CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Mostly coincidence or maybe intentional. Media loves to make the connections between sports teams and the actual city. But at the end of the day, winning games is all that matters. Doesnt matter if you win games by scoring 120 or holding opps under 100. If you're winning games, it doesn't matter how, just as long as youre winning consistently.
Right, but that connection isn't a reason to keep or fire a coach was my point. The guy you were quoting seems to think that is a reason to keep Thibs, which is silly.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
i don't even care about his flaws i think the Bulls are ready for a change....while no Bulls players will ever say it i feel his grueling style has worn thin....i think the lack of energy this year is telling

i mean its a rough/no fun system and them fighting so hard last year only to get bounced in 5 games in the first round really deflated them

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
i don't even care about his flaws i think the Bulls are ready for a change....while no Bulls players will ever say it i feel his grueling style has worn thin....i think the lack of energy this year is telling

i mean its a rough/no fun system and them fighting so hard last year only to get bounced in 5 games in the first round really deflated them

See I think this whole "grueling style" thing is a bit of an aberration. We HAD to play that way because there was a severe lack of talent on the team outside of Rose the majority of Thibs time here. The team had to play with everything they had all the time, which to be honest, is how you are SUPPOSED to play. 48 minutes of intensity, anyone??

This year, you saw that there was much more offensive talent on the team, which caused the effort to slip a bit on D because our offense could actually keep us in games as opposed to the past. Outside of a couple former players (who definitely had agendas when they were here), no players have complained about him running them into the ground or killing them in practice. Tbh, I don't even know how this whole perception started other than that he plays his starting defensive wing around 40mpg.

I don't feel like his style has worn on the players. I'd say it's not so much that players are tuning him out, it's just that they are accustomed to him now. That's why you hear them say "It's Thibs being Thibs." That's not really a slight, but rather the nature of the biz when you've been working with someone for so long. I'm like that with a few of my co-workers. I just know how they function so I can tune out the noise and focus on the details when we work together. Heck, Popovich admitted that he doesn't tell Timmy to do anything anymore cuz he doesn't really listen anyway. I'd dare say he's lost that team.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

I agree with this. For me, I'm tired of his coaching style. He's too predictable, I don't like the way he manages the lineups. I don't like how his subs are the same all the time. I'm tired of his screen offense. I'm tired of the same 'ol........

The bottom line is that sometimes a change is in order. It's always a tough choice to move on from a great coach when you're ownership, but sometimes it's necessary. And the #1 reason that teams finally come to this conclusion...... the same negative results EVERY year.

Sometimes it's just time for a change.

Noshayah DaMuzikbox

Liked Posts:
So true! It would be the dumbest thing "GarPax" has ever done. I really don't understand the whole power struggle between them. Maybe they should just get some boxing gloves, set up a ring in the Advocate Center, and see who knocks who out? No strings attached, but just a way somehow to get rid of all that animosity, and tension that exists between them.

First off, if the Bulls had won a Championship already, the grumbling wouldn't seem so loud. We all know how MAINSTREAM MEDIA works, or at least I would hope every one is learning. "Today they build you up, tomorrow they break you down." Folks love to create controversies. It causes a lot of people to click on the stories, people seem to love drama. For some reason, people just love drama. It's like they can't live without it. Everything is scrutinized, words are twisted, innuendos are made, and so-called "expert" theories seem not to carry much weight. Pressure bursts pipes, and because the Bulls have invested so much into Derrick Rose, there's a lot of pressure and stress built up there.

On a positive note, Thibs has always done a good job weathering the storms during his tenure as Bulls HC! Yes, I agree, Thibs does play his players heavy minutes... but that's not anything new. Because now, the way the media is pushing the data into the basketball lovers ears, and eyes, all a sudden everyone jumps on that bandwagon, it seems folks don't think for themselves.

When the Bulls were winning Titles, Pippen, Jordan, Grant, Cartwright... the starters ALWAYS played heavy minutes under Phil Jackson. I grew up watching and studying what was really happening... it was so cool. The difference now is that the NBA is a bit trendy, and most of the players in the League now are pretty soft, a bunch of "fake tough guys". What the Coaches should do, especially Thibs, is create the NEW trend! (though it would be nothing new)...

When the clock, or game starts going a certain way, BAM, take out ALL five starters, and send in the bench. Not one guy, not just two guys, the whole 2nd Squad. That's how they practice, let THAT consistency play out in games. There's just too much pampering with today's NBA stars.

When the others players don't get some run too, their growth gets stunted, basketball is simple, but NBA Basketball? A lot of politics are what make causes unnecessary wedges among teams, Coaches, and Trainers.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
See I think this whole "grueling style" thing is a bit of an aberration. We HAD to play that way because there was a severe lack of talent on the team outside of Rose the majority of Thibs time here. The team had to play with everything they had all the time, which to be honest, is how you are SUPPOSED to play. 48 minutes of intensity, anyone??

This year, you saw that there was much more offensive talent on the team, which caused the effort to slip a bit on D because our offense could actually keep us in games as opposed to the past. Outside of a couple former players (who definitely had agendas when they were here), no players have complained about him running them into the ground or killing them in practice. Tbh, I don't even know how this whole perception started other than that he plays his starting defensive wing around 40mpg.

