Hub Arkush: No one asking the only question that matters about Deshaun Watson right now

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bears
Something's gotta take our minds off how much shit sucks.
Yea yea I know that, but what do we do when our team isn't playing? With this virus a lot of people have changed their habit. NBA ratings are way down, we as fans can't go to games, so we do more with our families. Sports doesn't seem that it's important to us any longer. Can't go on weekend trips or vacations. Maybe we appreciate our wives or children more. Growing up I made every team sport that I tried out for. And not like today where everyone has to get in the game. My nephew made a baseball team and got to play right field (the dead zone) He was out there lifting his leg in the air instead of paying attention to the game. All I was trying to say that we worry more about our team then maybe the players and owners. They both have millions of not billions. I enjoy posting here very much unlike that WSCR board in the past where it seems most are jerks.
I know it's fun to pretend we're all experts in making roster moves, but to worry what millionaire we want, not so much any longer. Owners and players don't care about us but we gaga over them.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
None of Hubs business or anyone else for that matter

He made a decision that is best for him

:kanye:

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Hub is a fucking idiot. They traded the best receiver in the NFL (arguably) AFTER he signed that contract. Fucking trash article.
They traded Deandre in March , they signed Watson in September

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

Forget rumors and sources. Why is he suddenly so anxious to desert Houston?

By Hub Arkush

February 02, 2021 at 6:52 pm CST
5JFPKIKFWWPXADIEMKGDSXURGU.jpg

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson looks to hand off the ball against the Indianapolis Colts. Watson has reportedly demanded a trade, less than a year after signing a five-year extension with Houston. (AP photo)

Is incredible talent all that matters when it comes to finding a franchise quarterback?
Clearly not.

If it were, space would be being cleared in Canton right now for Jay Cutler, Colin Kaepernick, JaMarcus Russell and Tim Couch to go alongside Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Todd Marinovich and Art Schlichter.
Although each of the disappointments on our list of shame suffered different maladies, all were franchise QB prospects, and all of their perceived warts are found in the character ledger.
That is why unlike most NFL teams that aren’t the Houston Texans, I wouldn’t spend 10 seconds trying to figure out how to trade away my future for Deshaun Watson.

I know. As far as we know, Watson is a fine young man who’s never shown any character flaws at all.
Until now.
With all the noise around Watson and the Texans the past few weeks, nobody is asking the most important question.

Why is Watson trying to force his way out of Houston?
Allegedly it is because he’s unhappy with ownership, football operations and the team’s record on social justice issues.
We don’t know for sure because Watson isn’t talking to anyone, at least not out loud.

There are two huge problems with that.
The first is that in bringing in general manager Nick Caserio and head coach David Culley, the Texans are completely overhauling the football operation, and according to multiple reports, Watson has refused to speak to them to this point.
Here is the second and much bigger issue.

“I’m lost for words, honestly. Been crying a little bit, a lot of bit, really. It’s just an amazing moment for me,” Watson said.
“The money is amazing, it’s life-changing, it’s great, but the biggest thing is for the [organization] to just trust in me and believe in me that I’m their guy. I’m their quarterback is the biggest thing that really touches me.
“Thanks to Cal, Janice, the entire McNair family, coach [Bill] O’Brien, Jack Easterby and the whole Texans organization for helping make my dream a reality. Special thank you to all my teammates, past and present, for believing in me and helping me grow as both a player and a person.

“Last but certainly not least, thank you to the best fans in the NFL. I promise to do everything I can to not only bring a championship to this great city but also leave a legacy of helping positively impact this community.”
That is Watson in his own words only five months ago after signing the second-richest contract in NFL history, committing him to the Texans through 2025, and more than five months after the DeAndre Hopkins trade, which is being reported as one of his main gripes.
So if things have been so impossible in Houston, why did Watson sign the deal, and why is he now so eager to leave all those folks he pledged undying allegiance to?
He would be leaving the organization, teammates and fans he owed an incalculable debt a few months ago in the dust of a complete rebuild, and a team already more than $18 million over the salary cap to eat an additional $21 million dead cap hit.
With friends like that, who needs enemies?
Without having any idea what has caused the radical 180-degree turn in Watson’s commitment to the Texans and Houston, and unable to imagine anything that might justify it, that certainly is not the kind of leader I’d want in my locker room at any price.
All of that said, the only place where he can clean this mess up is Houston by fulfilling the commitments he made, and it continues to be clear the Texans have no intentions for now of trading him.
So if you’re a fan of the Bears or any other QB-needy club, you may want to focus your attention on acquiring someone such as Dak Prescott, Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Marcus Mariota, Kirk Cousins, Sam Darnold, Jimmy Garoppolo, Cam Newton, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston or maybe even Mitch Trubisky.
Sure, most of those guys won’t move, either, and none are the QB Watson is, but at least you’d be looking at somebody who might actually move and who you might even be able to trust.

