I watched the entire draft - my thoughts /good/bad/ugly

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The lions could've not drafted and still been the best team in the division. So basically they decided to waste draft picks instead of getting real difference makers.

Jack Campbell went around 50 picks before the next LB. Drew sanders is a really good player too. There's a reason the other LBs went in round 3 and it's because their gms aren't ret@rded.
Curious, what GM turned the hapless Lions into that team?

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Curious, what GM turned the hapless Lions into that team?
That's why it's shocking that he drafted so disappointingly. He had a chance to grab guys that make them a SB team and instead made questionable decisions and slightly improved the team. Hooker and branch were good picks. Everything before that was a mistake

msadows

Liked Posts:
Ha!

The thing is, it is only idiot Bears fans saying it was dumb as fuck. Regardless of what I or you say, there is plenty of national praise for it, which is the point.
ʰᵃ!

ᵗᴴᵉ ᵗʰᴵᴺᴳ ᴵˢ, ᴵᵀ ⁱˢ ᴼⁿˡʸ ⁱᴰᴵᴼᵗ ᵇᴱᵃʳˢ ᶠᴬⁿˢ ˢᴬʸⁱᴺᵍ ᴵᵀ ʷᴬˢ ᵈᵁᵐᵇ ᴬˢ ᶠᵁᶜᵏ. ᴿᵉᵍᵃᴿᴰˡᵉˢˢ ᴼᶠ ʷʰᵃᵀ ⁱ ᴼᴿ ʸᵒᵁ ˢᵃʸ, ᵗʰᵉʳᴱ ᴵˢ ᴾᴸᴱⁿᵀʸ ᴼᶠ ⁿᴬᵗⁱᴼᴺᵃˡ ᵖᴿᴬᴵˢᵉ ᶠᴼʳ ⁱᵗ, ᵂᴴⁱᶜᴴ ᴵˢ ᵀʰᵉ ᵖᴼⁱⁿᵗ.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's why it's shocking that he drafted so disappointingly. He had a chance to grab guys that make them a SB team and instead made questionable decisions and slightly improved the team. Hooker and branch were good picks. Everything before that was a mistake
So then tell me, why are so many giving it an A to B+ grade?
Who should they have taken at 12?
Tell me.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Cause this is that one year every decade that analysts think the lions can actually do something.

Don't worry, you'll go back to being never mentioned soon enough.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Tell me.
Because hooker and branch were really solid picks. Christian Gonzalez or any edge rusher. Lions still need a young stud corner and need more pass rush. They certainly did not need an rb especially in a deep rb class. This is nothing against Gibbs as a player either because I really like him, just dumb to take him at 12 or 6 like they claim they would've done.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Because hooker and branch were really solid picks. Christian Gonzalez or any edge rusher. Lions still need a young stud corner and need more pass rush. They certainly did not need an rb especially in a deep rb class. This is nothing against Gibbs as a player either because I really like him, just dumb to take him at 12 or 6 like they claim they would've done.

Imagine if the bears drafted Gibbs at #12, and I liked him a lot too. This place would be a bloodbath.

He was a guy I hoped slipped to the late first/early 2nd and the bears traded up for.

I just don't see how you can be a championship level team in the future investing first round picks that are higher than you'll have in a few years(ideally) on a running back and linebacker.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Tell me.

Just saw this article. Thanks @cameronkrazie86. Sums up my thoughts perfectly. Other than being a little harsh on hooker as a prospect

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They would have taken Witherspoon. They were not sold on Gonzalez. Their original plan was to take Witherspoon or Anderson at 6, and trade up from 18 to get Gibbs. Gibbs would not have made it to 18.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Just saw this article. Thanks @cameronkrazie86. Sums up my thoughts perfectly. Other than being a little harsh on hooker as a prospect
Read that as well, just after listening to ESPN saying the Lions were the 3rd best team in the NFC. (Philly/San Fran).

