Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mack was oft-injured and missed most of 2021. Sweat’s play has been better than Mack’s, mainly because Mack was always not 100%. If Pace would have nailed the 2017 QB pick, the addition of Mack would have been the final piece in the puzzle to win it all in 2018. But fuck you Pace & Trubisky!!!!!!!!!
They heal if you let them. This is a new year.
But fuck you Pace & Trubisky!!!!!!!!!(y)

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I was a year early with this discussion but Jeff Howe at The Athletic revived it this morning.

If Cunningham is hired the Bears will receive third round picks in ‘25 and ‘26. They would have nine picks in ‘25 including a first, two seconds, and two thirds.

Here are excerpts from his article:

“LAKE FOREST, Ill. — Ian Cunningham is on the cusp of achieving a lifelong goal.

The Chicago Bears assistant general manager has been viewed as a rising executive among his peers around the NFL, and he’s got the receipts to show for it. Cunningham has interviewed in recent years for general manager vacancies with the Arizona Cardinals, Tennessee Titansand Los Angeles Chargers.

Now if the Bears’ season plays out the way many expect — an offseason acquisition spree has generated as much hype as ever in Chicago — Cunningham will again be on the shortlist for teams with GM openings in January.

“It feels great in the sense of this is what I’ve worked for my entire life and career,” Cunningham told The Athletic. “Knowing what I’ve wanted to do since I was in middle school, high school and setting that goal for myself. … Realizing I’m on the cusp of that, I’m extremely fortunate to have the interviews in which I’ve had and the opportunities in which I’ve had. I just view it as just keep chopping, and it’ll happen in the right time.”

JF17904-1024x683.jpg
GO DEEPER
Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham is a rising star in the NFL

Cunningham’s peers’ eyes light up when his name is mentioned, whether it’s someone he’s worked alongside or against. Executive circles are tight, so it’s paramount to build trust, and it’s clear Cunningham has established that.

He’s also cut his teeth with two of the NFL’s premier front offices, first breaking into the business from 2008-16 in personnel and scouting roles with the Baltimore Ravens and then from 2017-21 in director roles with the Philadelphia Eagles. Cunningham joined general manager Ryan Poles with the Bears in 2022.

Poles and Cunningham took over a reeling franchise in 2022. The Bears had just hired head coach Matt Eberflus to replace Matt Nagy, and the roster was devoid of talent and hindered by questionable salary cap decisions. They recognized a rebuild that required a great deal of patience.

Their approach was methodical. They needed to evaluate whether quarterback Justin Fields could be a franchise cornerstone, which gave them the freedom to trade away the No. 1 pick in the 2023 NFL Draft to the Carolina Panthers. Among the haul, the Bears recouped star receiver D.J. Moore and the No. 1 pick in 2024 that turned into quarterback Caleb Williams.

They’ve also added pass rusher Montez Sweat and linebacker Tremaine Edmundsto Eberflus’ improving defense — they very nearly acquired Matthew Judon from the Patriots last week — and patched up the relationship with cornerback Jaylon Johnson, keeping him on a long-term deal rather than trading him away. On offense, the Bears fortified their skill group by drafting wideout Rome Odunze, trading for receiver Keenan Allen, signing tight end Gerald Everett to complement Cole Kmet and adding running back D’Andre Swift.

The bar had been so low for so long in Chicago that such stark progress has been easy to notice. The Bears have had a top-20 scoring offense twice in the past decade, and they’ve only made two playoff appearances since their last postseason victory in 2010. Their quest for a franchise quarterback has led to one error after another.”

There’s quite a bit more to the story at this link.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/57...s-general-manager/?source=user_shared_articleIf Bears thrive, expect assistant GM Ian Cunningham to be running his own team next year

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I am still in shock that epic trade landed the bears: DJ, Wright, Stevenson, Caleb and a (most likely) top 40 pick next season.
Don’t forget Taylor, the Bears list him as part of the haul since they traded from 9 to 10 and grabbed a 4th.

“Here's a recap of the haul the Bears obtained in exchange for the No. 1 pick in the 2023 draft:

Receiver DJ Moore
The sixth-year pro surpassed even the highest expectations in his first season in Chicago, establishing career highs in all receiving categories with 96 catches for 1,364 yards and eight touchdowns. The 1,364 yards were the sixth most in the NFL this season and the fourth most in Bears history.

Right tackle Darnell Wright
The 6-6, 333-pounder showed promise as a rookie while starting all 17 games, establishing himself as a core piece on offense.

