If he is available, Ray will be the Bears pick at #7

Svic

Liked Posts:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JRrM08N038c

So here is the Florida game. Ray definitely turned it when it was obvious pass situations and Florida was loosing 28-0. Both sacks came after the Starting QB was off the field and against the guy who threw a pick 6 and should have stepped up in the pocket to prevent ray from stripping him. But Humphries made ray his bitch most of the game. First half.. Ray had 1 rush worth a damn. Same exact style of play that ray got his sacks on the next half.

I just don't see the amazing get off. He was stoned about 85-95% of the time. The line on the other side looked better. Ray can be a good prospect but not a top 10 talent.

What concerns me even more. Is him saying he played at 15-20lbs lighter. With such a bad pro day it doesn't look like he can carry that weight as well. His pro day hurt him a lot now.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

So here is the Florida game. Ray definitely turned it when it was obvious pass situations and Florida was loosing 28-0. Both sacks came after the Starting QB was off the field and against the guy who threw a pick 6 and should have stepped up in the pocket to prevent ray from stripping him. But Humphries made ray his bitch most of the game. First half.. Ray had 1 rush worth a damn. Same exact style of play that ray got his sacks on the next half.

I just don't see the amazing get off. He was stoned about 85-95% of the time. The line on the other side looked better. Ray can be a good prospect but not a top 10 talent.

What concerns me even more. Is him saying he played at 15-20lbs lighter. With such a bad pro day it doesn't look like he can carry that weight as well. His pro day hurt him a lot now.

Ran a 4.55-4.65 depending on who you talk to and was fresh off a foot injury...

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

He looked great against the run too.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

The green font indicates sarcasm. Dude just got buried against the run. The fact that he looks like a grown up Webster is starting to piss me off too.

Svic

Liked Posts:
The green font indicates sarcasm. Dude just got buried against the run. The fact that he looks like a grown up Webster is starting to piss me off too.

Ok. Yeah I'm real scared if that is the best tape he has against a lineman with talent..

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Find me the play in which you claimed Ray lucked into a sack while laying on the ground until the QB ran into him. Better yet, I'll spare you the trouble and further tapdancing: It never happened.

What I believe you were attempting to refer to is this play in which Ray converts speed to power, bullrushes the LT back inside the pocket, and then drags down the QB from behind by his ankle before he can escape.

[video]https://youtu.be/JRrM08N038c?t=379[/video]

Svic

Liked Posts:
Find me the play in which you claimed Ray lucked into a sack while laying on the ground until the QB ran into him. Better yet, I'll spare you the trouble and further tapdancing: It never happened.

What I believe you were attempting to refer to is this play in which Ray converts speed to power, bullrushes the LT back inside the pocket, and then drags down the QB from behind by his ankle before he can escape.

[video]https://youtu.be/JRrM08N038c?t=379[/video]

I already agreed that i made a mistake that wasn't a sack. His two sacks came on the same drive vs the same QB. Very impressive get off to get the QB in the first try. Second sack impressive get off and finish but should have been avoided if the QB had any kind of pocket presence to step up. But I am not drafting a guy at #7 to give me 3-5 impressive snaps when he will be on the field for close to 55-70 snaps. That is not top 10 talent to me. Top 10 talent changed your team. I dont see it in ray since he was getting buried and stoned 1 on 1 the whole game. You also can't disregard he is about 230 lbs in that video... He is 20 lbs heavier. And slower now

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And he beat him for 2 sacks...I don't care what downs they are on. You expect good pass rushers to make those plays and he did. Passing down or not.

He had 2 sacks.

And was largely handled or beaten on the other 60 plays of the game.

You cannot watch that entire Florida game and think it was a positive game for Ray? You jut can't.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ran a 4.55-4.65 depending on who you talk to and was fresh off a foot injury...

By fresh off you mean 3 months prior.

Also jumped a below average 33"

Lifted a pretty pathetic 21 reps.

And ran an abysmal 7.7 3 cone.

Literally the only test he excelled in was the 40.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

I normally like your posts and what not Windy but your looking a lot like a draft rookie taking these combine/pro day numbers in to consideration so much. You can't tell me he doesn't look more athletic on tape than the numbers suggest.

You have no idea if Ray re-injured his foot or the severity of it. Foot injuries are nasty and can really affect ability to change direction.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
What worries me the most about Shane Ray, is his receding hairline/Peyton Manning'ishly long forehead. I've never been able to look away from it when looking at him.

It's like boobs. They might be covered by layers and layers of clothes, in Ray's case a helmet, but you know it's there, and therefore can't look away.

Svic

Liked Posts:
I normally like your posts and what not Windy but your looking a lot like a draft rookie taking these combine/pro day numbers in to consideration so much. You can't tell me he doesn't look more athletic on tape than the numbers suggest.

You have no idea if Ray re-injured his foot or the severity of it. Foot injuries are nasty and can really affect ability to change direction.

He did say that this game where he faced good talent he was beat on 60 plays of the game and succeeded on very small amount of the snaps and you can not look at the pro day and dismiss it. Just because Suggs was an exception doesn't mean ray is.

Concern is this Ray was said to be this very athletic fast LB who has a good jump. His mistake was to admit he was playing at 230 lbs and then gain 20 lbs and look like a fat slob on the pro day.

