Hub Arkush: No one asking the only question that matters about Deshaun Watson right now

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Are you saying rebuild the D because we'd have to give up starters to get Watson?

I'm saying that if we invest in Watson, we need to invest in having an OL and weapons. Getting the QB isn't enough. We need to make his job easier.

If the QB doesn't affect the W-L record, why trade for him?

I have no interest in seeing a 4000-4500 yard passer win 4 games.

My interest in Watson would be solely due to my expectation he'd add wins.

I don't doubt that he'd add wins to what we have now. A 4-12 season doesn't tell the whole story. Before this season, the Texans won the AFC South in 2018 and 2019.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I'm saying that if we invest in Watson, we need to invest in having an OL and weapons. Getting the QB isn't enough. We need to make his job easier.

I don't doubt that he'd add wins to what we have now. A 4-12 season doesn't tell the whole story. Before this season, the Texans won the AFC South in 2018 and 2019.

lol, the culture of that team changed drastically last year to fall that much. if you win division back to back, that's not a fluke. they were that good. weird.

to your first point, that's why trading the house to get him is illogical and silly. these are the same people crying about the offensive line, I don't know how the collective deviated from drafting linemen high to trading 4 1st round picks to get someone else's quarterback. just draft a new guy. mold him to Nagy's system. maybe it works better than Trubisky. maybe it doesn't. if the latter, everyone above the player roster is getting scrapped. isn't what everyone really wants?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
lol, the culture of that team changed drastically last year to fall that much. if you win division back to back, that's not a fluke. they were that good. weird.

to your first point, that's why trading the house to get him is illogical and silly. these are the same people crying about the offensive line, I don't know how the collective deviated from drafting linemen high to trading 4 1st round picks to get someone else's quarterback. just draft a new guy. mold him to Nagy's system. maybe it works better than Trubisky. maybe it doesn't. if the latter, everyone above the player roster is getting scrapped. isn't what everyone really wants?

I wonder how much the Hopkins trade had to do with it. O'Brien was a dumb fuck. Lol.

As much as having Watson as our QB sounds great, we're not the Rams. We're not a better QB away from contending for the NFC. We don't have a ton of cap space. We don't have a ton of talent. And we won't have many draft picks. That sounds fucking awful.

People will have to be super patient for a few years due to losing all those picks, unless Pace suddenly becomes the best GM in the NFL. :ROFLMAO: It'll take some building to contend. But having our QB squared away would be the most important piece.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I wonder how much the Hopkins trade had to do with it. O'Brien was a dumb fuck. Lol.

As much as having Watson as our QB sounds great, we're not the Rams. We're not a better QB away from contending for the NFC. We don't have a ton of cap space. We don't have a ton of talent. And we won't have many draft picks. That sounds fucking awful.

People will have to be super patient for a few years due to losing all those picks, unless Pace suddenly becomes the best GM in the NFL. :ROFLMAO: It'll take some building to contend. But having our QB squared away would be the most important piece.

yeah, I'm not disputing at all that the position is a problem either, I'm just saying there's probably a more feasible way to go about addressing it. it's like the same tired stories about how the team could've drafted Mahomes. like he's great, I agree, but you don't have Andy Reid calling the shots, you have a fifth rate variant of him that coincidentally is from his coaching tree. you don't have the offensive playmakers the Chiefs do. you don't have someone calling the defense like the Chiefs do either. (which I acknowledge has been somewhat addressed.) like there's too many different variables at stake. Mahomes on the Bears will not be the same as Mahomes on the Chiefs. Watson, I guess he did more with less, it's plausible he would work well with the Bears, but you still have nitwit calling the offense.

like I said, there's a more feasible way to get a quarterback. draft your own. it's not like every pick outside #10 overall is some barren wasteland of nobodies. but I sure know a lot of first round picks that didn't amount to a whole lot.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
yeah, I'm not disputing at all that the position is a problem either, I'm just saying there's probably a more feasible way to go about addressing it. it's like the same tired stories about how the team could've drafted Mahomes. like he's great, I agree, but you don't have Andy Reid calling the shots, you have a fifth rate variant of him that coincidentally is from his coaching tree. you don't have the offensive playmakers the Chiefs do. you don't have someone calling the defense like the Chiefs do either. (which I acknowledge has been somewhat addressed.) like there's too many different variables at stake. Mahomes on the Bears will not be the same as Mahomes on the Chiefs. Watson, I guess he did more with less, it's plausible he would work well with the Bears, but you still have nitwit calling the offense.

like I said, there's a more feasible way to get a quarterback. draft your own. it's not like every pick outside #10 overall is some barren wasteland of nobodies. but I sure know a lot of first round picks that didn't amount to a whole lot.

For me, I think that's the biggest reason why Watson sounds like such a great get for the Bears. Nagy attempting to develop a rookie, is my fucking nightmare. I'm fairly certain that going from Fox and Loggains to Nagy would have turned Mahomes into Jay Cutler.

Another team is likely going to put a better package together for Watson. Matt Ryan is supposedly staying put. I feel like our best option is probably going to be to trade up to try to get Zach Wilson. But I feel like we'd have to trade with Miami in order to do that at #3.

I just think it'll be hilarious if Pace is talking about how we're huge players in the QB hunt, and we end up with Mariota or Fitzpatrick or something. That would be so Bears.

mecha

Liked Posts:
For me, I think that's the biggest reason why Watson sounds like such a great get for the Bears. Nagy attempting to develop a rookie, is my fucking nightmare. I'm fairly certain that going from Fox and Loggains to Nagy would have turned Mahomes into Jay Cutler.

