CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
"If this was a first round pick" and Bears fans. Bears fans don't even let a rookie 1st at any position have a rookie excuse. You expect me to believe they're going to say impressive about a 1st round QB that is hidden behind RBs and dink and dunk?
What QB treated like that have Bears fans ever been good with?

Look at our 3 2nd round DBs already being called trash with no pass rush to help.

quite the opposite

the coverage has been playing well with little pass rush

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Why are you so annoyed that people are happy for Bagent? Again, no one is saying he's a franchise QB.

Also, what I said was objectively true. You won't find many franchise QBs who had a better first start than Bagent. Doesn't mean Bagent's a franchise QB, but it does mean he was impressive.

You watched the game, yes? Reading defenses, finding the open guys, staying poised, escaping pressure, making smart plays. That's impressive, man. Why is that such a controversial take?

Well now you suddenly change the story from how Bears fans would react if he was a 1st rounder to they're just happy for him. That would get a very different reaction from me. Just don't try to hide the fact that he was sheltered with RBs and short passes and how most fans reacted to Orton doing the same thing.
I was one of the few for Orton.

I even asked why aren't the OCs calling like that for the 1st rounders. You know, since we don't surround them with the talent to hold the ball while the #1 read goes out 50 yards.

I watched the game so hard I didn't respond much in the IGT. I even said he's got a good football head in this thread. But it was very Ortonesque play calling.
The controversial take is trying to gaslight me about how most Bears fans reacted to Orton doing the same thing. I hold grudges.
If Bagent was a 1st rounder fans would be expecting a lot more. How bad most 1st rounders' games are wouldn't matter. We've been through this many times with people bringing up how bad Peyton Mannings first games were because people were mad that our own 1st rounders in Trubisky and Fields weren't instantly lighting it up.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Note that Bronco Orton had consistent 3K+ years.
Someone already posted Orton stats for his first 3 starts.

Something like 1 TD and 5 or 6 INTs.

So not really good. Don't see the comparison

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
quite the opposite

the coverage has been playing well with little pass rush

You and I can say that but a lot of fans aren't. I've heard all 3 names called crap. Including Stevenson within the first couple weeks of his rookie year.

that and the defense has been playing better as of late

That kind of pisses me off. Seems as soon as QB1 went down the defense really came alive and started trying to defend. They actually looked impressive.
Hopefully when/if Fields comes back or if the OC decides to let Bagent air it out they remember they know how to play.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The game ways never in doubt, and not sure how you can say leading 30-6 with 2 minutes left in the game was eked it out.

Let me ask you, how many times last year, and early this year, had you heard people bitch about how Fields did not throw a pass over 10 yards? Yesterdays game plan was one that was given to Fields many times and he failed every time to execute it, short passing game, to open up the running game, it's as simple as that.

That kid played behind the same, if not worse, oline than Fields has had to play behind, yet now everyone is saying how great the line played. Did the line play better because the QB can actually execute? You want the players around the QB to look better because of the QB, did the receivers who have not done anything all year, except DJ, look better than they ever have?

Honest answer to a question. On the play where the QB faked the hand off, rolled to the right, then threw the ball all the way across the field to the receiver, and complete it. A play that takes QB talent to execute, do you feel Fields could pull that play off?

Why are you lionizing the resulting stat line? The only thing that made it impressive was that it came from a rookie Division II quarterback in his first start in the nfl. And it resulted in a win. The game plan was indeed designed to eat out a win but the Bears executed it amazingly and the kid surpassed any of the expectations with the very limited game plan he was given hence the score. The result doesn't change the game plan. Rather it just means he executed far above expectations.

I'm not turning this into a fight between a backup quarterback if he maxes out and Justin fields. Fields may not even be the quarterback by the time we hit 2025 and whatever Fields deficiencies are and yes I do agree that this rookie exposed some of those, that has nothing to do with my feelings on tyson.