If the draft falls this way... Who you taking?

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I typically start watching college players after the SB, so not very updated on players yet. If Jernigan is the best combo of pass rush AND run stopping, who would be the best run stopper in your opinion?

From the DT spot Nix is the best run stopper.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Emery needs to have a really good draft. His two drafts have been very mediocre overall. The D is depleted. An injection of young (cheap) talent would work right about now.

If Emery thinks they can get a star at 14, take the guy. If you think you can get just as good of a player trading down a bit, then I'd trade down. I don't know the history of draft day trades. I know DEN traded with STL to go up from 15 to 11 and pick Cutler. Cutler is obviously the object of a lot of debate. STL took CB Tye Hill (out of football) at 15 and Claude Wroten (out of football) with the other pick they got from DEN (4th pick of the 3rd round, #68 overall). I think Les Snead runs a tighter ship there now though.

Here's a list of recent picks who were taken 14:

Michael Haynes
Tommie Harris
Chris Williams (so the BEARS are 1 for 3, or 0 for 3 if you subtract for Harris's super short career)
Darrelle Revis
Robert Quinn (18 sacks this year…Peppers has a season high of 11.5 since joining the BEARS)
Michael Brockers
Star Lotulelei

Obviously there have been stars taken well after the 14th pick. If you feel like you can trade down and get one (and pick up an extra 3rd), I'd do it.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Don't think Jernigan is going to make it to the second round, the other two will, but not TJ.

I disagree with your opinion whole heartedly. Jernigan is at best a rotational guy, think Anthony Adams. He's not even close to being the best DT on the roster if he comes to Chicago. Jernigan would behind guys like Collins, Melton, Paea and Ratliff. No way you draft a guy that would be the fifth best DT on your roster in the first round, arguably not in the second round.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Emery needs to have a really good draft. His two drafts have been very mediocre overall. The D is depleted. An injection of young (cheap) talent would work right about now.

If Emery thinks they can get a star at 14, take the guy. If you think you can get just as good of a player trading down a bit, then I'd trade down. I don't know the history of draft day trades. I know DEN traded with STL to go up from 15 to 11 and pick Cutler. Cutler is obviously the object of a lot of debate. STL took CB Tye Hill (out of football) at 15 and Claude Wroten (out of football) with the other pick they got from DEN (4th pick of the 3rd round, #68 overall). I think Les Snead runs a tighter ship there now though.

Here's a list of recent picks who were taken 14:

Michael Haynes
Tommie Harris
Chris Williams (so the BEARS are 1 for 3, or 0 for 3 if you subtract for Harris's super short career)
Darrelle Revis
Robert Quinn (18 sacks this year…Peppers has a season high of 11.5 since joining the BEARS)
Michael Brockers
Star Lotulelei

Obviously there have been stars taken well after the 14th pick. If you feel like you can trade down and get one (and pick up an extra 3rd), I'd do it.

I didn't know the value was nearly that high for moving down just 4 picks. If we can get an early 3rd round pick for just moving back 4 spots, I would do it in a heart beat, espescially with all of the defensive talent that will be available in the first round anyway.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I disagree with your opinion whole heartedly. Jernigan is at best a rotational guy, think Anthony Adams. He's not even close to being the best DT on the roster if he comes to Chicago. Jernigan would behind guys like Collins, Melton, Paea and Ratliff. No way you draft a guy that would be the fifth best DT on your roster in the first round, arguably not in the second round.

This is why I love the draft. You obviously think Jernigan sucks yet Kiper calls it our "dream scenario" when he's there at 14 for us. And no one will probably know who's right until 2016.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Well, that makes no sense considering 3 of those guys aren't even on the roster for next year as of today. That's the whole point of taking a DT. So you don't have to pay big money to a guy coming off a torn ACL. So you don't have to pay a 33-year old that has played about 5 games in the last 2 years.