Its concerning that he can't carry that weight. I dont want an OLB who is 230 lbs. He will look even more pathetic than he did in the Florida game getting stood up and stopped and not able to separate what so ever vs elite talent in the NFL. I dont want another shea.

Yes Gregory is 239 but he has a lot more length and a better frame than ray to add weight and has more ability to carry that weight.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

As I recall, somebody;) brought up his 40 and that was counterpoint. Can't bring up one measurement and then call foul when another poster mentions others. The numbers that show strength, explosiveness and agility are less than stellar for an early 1st rounder. It's the sort of thing that you need overcome with tape but the tape isn't there. Not just Suggs but Shea looked more athletic on tape.

AussieBear

When i watch these top OLB/DE on tape, only two really stand out to me: Vic Beasley and Dante Fowler

Ray shows a little burst, but for the most part, I have him rated below Vic and Dante though. Then when I look at Ray, Dupree and Gregory as a set, I see them on a similar tier. Well, I have Dupree being at the bottom of that or maybe even at the top of tier below Ray and Gregory. He looks way slower on tape than his 40 time suggests. In his defense, the Dupree is pushing 269 pounds, so when i take that into account, perhaps he is on the Ray and Gregory tier... depending on how you are going to use him in a system as well.

I guess it comes down to who you really feels has the highest ceiling.. I think Gregorys ceiling is higher on a physical level compared to Ray, but with his weed concerns..that definitely adds a question mark for me.

Eli Harold shows some flashes here and there as well.

If I cant get Fowler or Beasley, Im waiting until rd 2 or 3 if Im looking for a "pass rusher" - then Im taking this guy at 39

[video=youtube;jnB0KrxTS1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnB0KrxTS1s[/video]

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

And Dante Fowler only mustered 19 reps, a 32.5" vertical, a bad 9'4" broad, and an average 7.40 three cone...all while 100% healthy, and yet he's considered by many to be a top three pick. The magnitude of your inconsistency on prospect workouts is astounding.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When i watch these top OLB/DE on tape, only two really stand out to me: Vic Beasley and Dante Fowler

Ray shows a little burst, but for the most part, I have him rated below Vic and Dante though. Then when I look at Ray, Dupree and Gregory as a set, I see them on a similar tier. Well, I have Dupree being at the bottom of that or maybe even at the top of tier below Ray and Gregory. He looks way slower on tape than his 40 time suggests. In his defense, the Dupree is pushing 269 pounds, so when i take that into account, perhaps he is on the Ray and Gregory tier... depending on how you are going to use him in a system as well.

I guess it comes down to who you really feels has the highest ceiling.. I think Gregorys ceiling is higher on a physical level compared to Ray, but with his weed concerns..that definitely adds a question mark for me.

Eli Harold shows some flashes here and there as well.

If I cant get Fowler or Beasley, Im waiting until rd 2 or 3 if Im looking for a "pass rusher" - then Im taking this guy at 39

[video=youtube;jnB0KrxTS1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnB0KrxTS1s[/video]
I prefer thos 2 to Gregory as well but Gregory still looks like the real deal to me. I don't see Fowler falling but I expect one of Beasley, White, Gregory or mariota to be there at 7.
Depending on how you feel about Mariota's potential, you're getting a great player or great trade value. Most likely a great player as somebody always falls. I like Cooper but I think it may be a bit early for his potential. He's a sure thing but may not be a game changer in the NFL and that's what you want in a top 10 WR.

I like Dupree more than Ray.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
And Dante Fowler only mustered 19 reps, a 32.5" vertical, a bad 9'4" broad, and an average 7.44 three cone...all while 100% healthy, and yet he's considered by many to be a top three pick. The magnitude of your inconsistency on prospect workouts is astounding.

I really hope he ends up being a top three-pick, as I don't want him at #7. I just don't see what all the fuzz is about. But pretty much every expert loves the guy. I mean, not one minute went by at the scouting combine without Fowler's name being mentioned. They were just fixated with pushing him down the viewer's throats. Even when he did something average, they praised what he'd just done.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
He did say that this game where he faced good talent he was beat on 60 plays of the game and succeeded on very small amount of the snaps and you can not look at the pro day and dismiss it. Just because Suggs was an exception doesn't mean ray is.

Concern is this Ray was said to be this very athletic fast LB who has a good jump. His mistake was to admit he was playing at 230 lbs and then gain 20 lbs and look like a fat slob on the pro day.

There is so much crap in this post, I don't even know where to start...

First of all, if a d-lineman only wins a snap by getting a sack...most of the best pass rushers "get beat" on every other play. I do not believe that he only got the better of Humphries twice in that game. Do you want him to get a sack on every freaking play?

Fat slob? You are joking right? He still put up an elite 40 yard dash and a solid vert. He struggled a bit in the change of direction drills but his foot would have played a small part in that because he wouldn't have been able to practice it to death like the other guys probably did while he was rehabbing because it puts a lot more stress on the joints in your foot than just straight line running. Was it Vic Beasely or Dupree like? No but it doesn't need to be. There are combine warriors every year who come out and are busts. You have to look at the tape. As long as the combine numbers are in the vicinity of where they should be, I am happy. He carries the weight just fine.

Ray had more production than any single pass rusher in this draft last season and was the SEC defensive player of the year. You cannot honestly tell me that the other pass rushers in the draft, turned up and had their best games against NFL talent...I very much doubt it. Ray had the most production in the best conference in college football.