I rewatched the Bears Eagles playoff game....

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
And yet you’ve singled out Mitch multiple times even comparing him to Cutler in the NFCCG against Green Bay
Dude talks out of both sides of his mouth when discussing the Bears QB. Always has, always will.
If the Bears played the Texans in the Super Bowl and beat them 63-0 and Mitch had a perfect passer rating along with his 6 passing tds and 3 rushing tds 350 passing yards 125 rushing yards, threw a td pass to himself, no sacks taken, no turnovers.....@bearmick would praise Watson for trying as hard as he could with inferior help around home and deny that Trubisky had anything to do with the victory because everyone around him makes him better

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If the Bears played the Texans in the Super Bowl and beat them 63-0 and Mitch had a perfect passer rating along with his 6 passing tds and 3 rushing tds 350 passing yards 125 rushing yards, threw a td pass to himself, no sacks taken, no turnovers.....@bearmick would praise Watson for trying as hard as he could with inferior help around home and deny that Trubisky had anything to do with the victory because everyone around him makes him better
Just one of the reasons he and his cronies are on ignore...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When you throw for 300 yards and a 90 rating against a playoff D, tweaked to limit your personal production, it probably wasn't your fault, especially when you make the plays needed at crunch time. It was a coming of age moment that our Kicker flushed down the toilet. I still think it gave the team and Mitch the confidence it needed going into this year.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not so sure that the pass to Cohen would have been easily picked for 6 from that pic, I guess I would need to see the actual play in it's entirety. Looks like if the ball is thrown quickly, it's a 1st down with a few extra yards.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Long was absolutely atrocious this game, but he hasn't put together a solid game in over 4 years so i fully expected him to get blown up early and often.

Good thread @Bort

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is from the first drive of the game. This is a nice play design and probably would have gone for a nice chuck of yardage if Daniels and Massie hadn't completely whiffed on their blocks.

It's a 2 WR, 1TE, 2 RB set, but the Eagles are in nickel (because Cohen does that to teams). Trubs has the option of throwing a swing pass to Cohen to the leftt or handing off to Mizzell for a run to the right. This is a great play design because you're either going to get Cohen out in space or you're going to get a blocking mismatch running to the right because there's a nickel CB instead of a WILL.

View attachment 2113

A lot is going on here. You can see Trubs and Cohen looking at each other. Trubs makes the right decision by handing it off because the SAM crashed in, and with Cohen standing at the 35 yard line, that might be a pick 6 if Trubs pulls it in and tries to make that throw. Meanwhile, as I've highlighted, Daniels gets beaten immediately by Jergensen with a swim move and is just punching at air, and Bennett already has Massie on his hip.

View attachment 2114

Jurgensen and Bennett have completely beaten Daniels and Massie and are going to blow up the play. It's really worth emphasizing that this should have been a big gainer. The corner bailed, Whitehair is going to steamroll the nickel CB, and there's all that empty grass to the right side of the play. If Daniels and Massie could have just held their blocks for 2 seconds, Mizzell would have gotten himself a nice chunk.

View attachment 2115

There was really nothing Mizzell could have done here, and he actually did a good job of turning a 4 yard loss into a 1 yard loss by making Jurgensen miss and dragging Bennett for a couple yards.

View attachment 2116

At the end of the play, Daniels manages to perform the Loser's Pancake, whereby you completely whiff on your block, then the defender completely whiffs on the tackle, then you jump on the defender's back at the end of the play (widely revered as most incompetent pancake block possible).

View attachment 2117

Completely disagree here. Should have thrown to Cohen as he has two blockers in front of him. A pro QB has to be able to get that ball past the SAM. A more confident Trubs probably makes that pass next year.

Was the line great against the Eagles? Hell no. Nevertheless, Trubs held the ball too long at times and is indecisive especially against a team with a good pass rush but shaky secondary. Against a lesser DL, you can hold the ball and buy time with your feet. Against the Eagles, ball needed to be out more often than not once he completed his drop.

