I rewatched the Bears Eagles playoff game....

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Eagles D was nominally a "playoff D", but was mediocre at best and terrible against the pass all year long. Opposing QBs averaged 289 yards and a 93.4 rating against the Eagles, so Trubisky throwing for 300 yards and a 90 rating doesn't move the needle much for me. I was more put off by the Bears scoring only 15 points (Eagles gave up 22/game) and had 11 failed 3rd down conversions.

I guess my point is that it was several people's "fault", including Mitch. And that is even after realizing that the Eagles players are paid salaries, too!
I can accept that but holding the ball too long was part of the Eagles playing tight early. Nagy was outschemed in the 1st 1/2 when he didn't change the original game plan after losing his starting TE.

So Mitch played to an average rating with 10% more yards than the Eagles usually give up. It's 269, not 289 YPG. Don't see that as a the problem when he also took 1 less sack than the Eagles average with that line play. Mitch was not missing the deep stuff that day and rarely had time to wait for it. Not a great game but not one to hang on him either.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've been hearing the grumblings of a bad oline on and off for awhile now. I just hope it doesn't turn into a scapegoat for Trubisky's development. I've heard for years how good the oline was considering the picks, and how Pace was a genius and getting a lot of bang for his buck.

Trubisky struggles? "Oline is pedestrian."

Also, a lot of QBs have to deal with average to below average o-lines. You just don't hear it because you don't follow those teams close enough to know.

I'll credit Bearmick, but as Bears fans, we have to be careful not to be using the "hardship multiplier" when evaluating Trubisky. That's how you get fans defending Cutler for 8 years. All QBs have problems; no one is on a perfect team.
Oline should be fine this year but they played poorly in the playoff game and were bottom 3rd all year. Mitch didn't need an excuse for that game and shouldn't be getting any this year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Oline should be fine this year but they played poorly in the playoff game and were bottom 3rd all year. Mitch didn't need an excuse for that game and shouldn't be getting any this year.

Im a big mitch supporter, liked him since he was at NC. Hoped we'd draft him, was ecstatic when we did.

However, I'll even have no excuses for him if he doesn't improve this year. Year 3 is when most QB's make that jump. He is the difference between us being a borderline playoff team this year and the best team in the league. Hopefully he takes that jump.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im a big mitch supporter, liked him since he was at NC. Hoped we'd draft him, was ecstatic when we did.

However, I'll even have no excuses for him if he doesn't improve this year. Year 3 is when most QB's make that jump. He is the difference between us being a borderline playoff team this year and the best team in the league. Hopefully he takes that jump.

Thanks and I can confirm that you have always supported Mitch, so we can agree in that respect.

However... WHY IS ROBBIE GOULD NOT ON THE BEARS YET?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
He could have done better, as could others. I've never said the loss was on him or any other single person, nor had I even posted in this thread, so I'm not sure what your unprovoked personal call or is all about.
Sure comparing him to jay cutler in the NFFCG isn’t implying the loss is on him.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky's biggest weakness (and typical for young QBs) is the zone defense....Trubisky saw a lot of it.

Once he starts to figure it out a little more he will improve. He started to get better at it later in the year and was anticipating a bit better.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
289 is the gross. 269 is the net when you subtract the sack yardage. Opposing QBs averaged 289 yards passing per game against the Eagles...still holds true.
A little bit OT i suppose, but i never was a big fan of using YPG as a measurement to how "good" a team was on the defensive side, at least without context.

I specifically remember how this place 'reacted' after the 1st year of Mel Tucker being in Chicago, the 2013 season. People here were adamant the Bears pass defense was a "strength" (!) because they finished the season ranked 15th in the league at 233.1 YPG allowed. Meanwhile, the Bears were so far in dead last in terms of rush defense that the 31st ranked team couldn't even see them. They finished the season with 161.4 YPG allowed, next closest allowed 135.8 YPG, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Its like this bizarro place is/was incapable of realizing that teams literally didn't have to throw the ball against the bears, they were too busy embarrassing the run defense and shutting out a bulimic offense. Their pass defense rank wasn't a reflection of how good or even average the bears were against the pass, it was a reflection of how little teams had to actually do to beat that pathetic team.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
True but different scenario with last year's scheme and run game.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The Eagles front 4 have been really good for a couple years now. Remember, with essentially the same group they won a Superbowl.

