Hub's picks for Bears Top 5 Big Board

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
For the record I tend to believe that since PFW went under Hub has been more objective in his coverage of our Bears. Before that he seemed hell bent on being as negative as possible about our guys after they fired his ass. Below was posted today on his new Chicago Football site.

I have spent the last 36 years analyzing and predicting the NFL Draft from the national perspective with no allegiance to any single team. As such, my “Draft Board” has never included allowances for a specific team’s needs.

That contrast has been screaming at me the past 36 hours or so since our friends at Bleacher Report asked me for my top five choices for the Bears at No. 14 in the first round.

The top five players on my overall draft board as it sits today are: 1. Jadeveon Clowney, 2. Khalil Mack, 3. Sammy Watkins, 4. Greg Robinson and 5. Anthony Barr.

But there is no point in putting any of those players on my “Bears Board” because there isn’t a snowball’s chance down south that any of them will be available at 14.

6-10 on my board are 6. Blake Bortles, 7. Jake Matthews, 8. Kelvin Benjamin, 9. Justin Gilbert and 10. C.J. Mosley.

The Bears are not in a position to consider Bortles or Benjamin, and I can’t find a scenario in which Matthews or Mosley last to 14.

Gilbert shouldn’t slide to 14, but he could. Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel will almost certainly be overdrafted, even though there is no way they’re among the 15 best prospects in this draft. Eric Ebron, Derek Carr, Timmy Jernigan and Aaron Donald could be taken too high as well.

It also is worth noting that there are miniscule differences in the grades that most NFL teams and I will put on players ranked between seven and 10, 12 and 15, etc.

Gilbert shouldn’t be there for the Bears, but he could be and, if he is, I would hope the Bears would jump all over him. Their greatest need is at safety, and it’s easy to argue their second greatest need is cornerback.

Gilbert could step in at free safety on Day One of training camp or, better yet, the Bears could move Tillman to safety and start Gilbert at corner, strengthening their two biggest weaknesses with one pick.

That is why Gilbert is No. 1 on my “Bears Board.”

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor are the two best pure safeties in this draft, and I have them as the 18th and 19th best prospects overall. Again, the difference in the grades I have on them and 12. Stephon Tuitt, 13. Marqise Lee and 14. Taylor Lewan is miniscule.

The Bears need two new starting safeties. If Gilbert, Clinton-Dix or Pryor are available at 14, they have to take one as both the best available player and their greatest need, so Clinton-Dix and Pryor are Nos. 2 and 3.

Unlike many, I don’t believe Jernigan or Donald are among the top 25 prospects in this draft.

I have Tuitt at No. 4 on my Bears Board because he may be able to play a three-, four- or five-technique depending on where he lands.

The problem is the Bears already have signed five defensive ends, and Jeremiah Ratliff, Nate Collins and Lamarr Houston in free agency. Phil Emery has said he wants Allen, Young and Houston on the field at the same time. Houston’s best fit is really as a three-technique, and Allen and Young aren’t sliding inside.

why would you reach for Jernigan or Donald and still leave huge holes in the secondary? Tuitt is a better prospect and at least his versatility makes sense.

Eric Ebron is in the fifth slot on my Bears Board. I know, Martellus Bennett is set at tight end. But Ebron is one of the top six or seven athletes in this draft, the Bears have zero depth behind Bennett, and what if the Bears trade down? Ebron has potential Pro Bowler written all over him.

Of course I’d love a Clowney, Matthews or Mosley, but realistically Gilbert is probably the very best the Bears can hope for, and Clinton-Dix or Pryor would be really nice fits.

Hub's Bears Big Board

1. Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert

2. Alabama FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

3. Louisville SS Calvin Pryor

4. Notre Dame DT Stephon Tuitt

5. North Carolina TE Eric Ebron

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
My Board:

1. Aaron Donald DT
2. Justin Gilbert CB
3. HaHa Clinton-Dix FS
4. Calvin Pryor SS
5a. Kyle Fuller CB
5b. Kony Ealy DE

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I honestly don't understand anyone's love for Stephon Tuitt especially as the 14th overall pick for the Bears. The same can be said for Calvin Pryor who may not be among the five best safeties in this draft in Dix, Bucannon, Ward etc.

What am I missing with Tuitt that so many other people seem to love?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
My Board:

1. Aaron Donald DT
2. Justin Gilbert CB
3. HaHa Clinton-Dix FS
4. Calvin Pryor SS
5a. Kyle Fuller CB
5b. Kony Ealy DE
Nice board but i just can't see going DE with our 1st pick even though i'm a Ealy fan.

james sanders

DE/OLB
Liked Posts:
Why would anybody actually want to draft Ebron? We have bigger needs and Ebron doesn't block very well. And Tuitt and #4? Seriously?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't understand anyone's love for Stephon Tuitt especially as the 14th overall pick for the Bears. The same can be said for Calvin Pryor who may not be among the five best safeties in this draft in Dix, Bucannon, Ward etc.

I think you're the only one I've heard ever suggest that.

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Cant see mosley being there at 14 and tuitt as an option there? Lol ok hub

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Odd that he has Mosley that high. Definitely does not strike me as a guy who will be a top 10 pick, especially if the injury rumors are true.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Nice board but i just can't see going DE with our 1st pick even though i'm a Ealy fan.

That would be my scenario if all others are off the board and we cant get good value on a trade down. Also Ealy has a lot of potential and has shown steady improvement and Allen is probably only here 2 years.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:

I don't get it either. Tuitt would get stonewalled consistently against college o-lineman. Every once in a while he'd bust through the line, or get a coverage sack. He's definitely not a DE. He's a project at DT, as that's not his natural position. I don't like his burst, I don't think he's particularly strong, and I don't think he showed an ability to consistently win one on one matchups, let alone double teams. Not that my opinion matters, but I graded him out as a 3-5th round guy. He has good athleticism for someone his size, but just hasn't shown why he should be a day 1, or even day 2, pick.

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
Odd that he has Mosley that high. Definitely does not strike me as a guy who will be a top 10 pick, especially if the injury rumors are true.

Right, i dont think theres zero chance mosley goes before 14 (not likely though). But to think there is no scenario in which hes available at 14 is nuts.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
My board:

1. Donald
2. Gilbert
3. Clinton-Dix
4. Ebron
5. Mosley

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I left Mosley off my top 5 because of injury history, I'm not a doctor so I dont know how serious his injuries are, but from a fans point of view it bothers me. Thanks a lot Angelo.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

He played for Notre Dame?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not as down on Donald as Hub is, but not as high on him as many on a certain message board.

Sub Donald in at number four and I totally agree with Hub.....and that unnerves the heck out of me.

If the Bears pass on Donald...I would not be shocked with Houston at 3-tech.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

Injury concerns aside, many believe Mosley is a better fit at WLB than MLB at the next level and non pass-rushing OLB's rarely get drafted in the first let alone top 10. Heck very few MLB's taken that high anymore, unless you believe he is a Luke Kuechly type prospect not sure you can justify taking him that high.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
My board

Donald
HaHa
Gilbert