As for your assessment of Jernigan, I think you're being a little dramatic. He's clearly a top 35 talent. I wouldn't be comfortable taking him at 14. I have him about the 28th or so player on my personal big board. So, I think that would be a pretty substantial reach. He's been compared to the great 3-techniques like Tommie Harris, etc. But he's not nearly that quick. He does use his hands and strength well and is very disruptive. He wasn't as productive as Donald was this year, but he's also bigger than 275lbs. He wasn't as productive as Sutton was in 2012, but he put on weight this year and wasn't nearly as good. Also have to remember that Jernigan was playing out of position. He predominately played NT (1-tech) for FSU. He saw a ton of double teams. I think he'd be much more effective as a 3-technique in the Bears current 1-gap system.

I have Jernigan as the #3 DT behind Nix and Hageman. But I could definitely see him falling behind Sutton and Donald if both show up at the combine around 285-290 and still show the quickness they've shown in college.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:

That would be your opinion. Jernigan in my opinion has a very good blend of size, strength and quickness. Just because he is short doesn't mean hes small. He is very confident and from everything I'v read on him he puts in the time in the weight and film room and cares about the game.

And as rawdawg said he racked up 4.5 sacks 63 tackles and 11 tackles for loss from mostly playing the Nose tackle position and was a big part of the reason their defense was so dominate. Now put him at a position where he can further use his talents and your going to see a very good player. This is why so many scouts and analysts are so high on him.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
While it would be difficult to pass on a play-making CB or Safety, we have to address the DL. I'd like to sign Bennett from Seattle and re-sign Ratliff and Wooten, but we still need to draft a DT.

My course of action would be to sign a DE and Safety in FA, then draft a DT, a CB, and DE, another safety.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Well, that makes no sense considering 3 of those guys aren't even on the roster for next year as of today. That's the whole point of taking a DT. So you don't have to pay big money to a guy coming off a torn ACL. So you don't have to pay a 33-year old that has played about 5 games in the last 2 years.

As for your assessment of Jernigan, I think you're being a little dramatic. He's clearly a top 35 talent. I wouldn't be comfortable taking him at 14. I have him about the 28th or so player on my personal big board. So, I think that would be a pretty substantial reach. He's been compared to the great 3-techniques like Tommie Harris, etc. But he's not nearly that quick. He does use his hands and strength well and is very disruptive. He wasn't as productive as Donald was this year, but he's also bigger than 275lbs. He wasn't as productive as Sutton was in 2012, but he put on weight this year and wasn't nearly as good. Also have to remember that Jernigan was playing out of position. He predominately played NT (1-tech) for FSU. He saw a ton of double teams. I think he'd be much more effective as a 3-technique in the Bears current 1-gap system.

I have Jernigan as the #3 DT behind Nix and Hageman. But I could definitely see him falling behind Sutton and Donald if both show up at the combine around 285-290 and still show the quickness they've shown in college.

It makes complete sense if you think of it in the context of where his talent fits with players you're familiar with. Sutton weighed in at 315 at the Senior Bowl and just a hair under 6-1.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
While it would be difficult to pass on a play-making CB or Safety, we have to address the DL. I'd like to sign Bennett from Seattle and re-sign Ratliff and Wooten, but we still need to draft a DT.

My course of action would be to sign a DE and Safety in FA, then draft a DT, a CB, and DE, another safety.

I can see this, but IMO you still go front 7 in the first round hopefully BPA is a DT or a DE. Im in favor of taking CB/S in the 2nd. Dion Bailey, Deone Bucannon at safety or Marcus Roberson, Varrett, Fuller or Roby could all be there in the 2nd.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I have Hageman ahead of Nix, way ahead.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Looks like Aaron Donald weighed in at 6' 7/8", 288lbs, and 31 3/4" arms. Basically Geno Atkins' size.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Weigh-In.php

This. Atkins posted 34 reps on the bench so if Donald plays well this week and shows good strength he will really help himself.

BearsFan51: Sutton had a down year this year because he played 20 pounds heavier this year compared to his breakout junior year(28). And at 315 that's 15 pounds heavier than his playing weight this year (300). If he looks slow and out of shape he stock is going to tank.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I have Hageman ahead of Nix, way ahead.