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
When you throw for 300 yards and a 90 rating against a playoff D, tweaked to limit your personal production, it probably wasn't your fault, especially when you make the plays needed at crunch time.

Eagles D was nominally a "playoff D", but was mediocre at best and terrible against the pass all year long. Opposing QBs averaged 289 yards and a 93.4 rating against the Eagles, so Trubisky throwing for 300 yards and a 90 rating doesn't move the needle much for me. I was more put off by the Bears scoring only 15 points (Eagles gave up 22/game) and had 11 failed 3rd down conversions.

I guess my point is that it was several people's "fault", including Mitch. And that is even after realizing that the Eagles players are paid salaries, too!

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been hearing the grumblings of a bad oline on and off for awhile now. I just hope it doesn't turn into a scapegoat for Trubisky's development. I've heard for years how good the oline was considering the picks, and how Pace was a genius and getting a lot of bang for his buck.

Trubisky struggles? "Oline is pedestrian."

Also, a lot of QBs have to deal with average to below average o-lines. You just don't hear it because you don't follow those teams close enough to know.

I'll credit Bearmick, but as Bears fans, we have to be careful not to be using the "hardship multiplier" when evaluating Trubisky. That's how you get fans defending Cutler for 8 years. All QBs have problems; no one is on a perfect team.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And yet you’ve singled out Mitch multiple times even comparing him to Cutler in the NFCCG against Green Bay

He could have done better, as could others. I've never said the loss was on him or any other single person, nor had I even posted in this thread, so I'm not sure what your unprovoked personal call or is all about.

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
He could have done better, as could others. I've never said the loss was on him or any other single person, not had I even posted in this thread, so I'm not sure what your unprovoked personal call or is all about.

Multiple times, tho

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Against the Eagles, ball needed to be out more often than not once he completed his drop.

For sure this, but it was where Trubisky struggled most last season as a whole...so not a surprise. There is "extending the play" with your feet and there is just going blank trying to make something happen.

To his credit...last season was the season for it to happen. New coach, new playbook, new receivers, etc. He has to be faster now because the entire team is built to kill you with quickness and that will never work with a quarterback that hesitates with almost every step.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Eagles D probably a "bad matchup" for Trubisky. Eagles fatal flaw was giving up long pass plays for easy TDs...Mitch's fatal flaw was being inaccurate on long pass plays for easy TDs. If you tried to drive methodically downfield against the Eagles, eventually they would stuff you on 3rd and short or get a sack on a 3rd and long.

That's kind of what made the Saints-Eagles game so close...Brees was hurt and couldn't throw downfield that well, and the Eagles were fine with allowing short passes and Kamara runs. End result was just 20 points given up.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I've said it time and time again. Kyle Long is nearly worthless. Any RT you put next to Kyle Long is going to look bad when he is playing like shit. Its not a coincidence that Leno looked perfectly fine when Kyle was riding the pine. Long is dead weight both as a player and cap space.
I mean it's a given that an unhealthy Kyle Long is a liabilty, but I never knew his mere insertion into the game confused Leno to the point that he lined up at the wrong tackle spot. Fucking Leno continued to waltz out to the LT spot all game long. Even the coaching staff didn't correct him. It's like Long is the personification of huffed paint, sending any player or coach near him into a mental stupor.

Come to think of it, has Long come in your shoe store recently?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
xer0h0ur is the CCS version of huffed paint. I've never figured out why he insists on attempting to troll this forum...when you have no football knowledge whatsoever, it kind of takes away from the troll effect.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I've been hearing the grumblings of a bad oline on and off for awhile now. I just hope it doesn't turn into a scapegoat for Trubisky's development. I've heard for years how good the oline was considering the picks, and how Pace was a genius and getting a lot of bang for his buck.

Trubisky struggles? "Oline is pedestrian."

