I have to admit (Tony Snell Thread)

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I still held out hope for him honestly. I saw a few things from him in his rookie year, similar to Butler that told me he could be a decent player.

Unlike Marquis Teague, who always looked like garbage to me.

I might be wrong, but I think that Snell had a sort of chip on his shoulder when he joined the Bulls. I don't think that some of the veterans on the team, especially Noah, liked the way he tried to or rather so didn't try to fit in. I thought that he was kind of a loner. That was my impression anyway.

Maybe Snell just matured some. He showed some glimpses last year of some good talent esecially defensively when he got a chance to play. I think that it once again, is his additional hustle on the defensive end that earned him some additional time and it has paid off with more offensive production also.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I REALLY hope I'm wrong and it has to do with his lack of minutes and games so he looks out of place but when McDermott is on the floor he looks a bit frantic and lost and out of place kind of similar to how Teague looked.

Frankly, I don't remember what Teague looked like since he played so little. I think that McDermott will be a good NBA player. You can't ignroe his stroke which is pure. Teague never could shoot worth a crap. I just hope that McDermott's pedigree as a coach's kid and a four year player will get him through a tough rookie year. But hell, though, all he needs to do is to look at the success stories that Thibs has had with young players as long as they buy into his program and not fight him about it.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When you really look at it, McDermott was really the only Bulls draft pick in my memory who was drafted for his shooting ability. I'm leaving Mirotic aside because he was more than a draft pick as far as I am concerned. He was a project. But the other Bulls picks were pretty much gotten for their defense and rebounding areas, not their scoring.

It might just be also, that McDermott was not Thibs choice but rather Gar/Pax and if so, then he would have a little sharper hill to climb if so.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Kinda shows that Thibs is intimidating in the fact that if you miss a few shots, Thibs will probably bench you, unless you're already an established star.

In addition:

Thibs likely has a ton of confidence in him now.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Kirk has played a total of 465 more minutes this season than Snell. He's only made 5 more 3's.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Kirk has played a total of 465 more minutes this season than Snell. He's only made 5 more 3's.
Well Kirk's minutes were definitely lower in that Det game we lost.. Kirk probably played the best out of the bench unit that game too. He's back to being out since then though... oddly the Bulls are 7-0 without him during this stretch :thinking:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This probably has much to do with Hinrich shooting like 33% from 3 and Tony shooting near 40%.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well Kirk's minutes were definitely lower in that Det game we lost.. Kirk probably played the best out of the bench unit that game too. He's back to being out since then though... oddly the Bulls are 7-0 without him during this stretch :thinking:
Aren't they also 11-5 with him playing 30+ minutes? Guess he has to play a lot or not at all for us to win :elephant:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Aren't they also 11-5 with him playing 30+ minutes? Guess he has to play a lot or not at all for us to win :elephant:
So he's Marco Bellini now?

Interesting in actually looking this up and breaking it down...

30+ mpg they are 11-5

20-30 mpg they are 12-10

1-20 mpg they are 3-3

Without him they are 10-2

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

Kinda shows that Thibs is intimidating in the fact that if you miss a few shots, Thibs will probably bench you, unless you're already an established star.

This is exactly why I stick up for McD. Imagine what McD is trying to accomplish in 1-2 minutes per game. It makes total sense that McD is going to try too hard to do something, not that the 'short leash' apply's to a minute. :lol:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This is exactly why I stick up for McD. Imagine what McD is trying to accomplish in 1-2 minutes per game. It makes total sense that McD is going to try too hard to do something, not that the 'short leash' apply's to a minute. :lol:
McD is at the point where he's red shirted... His best chance is to have another good summer league, a good preseason and work his way into the rotation with confidence. It'll also hope if the Bulls shed a few players in the off season (Dunleavy might be gone, Gibson could be traded). Snell would then start, and Niko would have the backup PF spot while McD then holds the backup SF spot.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
McD is at the point where he's red shirted... His best chance is to have another good summer league, a good preseason and work his way into the rotation with confidence. It'll also hope if the Bulls shed a few players in the off season (Dunleavy might be gone, Gibson could be traded). Snell would then start, and Niko would have the backup PF spot while McD then holds the backup SF spot.
At this point, there's no reason to think that his next preseason won't be like this one was. He should have another good summer league and start the preseason as the primary backup SF.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So he's Marco Bellini now?

Interesting in actually looking this up and breaking it down...

30+ mpg they are 11-5

20-30 mpg they are 12-10

1-20 mpg they are 3-3

Without him they are 10-2
Interesting indeed. Though in that 20-30 minute range, I doubt he's the primary reason for that record. That record with him out though...

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but this is unacceptable, imo, and Snell should be the shining example of Thib's hurting the teams progress. The Bulls have had a primary need for shooting for years, and Thib's is stunting the development of the very players that can address this weakness. This is ONE good example of what Thib's can do better as a Head coach!

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
At this point, there's no reason to think that his next preseason won't be like this one was. He should have another good summer league and start the preseason as the primary backup SF.

Especially if McD has a new coach. Just saying. :dunno:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Interesting indeed. Though in that 20-30 minute range, I doubt he's the primary reason for that record. That record with him out though...
Well in that 20-30 minute range he's shooting 33% from the field and 34% from 3 point range. Not very good.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well in that 20-30 minute range he's shooting 33% from the field and 34% from 3 point range. Not very good.
I think he's shooting about that well on the season anyway so...:elephant:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying that you are wrong, but this is unacceptable, imo, and Snell should be the shining example of Thib's hurting the teams progress. The Bulls have had a primary need for shooting for years, and Thib's is stunting the development of the very players that can address this weakness. This is ONE good example of what Thib's can do better as a Head coach!
Thibs wants immediate difference makers.. It is perhaps a flaw that he's not patient with the young guys until he's forced to play them due to injuries (and well there are always injuries). I'd also argue he's not very patient with shooters. Year after year we've seen pure offense guys be benched until injury forces them to play and then Thibs says 'Okay, fine you're in" Nate Robinson played an amazing 2nd half of the season in 2012-13.. Before that 2nd half he was jerked around, given inconsistent minutes, injuries forced him into the role to play. Now Nate hasn't been able to stick anywhere after us, so its also probably some of Nate's own doing.

Marco was another player that got widely consistent playing time until injuries forced him to play.

DJ Augustin isn't having as much success anymore either, but he was pretty much put in right away to begin with. There was no delay there from Thibs.

Granted all these guys listed are just bench players, and rarely do bench players lead you to the promise land (They can help though, and I'd argue the Bulls have a solid bench to help now).

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you not recall how poorly Snell was playing prior to like two weeks ago? Snell got minutes and didn't do anything with them until just recently. So did Thibs stunt his growth, or help his growth?