The only thing I have hageman ahead of nix in is athletic potential. He also has significantly more risks with character, maturity, discipline, effort, etc.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Anyone know much about Kareem Martin? Is he 2nd round worthy? Has the right size at DE and read good stuff but haven't seen him play.

Always had elite athleticism but never lived up to it runs hot and cold. This year played much better and had 11.5 sacks. He will go in the 2nd-3rd depending on if GM's don't think his motor is a permanent problem.

Liked Posts:
Anyone know much about Kareem Martin? Is he 2nd round worthy? Has the right size at DE and read good stuff but haven't seen him play.

I like Kareem Martin a lotl. He played for a bad program at N.C. so you really don't hear a lot about him. I put him in almost every mock I make up. He has length, size & athleticism, has the frame to add more size if needed, & is a very balanced DE. IMO he doesn't really standout in one particular area, say like a pure pass rushing 4-3 RDE, or pure run stuffer, but is a very balanced player who IMO, could possibly pan out to be a 4-3 LDE who sets the edge, contains, rushes the QB, play some NT in a 4 DE NASCAR set, & stops the run. If the kid were to pan out I think he could pull off a career of production similar to how Izzy did from 2010-2012, but only at a much younger age with the possibility of more longevity. Or obviously the kid could just shit the bed & suck altogether. If he has an outstanding Senior Bowl, & or Combine, he should shoot up the boards, he has near perfect measurables for a young 4-3 DE prospect, & he did quietly produce statistically with a nice amount of TFLs & sacks over his collegiate career. I think the kid is going to be a steal if he goes in the 3rd or 4th rounds, but that's just a guess & opinion, obviously nothing of any real merit. I would be happy to see him in a Bears uniform even if he does shoot up the board after the Senior Bowl & Combine, & go in the second round.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
This. Atkins posted 34 reps on the bench so if Donald plays well this week and shows good strength he will really help himself.

BearsFan51: Sutton had a down year this year because he played 20 pounds heavier this year compared to his breakout junior year(28). And at 315 that's 15 pounds heavier than his playing weight this year (300). If he looks slow and out of shape he stock is going to tank.

I"m all together curious as to why Sutton is weighing more than his playing weight from this season. Sutton has never been a lazy kid, he's been a guy who has played with a chip on his shoulder his entire career. He was a 245-pound freshman who came into the program and worked his ass off to get to the level he's at now.

ASU has a Pat Tillman practice jersey that goes to the player on the team who practices hard plays hard and does great things in the classroom and the weight room. The head coach at ASU (Todd Graham) takes discipline and leadership very seriously and in order to earn the jersey you have to perform every day, you don't earn the jersey for the week you earn on a per practice basis. Sutton held the jersey throughout most of the season by his demonstrated leadership and desire.

So he's never had the reputation of being lazy or a kid to take his position on the team lightly. If Sutton stock is hurt then he'll be a flat out bargain later in the draft because he doesn't have even the slightest character concerns.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I"m all together curious as to why Sutton is weighing more than his playing weight from this season. Sutton has never been a lazy kid, he's been a guy who has played with a chip on his shoulder his entire career. He was a 245-pound freshman who came into the program and worked his ass off to get to the level he's at now.

ASU has a Pat Tillman practice jersey that goes to the player on the team who practices hard plays hard and does great things in the classroom and the weight room. The head coach at ASU (Todd Graham) takes discipline and leadership very seriously and in order to earn the jersey you have to perform every day, you don't earn the jersey for the week you earn on a per practice basis. Sutton held the jersey throughout most of the season by his demonstrated leadership and desire.

So he's never had the reputation of being lazy or a kid to take his position on the team lightly. If Sutton stock is hurt then he'll be a flat out bargain later in the draft because he doesn't have even the slightest character concerns.

The reports today were saying that scouts were chuckling at all the extra weight he was carrying around his mid section.