Cornerback Tyrique Stevenson
Stevenson emerged as a playmaker against both the run and pass as a rookie, registering 86 tackles and two forced fumbles, tying for the team lead with four interceptions and topping the defense with 16 pass breakups. He was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week late in the season after recording two interceptions, five tackles and four pass breakups in a 37-17 win over the Falcons.

• Quarterback Caleb Williams
The Bears spent the No. 1 pick in the 2024 draft on Williams, the consensus top prospect in a draft loaded with talented quarterbacks. Williams generated 120 touchdowns (93 passing and 27 rushing) in three seasons at Oklahoma (2021) and USC (2022-23) and won the Heisman Trophy in 2022.

• Punter Tory Taylor
Last season Taylor won the Ray Guy Award as the nation's best punter and was named First-Team All-American after averaging an NCAA-record 48.2 yards on 93 punts, placing 32 inside-the-20 with seven touchbacks. Taylor appeared in 49 games the past four seasons for the Hawkeyes, averaging 46.3 yards on 295 punts, placing 127 inside-the-20 with 32 touchbacks.

• 2025 second-round selection”

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If bears win start winning he’s a legit candidate to get upped with another team.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
If bears win start winning he’s a legit candidate to get upped with another team.
He was one of two finalists for the Commanders job this past year. With the way things are looking for the Bears, it feels like he's all but a lock for a GM job this coming offseason.

Hopefully Poles can find another badass minority Asst. GM to replace him to scoop up those sweet comp picks a couple years thereafter!

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Don’t forget Taylor, the Bears list him as part of the haul since they traded from 9 to 10 and grabbed a 4th.

“Here's a recap of the haul the Bears obtained in exchange for the No. 1 pick in the 2023 draft:

Receiver DJ Moore
The sixth-year pro surpassed even the highest expectations in his first season in Chicago, establishing career highs in all receiving categories with 96 catches for 1,364 yards and eight touchdowns. The 1,364 yards were the sixth most in the NFL this season and the fourth most in Bears history.

The 6-6, 333-pounder showed promise as a rookie while starting all 17 games, establishing himself as a core piece on offense.

Stevenson emerged as a playmaker against both the run and pass as a rookie, registering 86 tackles and two forced fumbles, tying for the team lead with four interceptions and topping the defense with 16 pass breakups. He was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week late in the season after recording two interceptions, five tackles and four pass breakups in a 37-17 win over the Falcons.

The Bears spent the No. 1 pick in the 2024 draft on Williams, the consensus top prospect in a draft loaded with talented quarterbacks. Williams generated 120 touchdowns (93 passing and 27 rushing) in three seasons at Oklahoma (2021) and USC (2022-23) and won the Heisman Trophy in 2022.

• Punter Tory Taylor
Last season Taylor won the Ray Guy Award as the nation's best punter and was named First-Team All-American after averaging an NCAA-record 48.2 yards on 93 punts, placing 32 inside-the-20 with seven touchbacks. Taylor appeared in 49 games the past four seasons for the Hawkeyes, averaging 46.3 yards on 295 punts, placing 127 inside-the-20 with 32 touchbacks.

I want Poles to trade back with Carolina's 2nd next year just so that list keeps getting longer.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
This was a poll by The Athletic of NFL agents asking what front office executives will be future GMs. Ian Cunningham topped the list.

Here are the comments:

• “Ian Cunningham is a great talent evaluator. He’s fair with agents, not rigid. He comes off like he’s one of us, not some snob. Has an excellent demeanor for the top job.”

• “Cunningham is so level-headed that he finds young evaluators and thinkers to build up his staff.”

• “I can give several reasons for choosing Brandon Sosna. He is transparent and beyond intelligent. At a very young age, he has been a crucial figure in two organizations at a high level. He’s only 31 now. It’s a coup for Washington.”

• “Trey (Brown) is already receiving GM interviews. His time is coming. I learn something whenever I listen to him discuss the talent evaluation exercise.”

• “Depends on what you’re looking for, but Mike Greenberg is excellent with more of an operational than scouting background. Similar skill to Howie, and gets along with everyone.”

• “The general manager must have a firm grasp of money and talent and know how to deal with media and people. Not everyone can touch all those bases. Chris Shea does.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/56...omes-dak-prescott/?source=user_shared_articleNFL agents dish on best (and worst) franchise, Mahomes’ value and Dak’s next deal

He’ll be tough to lose but the third round picks will help heal the wound.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Receiver DJ Moore

• Punter Tory Taylor

I liked the Darnell Wright pick at the time.....I'm still unsure if he will live up to expectations after seeing him play.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'm fine with as long as Cunningham is an asst GM for the Bears. I was hoping he would have gotten a GM job this off season, but after watching the draft stuff and his convincing Poles to show restraint with the #9 pick,he may be more valuable than a couple of 3s.