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Read that as well, just after listening to ESPN saying the Lions were the 3rd best team in the NFC. (Philly/San Fran).
That article doesn't dispute they are a good team. Neither did I. What's being said is they are drafting to cap themselves as a good team instead of a super bowl contender. What espn said and what i/that article have said do not contradict each other.

alswank87

Liked Posts:
Well, that answers the question, “Does anyone really have time to watch this whole damn thing?” I asked myself while waiting for the bears first pick. I really meant just the first round, but damn, someone watched all three days. Must not have much going on…

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lions are idiots - picked Gibbs & Campbell way too high, could have them in RD #2
not at positions of greatest need, I know they dumped Swift but still
they paid Monty a lot of $$'s

Pat's & Bill - crazy that he still thinks he's smarter than everyone else and wasted
2 valuable picks on a Kicker & Punter and picked a few small school
undersized linemen, must think he's Poles.

Jet's - Got boxed out needed OT and panicked for Will McDonald when all the OT's
were gone, could have had him in Rd # 2

Texans - aren't messing around going after both Stroud & Will Jr. Refreshing to see someone
have the courage of their convictions and go all in.

Bears - My first thought is "where's our center", what the hell Poles! I'm a fan of his but
hope he knows what he's doing there. Mostly love the other picks
Darnell Wright - best T in the draft s/b a home run.
Gervon Dexter - higher rated than Jalen Carter out of HS, he will be a monster
Zack Pickens - solid player and rotating with Dexter will collapse the pocket
T. Stevenson - solid future starter, same with Terrill Smith
Roschon Johnson - love this pick, if we took an RB he was the one I wanted, former
highly rated QB, low miles starter for anyone else w/o Bijan
Tyler Scott - good job, fast, good open field, hard worker, will see a lot of snaps next
year. Got him for the 4th we got for Robert Quinn. Nice
Noah Sewell - I watched everyone of his games @ Oregon and he's Bears LB, the real deal
deal, like a heat seeking rocket, immediate impact long term guy. 5 star in HS, a 1st rounder last year if he cam out.
All in all I'm happy with what we got, probably 4 future starters which is great and we are definitely
better today. Go Bears
Had I known about guys like Dexter and Pickens before the draft. I would have likely done similar to Poles. Draft gets better as I watch film and read about the players selected. Those DTs look like the real deal and good value where taken. Expected DT and CB on day 2 but looks like they got more than expected for where they drafted.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As I previously posted years back and got roasted for, Bill B. is not a good GM anymore and hasn't been for years. His last decade of drafting has been full of reaches and busts.

He's still the GOAT Coach, but he should have stepped down from GM a long time ago.
Never drafted all that well.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That article doesn't dispute they are a good team. Neither did I. What's being said is they are drafting to cap themselves as a good team instead of a super bowl contender. What espn said and what i/that article have said do not contradict each other.
The Lions drafted players that could help them NOW. Not sure what part of that you fail to comprehend. There not in the same position as the Bears currently are, so obviously their draft strategy is different. Two years ago they were in that spot, and Brad Holmes navigated it perfectly. So maybe, just maybe, the guy knows what he is doing?

Furthermore, does it really matter what the Lions might have done as far as the stupid hot takes made by CCS after the draft? Look at the last two years, with the mindlessly stupid hot takes by anytime23 and his ilk.

This sums it up nicely.

Mike OHara
Columnist
The Detroit Lions were halfway through the first round of the NFL Draft Thursday night with two players who had gone from their draft boards to the roster.
Running back Jahmyr Gibbs of Alabama had been taken with the 12th pick -- after a trade -- and linebacker Jack Campbell of Iowa was taken with the 18th pick.
The Lions had parlayed their two first-round picks into two players who could improve the roster. A versatile running back with speed, and a linebacker to help shore up the interior of the defense.
Who could want more?
Good question. The answer: Just about everybody. That's what we learned again, based on the tsunami of speculation and analysis from draftniks and media members. That's part of the joy of following the draft from a safe position outside the draft room. You can always do better. Or so it seems.
Among the other things we learned includes the following: General manager Brad Holmes made another move to strengthen the secondary with a Day 2 draft pick that could turn out to be as valuable as any of the Lions' picks in the first two days; the third draft was the charm for Holmes to draft a quality quarterback who has the potential to develop into something more valuable than running the scout team for the next three or four years; and nothing happened in the draft that lessened the Lions' status as the team to beat in the NFC North.