Also, a lot of QBs have to deal with average to below average o-lines. You just don't hear it because you don't follow those teams close enough to know.

I'll credit Bearmick, but as Bears fans, we have to be careful not to be using the "hardship multiplier" when evaluating Trubisky. That's how you get fans defending Cutler for 8 years. All QBs have problems; no one is on a perfect team.
Actually, I think that's one of the most under rated parts of Trubisky's "game"... he has the ability to cover up a lot of mistakes the o-line makes. He excels at sensing pressure and escaping it. Also, a lot of the play designs seemed to be made with the o-lines inefficiencies in mind. Just going off memory here, but it seemed the Bears ran a lot of designed rollouts and quick hitting horizontal passes, certainly more than the league average. Nagy hardly ever called a play that required Trubs to 5 or 7 step drop into a 50 yard deep ball. I think this had more to do with the line play than it did Trubisky IMO

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I mean it's a given that an unhealthy Kyle Long is a liabilty,
After spending 4 long years being 'unhealthy', cant we just assume this is his norm? I guess we could sit here and hope Kyle's legs somehow grow back to NFL size, or that his belly manages to deflate from oversized beach ball status, but that all just seems unlikely.

This is all so ironic to me considering 'speed' was Long's best attribute when he was useful 5+ years ago. Now i'd wager he's the slowest of the starting linemen on the Bears. That's not great.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Completely disagree here. Should have thrown to Cohen as he has two blockers in front of him. A pro QB has to be able to get that ball past the SAM. A more confident Trubs probably makes that pass next year.

Was the line great against the Eagles? Hell no. Nevertheless, Trubs held the ball too long at times and is indecisive especially against a team with a good pass rush but shaky secondary. Against a lesser DL, you can hold the ball and buy time with your feet. Against the Eagles, ball needed to be out more often than not once he completed his drop.

That's an easy pitch & catch for an elite QB or even simply a good QB. Hoping that his confidence in making those throws much quicker improves this year.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Eagles D was nominally a "playoff D", but was mediocre at best and terrible against the pass all year long. Opposing QBs averaged 289 yards and a 93.4 rating against the Eagles, so Trubisky throwing for 300 yards and a 90 rating doesn't move the needle much for me. I was more put off by the Bears scoring only 15 points (Eagles gave up 22/game) and had 11 failed 3rd down conversions.

I guess my point is that it was several people's "fault", including Mitch. And that is even after realizing that the Eagles players are paid salaries, too!

Was it a great performance like some here are projecting? No, but I was encouraged with his late play in that game. But for those pointing to his stats as if it was some great game is laughable. He left points out on the field

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This is the first season in 3 that Long won't be starting the season preinjured or coming off multiple surgerys and not allowing for proper training, and the first in 4 since playing as a healthy RG. I think the doubts about his ability to stay healthy is reflected in his contract reducing restructure. Any player as injured as he has been is going to be a lesser self, but I think he can still be a plus RG if starting the season healthy allows him to stay that way. That is unless he continues to cause Leno to line up at the wrong position.

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Eagles D probably a "bad matchup" for Trubisky. Eagles fatal flaw was giving up long pass plays for easy TDs...Mitch's fatal flaw was being inaccurate on long pass plays for easy TDs. If you tried to drive methodically downfield against the Eagles, eventually they would stuff you on 3rd and short or get a sack on a 3rd and long.

That's kind of what made the Saints-Eagles game so close...Brees was hurt and couldn't throw downfield that well, and the Eagles were fine with allowing short passes and Kamara runs. End result was just 20 points given up.
With the speed on the team Trubisky did not even need to hit a deep bomb beyond the defense, he just needed to hit the players in stride on the Medium passes and let them do the rest.

As far as the O-line goes, I think we might have a chance to see some improvement. Whitehair going back to guard, Daniel playing center, Long healthy, Leno still is the most consistent, and Massie has improved to the point that it would take a lot to replace him at the position...