I don't feel like his style has worn on the players. I'd say it's not so much that players are tuning him out, it's just that they are accustomed to him now. That's why you hear them say "It's Thibs being Thibs." That's not really a slight, but rather the nature of the biz when you've been working with someone for so long. I'm like that with a few of my co-workers. I just know how they function so I can tune out the noise and focus on the details when we work together. Heck, Popovich admitted that he doesn't tell Timmy to do anything anymore cuz he doesn't really listen anyway. I'd dare say he's lost that team.

cmon now lets not blame talent...thats thibs style regardless...hes a hardnose defensive coach

lets not act like he was Don Nelson but switched up to accommodate the Bulls roster

that type of coaching has a short shelf life imo...guys like Scott Skiles/Doug Collins employed similar styles and had positive results to start but got burned out quick

Naptastic

Liked Posts:

I'm surprised to see your on board with a new coach. To me its a no brainer, Thibs is one of the best in the NBA. Why would you fire him? I'd lock him down for a cutler.megadeal if I was in charge.

I also don't understand the change is good just for the sake of change. Why does that make any sense? Should we just shake up the roster for variety? In the NBA theres two places to be: tanking or making a title run. You can say theres no chance they make the finals, but I think they're a lot closer than it seems. Unless your willing to rebuild, then don't fire Thibs. Actually Thibs would be a pretty good choice for q team of scrubs, based on him maximizing the talent out of everyone from cj Watson to john Lucas.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
cmon now lets not blame talent...thats thibs style regardless...hes a hardnose defensive coach

lets not act like he was Don Nelson but switched up to accommodate the Bulls roster

that type of coaching has a short shelf life imo...guys like Scott Skiles/Doug Collins employed similar styles and had positive results to start but got burned out quick

Not blame talent? Name me one coach that has done more with less over the past 5 years. Last season's team was PATHETIC on the offensive end. The worst team of the Thibs era yet somehow he still managed to get that team into the top 5 while scrapping the bottom of every single offensive category. How? The players played their ASSES OFF FOR HIM. And that's a bad thing??

Yes he has a defensive style and that's always been his calling card. But he's also lacked significant talent on every team he's had up until this year. I don't even know how you can argue against that. Talent almost always trumps coaching. It's a fact of the league. There have been very few teams in league history that have been the LESS talented team in the Finals and actually won it. It's only happened a handful of times. You need talent to win it all.

And I never said ANYTHING about him being like Don Nelson, so I don't know where you're reading that from. Quite simply, with a talented team this year, it has been injuries that have caused us to struggle. It has little to do with Thibs being a terrible offensive coach (largest increase in scoring of any team in the league from last year to this year, so there's that) or running players into the ground, or players tuning him out. He hasn't lost the team. He's not overusing players. Hell, after tonight, he'll have started 20 different starting lineups. 20!! No other team in the league has done that. Despite all of this, we are still 3rd in the East without Rose, Butler, or Taj right now.

To fire Thibs would be astronomically stupid on the Bulls FO's part. What they should do is fire their entire medical staff. It's clear that these morons have no clue what they are doing going back for years now. I mean, Jesus they nearly KILLED Luol Deng back in 2013 with a completely unnecessary spinal tap. And we are entrusting these quacks with the livelihood of the players!? :smh:

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Not blame talent? Name me one coach that has done more with less over the past 5 years. Last season's team was PATHETIC on the offensive end. The worst team of the Thibs era yet somehow he still managed to get that team into the top 5 while scrapping the bottom of every single offensive category. How? The players played their ASSES OFF FOR HIM. And that's a bad thing??

Yes he has a defensive style and that's always been his calling card. But he's also lacked significant talent on every team he's had up until this year. I don't even know how you can argue against that. Talent almost always trumps coaching. It's a fact of the league. There have been very few teams in league history that have been the LESS talented team in the Finals and actually won it. It's only happened a handful of times. You need talent to win it all.

my point has nothing to do with his success with the team it simply has to do with his style

his style is tough, demanding and draining both physically and mentally...coaches with that style seem to usually flame out rather quickly like the ones i pointed out in my post...doesn't matter who is on the team thats gonna be his style

the Don Nelson thing was a joke and i agree about training staff

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
I'm surprised to see your on board with a new coach. To me its a no brainer

i think thibs time has ran it course...him and the FO seem to be at each others neck and the team don't seem as engaged to him as year past....so i feel its pretty much over regardless

but i'll admit theres not really any better options...im high on Fred Hoiberg but its no guarantee hes leaving Iowa State as he may be happy with his current situation...after him i got nothing

we'll see what happens but i can't imagine thibs being here after his current contract which expires in 2 years

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with this. For me, I'm tired of his coaching style. He's too predictable, I don't like the way he manages the lineups. I don't like how his subs are the same all the time. I'm tired of his screen offense. I'm tired of the same 'ol........

The bottom line is that sometimes a change is in order. It's always a tough choice to move on from a great coach when you're ownership, but sometimes it's necessary. And the #1 reason that teams finally come to this conclusion...... the same negative results EVERY year.

Sometimes it's just time for a change.

Rubbish. Change just for change sake is dumb. The people who need to be fired are in the front office. They are the reason this team fails in the play-offs namely a lack of team depth.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Rubbish. Change just for change sake is dumb. The people who need to be fired are in the front office. They are the reason this team fails in the play-offs namely a lack of team depth.

Gotta give credit though, this years team is plenty deep. It will be interesting to see what happens in crunch time. If they completely flop in the first round, no one can say the FO didnt give them offensive weapons.