We start with the reaction to Holmes' two first-round picks:

This is not a criticism of the criticism and analysis of any of Holmes' draft picks – either this year or in his first two years as GM. He's had big hits, and no big misses.
What I don't get is why any team should adhere to unwritten rules, like not drafting a running back in the first round. It sounds great to follow those rules – unless you need a running back.
The way the Lions' offense has been built for them to contend for the NFC North title in 2023, they need a strong running game. And they're stronger now – with the addition of David Montgomery in free agency and from drafting Gibbs -- than they were at the end of last season.
Rules are meant to be broken. Even in the draft.

Backup plan: Quarterback Hendon Hooker's misfortune could be the Lions' lucky break.
Hooker might have been a first-round draft pick had he not sustained a knee injury late in the 2022 season.
As he fell in the draft, the Lions were able to select Hooker in the third round.
It's an ideal spot for Hooker to develop while Jared Goff remains the starting quarterback.
Holmes has regretted not having stronger backups in his first two years. That's been corrected.

Oh, and I can only imagine the threads started on CCs had the Lions drafted Carter and maybe Van Ness

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Lions drafted players that could help them NOW. Not sure what part of that you fail to comprehend. There not in the same position as the Bears currently are, so obviously their draft strategy is different. Two years ago they were in that spot, and Brad Holmes navigated it perfectly. So maybe, just maybe, the guy knows what he is doing?

Furthermore, does it really matter what the Lions might have done as far as the stupid hot takes made by CCS after the draft? Look at the last two years, with the mindlessly stupid hot takes by anytime23 and his ilk.

This sums it up nicely.

Mike OHara
Columnist
The Detroit Lions were halfway through the first round of the NFL Draft Thursday night with two players who had gone from their draft boards to the roster.
Running back Jahmyr Gibbs of Alabama had been taken with the 12th pick -- after a trade -- and linebacker Jack Campbell of Iowa was taken with the 18th pick.
The Lions had parlayed their two first-round picks into two players who could improve the roster. A versatile running back with speed, and a linebacker to help shore up the interior of the defense.
Who could want more?
Good question. The answer: Just about everybody. That's what we learned again, based on the tsunami of speculation and analysis from draftniks and media members. That's part of the joy of following the draft from a safe position outside the draft room. You can always do better. Or so it seems.
Among the other things we learned includes the following: General manager Brad Holmes made another move to strengthen the secondary with a Day 2 draft pick that could turn out to be as valuable as any of the Lions' picks in the first two days; the third draft was the charm for Holmes to draft a quality quarterback who has the potential to develop into something more valuable than running the scout team for the next three or four years; and nothing happened in the draft that lessened the Lions' status as the team to beat in the NFC North.

We start with the reaction to Holmes' two first-round picks:

This is not a criticism of the criticism and analysis of any of Holmes' draft picks – either this year or in his first two years as GM. He's had big hits, and no big misses.
What I don't get is why any team should adhere to unwritten rules, like not drafting a running back in the first round. It sounds great to follow those rules – unless you need a running back.
The way the Lions' offense has been built for them to contend for the NFC North title in 2023, they need a strong running game. And they're stronger now – with the addition of David Montgomery in free agency and from drafting Gibbs -- than they were at the end of last season.
Rules are meant to be broken. Even in the draft.

Backup plan: Quarterback Hendon Hooker's misfortune could be the Lions' lucky break.
Hooker might have been a first-round draft pick had he not sustained a knee injury late in the 2022 season.
As he fell in the draft, the Lions were able to select Hooker in the third round.
It's an ideal spot for Hooker to develop while Jared Goff remains the starting quarterback.
Holmes has regretted not having stronger backups in his first two years. That's been corrected.

Oh, and I can only imagine the threads started on CCs had the Lions drafted Carter and maybe Van Ness

that's a heck of a lot of words about he Lions on a bears forum