For the Bears there are some nice pieces along the OL and they are still fairly young, but Nagy's scheme allows a lesser OL win with misdirection. That will work, but sometimes there are just tougher playoff games where the OL has to win their 1-on-1 battles. If you haven't been doing that throughout the year it's tough to do it against above average competition.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lost in all of this is Philly was missing DE Barnett and just got back a really good DT in Jernigan

Canth

Liked Posts:
A little bit OT i suppose, but i never was a big fan of using YPG as a measurement to how "good" a team was on the defensive side, at least without context.

I specifically remember how this place 'reacted' after the 1st year of Mel Tucker being in Chicago, the 2013 season. People here were adamant the Bears pass defense was a "strength" (!) because they finished the season ranked 15th in the league at 233.1 YPG allowed. Meanwhile, the Bears were so far in dead last in terms of rush defense that the 31st ranked team couldn't even see them. They finished the season with 161.4 YPG allowed, next closest allowed 135.8 YPG, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Its like this bizarro place is/was incapable of realizing that teams literally didn't have to throw the ball against the bears, they were too busy embarrassing the run defense and shutting out a bulimic offense. Their pass defense rank wasn't a reflection of how good or even average the bears were against the pass, it was a reflection of how little teams had to actually do to beat that pathetic team.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Ultimately, it's all about points, not yards. So, I have always found it a bit odd that the NFL chooses to use yardage instead of points in determining the #1 defense and #1 offense. I mean, it does get talked about, but officially they base it on yards. Just weird to me.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For sure this, but it was where Trubisky struggled most last season as a whole...so not a surprise. There is "extending the play" with your feet and there is just going blank trying to make something happen.

To his credit...last season was the season for it to happen. New coach, new playbook, new receivers, etc. He has to be faster now because the entire team is built to kill you with quickness and that will never work with a quarterback that hesitates with almost every step.

Yeah hopefully he puts it together this season and has a better feel for when to get rid of the ball and when to extend the play. It's a delicate balance.

That's an easy pitch & catch for an elite QB or even simply a good QB. Hoping that his confidence in making those throws much quicker improves this year.

Yeah I am guessing he makes that throw this year and perhaps looks the LB off a bit by peeking downfield prior to making that throw.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The devolopment of an in-line TE or H-back (Shaheen, Sowell, Braunecker) is what offers the most hope imo for o-line improvement, with Massie...

the other option would be to get a RT who doesn't need a chip so badly.

I think we get a small sized boost from Daniels progression, and a major boost from Whitehair and Daniels both going to their personal best position...and I do believe thats true for both of them.

Long being healthy would be unlikly but a major boost.

What happened should be expected with our o-line playing against a good d-line with consequence meaningful game level of play. Cutler never even watched a playoff game to understand his own fucking league.
yep..
"Sowell lines up in the back field.. DM to take the run, ... Sowell leads the way with a block, DM breaks a safety's tackle, holy shit! TD BEARS!"

Reactions: DC

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
They played worse than that and the TE we were missing didn't affect the blocking. He did help make the early game plan ineffective with his absence but had little to do with the extra pressure and well schemed D.

It made Nagy much too conservative and our offense much more predictable. It didn't have everything to do with it, but it had a lot to do with it.

And as I said, inserting an injured Long into the OL didn't do them any favors. Ruined any chemistry they had.

And even with all that, we still should have won that game.
If he would of just made that FG..
I can't feel bad for him at all...if i cut my leg off at work..well...fuck me.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Should be, "I'm just here for kicks. Oh Wait!"

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I mean it's a given that an unhealthy Kyle Long is a liabilty, but I never knew his mere insertion into the game confused Leno to the point that he lined up at the wrong tackle spot. Fucking Leno continued to waltz out to the LT spot all game long. Even the coaching staff didn't correct him. It's like Long is the personification of huffed paint, sending any player or coach near him into a mental stupor.

Come to think of it, has Long come in your shoe store recently?

LMAO I meant to talk about Massie and somehow I crossed my wires and said Leno. Thanks for pointing out my stupidity.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I thought it was interesting how history repeated itself. At KC, Nagy gets bashed as Chiefs blow huge playoff lead and Kareem Hunt only gets 5 touches in 2nd half. Nagy hired by Bears, says playoff loss was a learning experience. Bears playoff game, Cohen only gets 4 touches all game. I guess Nagy is a slow learner?