qb.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The problem with that idea is that next years schedule looks to have quite a lot of teams that will have a record over .500

And any QB with the O line and weapons the Bears have will struggle against that schedule. That's actually the point.

A lot of people on here go on about Mitch struggling to beat teams who have over .500 records. The reality is the Bears can't beat teams over .500 because they are overmatched by better teams. So you have to improve the team, not simply change the QB and mortgage the future.

Deshaun Watson won four games with a crappy team, giving up multiple first round picks to watch him win four games with a crappy team is not the answer.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The problem with Mitch...his “improved” play is still bad. He is never going to be more than what he is......barring a miracle

Any QB with the Bears offence at the moment is going to be bad - Mitch is a good to average QB, 29 wins points to that being a fact. He's certainly serviceable as a starter and definitely has the potential to improve with better players and coaching around him.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Like this:

"Good morning, Bears' quarterback situation. Why do you fucking suck?"

Toast88

Liked Posts:

I wouldn't say the Bears should break the bank for Dak, but there's some weird notion that Dak Prescott isn't good. He is. He's very good.

Dak Prescott started 16 games for four straight seasons, until last year.

He has a career TD/INT of 106/40, including a 30/11 season the year before he was injured.

Including a slumpy sophomore season, he's **averaging** 3,945 passing yards per season, including a 4,900 yard season the year before he was injured.

The real question with Prescott is his injury. But isn't that a risk you think about taking if you're the only NFL franchise who's never had a real quarterback ever?

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Any QB with the Bears offence at the moment is going to be bad - Mitch is a good to average QB, 29 wins points to that being a fact. He's certainly serviceable as a starter and definitely has the potential to improve with better players and coaching around him.
Mitch sucks and will never play another down for the Bears

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
.... and will never play another down for the Bears

That may well be true.

But I think he'll end up as a starter next season, maybe in Chicago, maybe elsewhere, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue to develop his game

Of course. The most Bears thing would be we release hm and he becomes a successful starter in somewhere like Denver or San Francisco, who get him for buttons. While the Bears give up three years of picks on some veteran and then can't figure out why we have the same or worse record.

Not a popular opinion on here, but let's be honest, last summer most on this board would have killed for a straight Trubisky for Foles swap deal with the Eagles

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
That may well be true.

But I think he'll end up as a starter next season, maybe in Chicago, maybe elsewhere, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue to develop his game

Of course. The most Bears thing would be we release hm and he becomes a successful starter in somewhere like Denver or San Francisco, who get him for buttons. While the Bears give up three years of picks on some veteran and then can't figure out why we have the same or worse record.

Not a popular opinion on here, but let's be honest, last summer most on this board would have killed for a straight Trubisky for Foles swap deal with the Eagles
Yeah no to all of that

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And any QB with the O line and weapons the Bears have will struggle against that schedule. That's actually the point.

A lot of people on here go on about Mitch struggling to beat teams who have over .500 records. The reality is the Bears can't beat teams over .500 because they are overmatched by better teams. So you have to improve the team, not simply change the QB and mortgage the future.

Deshaun Watson won four games with a crappy team, giving up multiple first round picks to watch him win four games with a crappy team is not the answer.
So why not go with the guy who’s under contract and a draft pick rather than spending more cap on a guy who has proven he can’t get it done and limit themselves even further in improving the weapons and Oline?

Perhaps they reference it because it’s true? Foles managed it this year, even Daniel managed it last year against a Viking team who finished 10-6