Another team is likely going to put a better package together for Watson. Matt Ryan is supposedly staying put. I feel like our best option is probably going to be to trade up to try to get Zach Wilson. But I feel like we'd have to trade with Miami in order to do that at #3.

I just think it'll be hilarious if Pace is talking about how we're huge players in the QB hunt, and we end up with Mariota or Fitzpatrick or something. That would be so Bears.

you all remember what it was like when they got Foles last year? that was to temper your expectations.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
he gave his input.. they went a different direction that's life..

this does not paint Watson in a good light. Will Watson get pissed at the Bears and refuse to play after the Bears give up the farm to get him as well? I was fine with basically giving up anything to get him but after hearing this my comfort level on what to give up has dropped massively

No the view of Watson and observers is that McNair lied to him. In addition to wanting input people were told the former NE chaplain would have no input on the GM search and McNair went against the recommendations of his own search firm to hire a NE guy.

As for your comfort level do you.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Makes sense. Let the 25 yr old qb make a front office decision for the whole organization. This is a perfect example of a kid being cuddled all thru his highschool and college playing days that finally when he gets told no he cant handle it.

The Texans went to Watson and told him he would be involved on behalfof the players.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
No the view of Watson and observers is that McNair lied to him. In addition to wanting input people were told the former NE chaplain would have no input on the GM search and McNair went against the recommendations of his own search firm to hire a NE guy.

As for your comfort level do you.

So what.. thats not a lie..
Its well documented that McNair told him he could have some input.. Watson gave his recommendation with Saleh and Bieniemy.. HE GAVE HIS INPUT! McNair obviously didn't like them as an option and went a different direction. THAT IS NOT A LIE, THATS IS A GROWN MAN ACTING LIKE A BABY BECAUSE HE DIDNT GET HIS WAY.

one time a friend of mine asked me for advice on what kind of snow blower to get, a Toro or a Craftsman, I told him to get the Craftsman.. that lying motherfucker got a toro! Haven't talked to him in years! You lie to me you are as good as dead to me! and not taking my advice is the same as lying!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Its well documented that McNair told him he could have some input.. Watson gave his recommendation with Saleh and Bieniemy.. HE GAVE HIS INPUT! McNair obviously didn't like them as an option and went a different direction. THAT IS NOT A LIE, THATS IS A GROWN MAN ACTING LIKE A BABY BECAUSE HE DIDNT GET HIS WAY.

one time a friend of mine asked me for advice on what kind of snow blower to get, a Toro or a Craftsman, I told him to get the Craftsman.. that lying motherfucker got a toro! Haven't talked to him in years! You lie to me you are as good as dead to me! and not taking my advice is the same as lying!

You are confused. I am not referring to his being given input. There were two main lies McNair told.

1. He stated Esterby would not be involved but then hired the GM based on Esterby's recommendation as both came from NE.

2. He told Watson he would keep him informed but then Watson found out about the GM hire not from McNair but same time as fans.

So yes he was lied too.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:

All great players are like that. MJ had doug collins fired and made them hire phil jackson. He was nixed a trade for scottie pippen. It's ridiculous to think a player of watson's magnitude should have no say in FO decisons.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Well , looks like a win for your former friend. No real friend would ever recommend Sears crap.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All this fuss over what millionaire we'd like to have. While the most of us are very happy with what we have and the job we do. Unless your a Keystone worker. Millions of families are struggling right now but it seems we're so worried about what QB we get. I'm in that group also sadly to say but I can live without the NFL just like I don't follow the NBA any longer. We all should be lucky to have talent like Watson but I never understood paying any pro player the amount they're getting.
Sign these guys at contact they sign and like Watson cry about a couple of years later. Or the GM's complain they don't have the money to sign anyone else. Duh you just signed one guy for $40 million per year. Trading for Mack on his salary was it really worth it? For you older guys remember back when pros had to have a second job during the off season? Now they complain at ONLY getting $16 mill per year. I love the Bears and White Sox, but nowadays I can't afford to take my family to a game. $8.50 for a beer is that fair? We make an extra trip just to save on a six pack. Ah maybe I'm getting old.
I remember $5K new cars and $50K houses too but what's that got to do with team's that get over TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY MILLION dollars each from the league's television package alone spending 175-198 million of it on payroll.......that's the floor and the ceiling.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In sure it went exactly that way

Maybe McNair's apology is a far-reaching one. And maybe there is more the organization can do to repair the chasm ... not because Watson needs to be "appeased,'' as many inaccurately speculate, but rather, because honesty and forthrightness are needed here.

After the Texans hired New England Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio as the new general manager, Watson reportedly did not respond to contact from the club.

Why? Because management had pledged to involve him, as a locker-room voice, in the search for a new GM and a new coach.

That betrayal was real and ill-advised ... as was the trade of Hopkins, an error that demonstrated this front office's inability to "read the room.''

I mean I dont know what you want me to say. I am sure you have a better idea than all the reporters including Houston beat reporters that have reported on this.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I used to be a fan of Hub, but in recent years he's just turned into a contrarian.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Watson knows he is never winning any Superbowls in the AFC.... here are the young QBs in the AFC who are going to be playing for the next 10 years - Mahomes, Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Herbert, Insert Jets QB who they will draft this year

Every single one of those AFC QBs I listed above are as good or better than him

? lol wut?