Would hate to break up Simon and Garfunkel, just to find out you have Garfunkel.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I liked the Darnell Wright pick at the time.....I'm still unsure if he will live up to expectations after seeing him play.
I’m curious what you did not like about a rookie that played every game and a number of them with an injured shoulder?

His outing against Maxx Crosby was pretty damn encouraging and he was basically playing with one arm.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m curious what you did not like about a rookie that played every game and a number of them with an injured shoulder?

His outing against Maxx Crosby was pretty damn encouraging and he was basically playing with one arm.
His performances fluctuated from pretty good to really bad. I think he did slightly better as the year went on, but he was seriously inconsistent. That's the only thing that gives me pause...

If he can raise his bottom performances to average he would be worth a 1st round pick.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
His performances fluctuated from pretty good to really bad. I think he did slightly better as the year went on, but he was seriously inconsistent. That's the only thing that gives me pause...

If he can raise his bottom performances to average he would be worth a 1st round pick.
Here’s what PFF said about him after week 18. I think it is fair and accurate. Again, he was a rookie.

“PICK NO. 10: CHICAGO BEARS: OT DARNELL WRIGHT

Overall Rookie Grade: 62.4 (Rank: 2/9)
Principal Opponent: Rashan Gary
Week 18 Snaps: 47
Week 18 Grade: 71.4

Wright drew a tough assignment of facing Rashan Gary in Chicago’s season finale but performed well. He allowed just one hurry and finished the day as the Bears’ highest-graded offensive lineman by a wide margin.

Wright overcame a lot in his rookie season and proved to be durable and reliable, leading the team in snaps played by more than 100. If he cleans up his footwork and cuts down on penalties, he’ll be a key contributor in Chicago for a long time.”

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here’s what PFF said about him after week 18. I think it is fair and accurate. Again, he was a rookie.

“PICK NO. 10: CHICAGO BEARS: OT DARNELL WRIGHT

Overall Rookie Grade: 62.4 (Rank: 2/9)
Principal Opponent: Rashan Gary
Week 18 Snaps: 47
Week 18 Grade: 71.4

Wright drew a tough assignment of facing Rashan Gary in Chicago’s season finale but performed well. He allowed just one hurry and finished the day as the Bears’ highest-graded offensive lineman by a wide margin.

Wright overcame a lot in his rookie season and proved to be durable and reliable, leading the team in snaps played by more than 100. If he cleans up his footwork and cuts down on penalties, he’ll be a key contributor in Chicago for a long time.”

I don't disagree with their analysis. As I said he played well at times and not well at times. But ended the season stronger.

I don't think there is a guarantee he is a lock to be a long term starter if he doesn't become more consistent. I hope he does.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I'm fine with as long as Cunningham is an asst GM for the Bears. I was hoping he would have gotten a GM job this off season, but after watching the draft stuff and his convincing Poles to show restraint with the #9 pick,he may be more valuable than a couple of 3s.

Would hate to break up Simon and Garfunkel, just to find out you have Garfunkel.

Didn't Ian stop Poles from trading up to acquire Rome who they eventually selected at 9 anyway?
Who knows what other things he's contributed to player acquisition during the past couple of years.
Poles was obviously extremely fortunate that Carolina ended up with the #1 pick and then also selected Rome with only their #9 pick because of Ian.
I also wonder if Paul is leaving the building.
Time will tell.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't disagree with their analysis. As I said he played well at times and not well at times. But ended the season stronger.

I don't think there is a guarantee he is a lock to be a long term starter if he doesn't become more consistent. I hope he does.

You could say that about most rookie OL ever.

Agreed that there are no guarantees though. Now he needs to take the next step. Time will tell.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Sewell looked rough as hell his first year. If Wright doesn’t improve and the middle keeps caving in, Chris Morgan needs to be shot into the sun.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Sewell looked rough as hell his first year. If Wright doesn’t improve and the middle keeps caving in, Chris Morgan needs to be shot into the sun.

Not that PFF is the be all end all, but Sewell had a 77 overall grade his rookie year, which is fantastic for a rookie OT. Comparatively, Wright graded out at 62 last year. Sewell had his ups and downs, but I don’t think he looked rough as hell. He was pretty damned good from the jump and got more refined over time.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Not that PFF is the be all end all, but Sewell had a 77 overall grade his rookie year, which is fantastic for a rookie OT. Comparatively, Wright graded out at 62 last year. Sewell had his ups and downs, but I don’t think he looked rough as hell. He was pretty damned good from the jump and got more refined over time.
I think it was when he was at LT, the move to RT immediately paid dividends