Hub Arkush is, in my mind, one of the sharpest intellects in sports journalism.

And I think he hit the bullseye on this one.

Be careful what you wish for...

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Kollmann, who happens to be a die hard Texans fan did a in-depth timeline review video of how Bob and upper management sunk that team. Long before trading Hopkins. That was just the cherry on top.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Kollmann, who happens to be a die hard Texans fan did a in-depth timeline review video of how Bob and upper management sunk that team. Long before trading Hopkins. That was just the cherry on top.

But Watson signed his extension well after all that including the Hopkins trade.
Did you listen to the score this morning about 7am? They were talking to this NFL beat guy from Florida who said Watson told his friends he wants to leave Houston because they didn't hire Saleh.
Texans may not even trade him, and if they do its a real longshot he comes here.

Imagine Ted and George thinking man DW wants out because they didn't hire the HC he wanted. We hire the wrong guy here all the time, he won't want to stay here either.

Last edited:

Canth

Liked Posts:
In what world does the QB get to hire the GM and HC? IS this really the reason he wants out?

I think the issue is one of the Texan's own making. They went to Watson to ask for his input. Then they ignored it to the point that they initially did not even interview the two people he suggested and who were two of the hottest coaches on the interviews this year in Bieniemy and Saleh. At a minimum, that essentially means that the Texans likely were not really seriously doing their due diligence. From a 'normal' point of view, I agree that the qb does not need to be involved in those searches. However, they asked for his involvement, then threw it in his face and ignored the actual reasonable input he gave.

Beyond that, there have been a couple of articles how they hired an outside consulting firm to help with the GM search. Allegedly, the search firm was in the process of negotiating a contract for Omar Kahn (VP with the Steelers) to be their next GM when Easterby swooped into the Cal McNair's ear and talked him into hiring his buddy NIck Caserio instead.

So, they are essentially 2 for 2 this year in ignoring the input from the people that they sought for that input and then just going with whoever Easterby wanted - and that was after they said Easterby wasn't going to be involved in any of the GM and Coaching hires. So yeah, they are a hot mess and I can understand why Watson now wants out of that organization.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Probably had to do with JJ Watt's gripe of guys quitting, not caring and just playing for a paycheck. Only DeShaun didn't go public. Houston's locker room is a cancer....

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
But Watson signed his extension well after all that including the Hopkins trade.
Did you listen to the score this morning about 7am? They were talking to this NFL beat guy from Florida who said Watson told his friends he wants to leave Houston because they didn't hire Saleh.
Yeah I heard it. I'm sure that's part of it as well. But it's multifaceted imo. Nothing is as black and white on the surface as it seems. Upper management is totally incompetent, locker room is a mess, they didn't include Watson on the current search like they said they would. The list goes on.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In what world does the QB get to hire the GM and HC? IS this really the reason he wants out?

Perhaps the better question is in what world do you let a chaplain pick the GM after promising your star QB he would have input?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Green Bay, Wisconsin
If that's the case Rodger's hired the guy that drafted his replacement rather than help for him to win a SB. Not seeing it.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Perhaps the better question is in what world do you let a chaplain pick the GM after promising your star QB he would have input?
he gave his input.. they went a different direction that's life..

this does not paint Watson in a good light. Will Watson get pissed at the Bears and refuse to play after the Bears give up the farm to get him as well? I was fine with basically giving up anything to get him but after hearing this my comfort level on what to give up has dropped massively