If this was a first round pick’s 1st start, we’d say this was impressive

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
I'm a huge JF fan but have no problem rooting for Bagent, he did well yesterday, end of discussion for me. They're both Bears.

I agree, he played well and I was praising him in the in game thread.

He has no deep ball though and Fields is still QB1

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
No. I'm saying that based on his most recent complete games, regardless of the bears defense, Fields seems to have markedly improved as a QB.

Separate from that, I'm saying that Fields record (the BEARS record) would look much better if the defense we saw yesterday showed up more consistently.

Nice strawman, though.

🤡
Yea...ok....got it.....glad you cleared that up.......

msadows

Liked Posts:
Good wit for Monday morning, I needed a good laugh.

Honestly the better comp is caleb hanie.

Both kinda look similar, were UDFA's, and both had their first start against the Raiders after a beloved bears QB got hurt.

Both also did ok against the raiders and the goobers on CCS who always hate the incumbent QB went apeshit thinking he was the answer.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Orton was a complete disaster his first few games, despite a world class defense.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
2.4 average depth of target kinda disagrees with you.

You can only do so much in the NFL with that same recipe next week.
A better stat looks like this...'W'..................you're going to throw at me some silly meaningless stat, really? I mean, what if he throws a 1 yard TD pass, that would really hurt his average depth of target. Even a 2 yard TD would hurt the average. Well,,,,,we can't have that, can we?

Washington

Liked Posts:
I'm a huge JF fan but have no problem rooting for Bagent, he did well yesterday, end of discussion for me. They're both Bears.
I'm really boggled why there has to an either or discussion. I want the Bears to have a good QB. What would be even better is the Bears having more than 1 like GB did under the Wolf years when he had Favre and still drafted the likes of Detmer, Hasselbeck, Brunell, and Brooks.

I want JF to be a star but I am still skeptical if that can happen. He seems to lack the ability to read the whole field and throw his receivers open. He has the stronger arm and superior intangibles but it seems Bagent has a skill set JF does not. We might have 2 backups on the roster now both of whom can win games. I still want a true star QB1 and am still hoping JF is that. But, I am really rooting for Bagent when he plays because he is a Bear and I want to see the team do well.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
What 2 game stretch did Trubisky put up those numbers? Specifically back to back 4TD 280+ yard games?
Against Miami (316 yards) and then Tampa Bay (354 yards):

Trubisky also averaged 201 passing yards per game that year. Fields is currently at 200 yards per game this year.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
One thing that I want to stress that I think will go very underreported and unnoticed. And this is super impressive. They gave this kid the backup quarterback plan to eke out a win. Hit the dump offs and his first reads. They kept it simple for him. But the kid decided no, I'm not that guy. He took it upon himself to actually make more than one read and even scan the entire field by the end of the game and still was able in the plays where he was supposed to go to his primary read and got the ball to his primary read on time even after making all of the reads. And then on top of it when gets even made a really bad call, he changed the line protections twice during the game at the line of scrimmage.

I just wish he had a much better arm but it's really impressive what he did.

The game ways never in doubt, and not sure how you can say leading 30-6 with 2 minutes left in the game was eked it out.

Let me ask you, how many times last year, and early this year, had you heard people bitch about how Fields did not throw a pass over 10 yards? Yesterdays game plan was one that was given to Fields many times and he failed every time to execute it, short passing game, to open up the running game, it's as simple as that.

That kid played behind the same, if not worse, oline than Fields has had to play behind, yet now everyone is saying how great the line played. Did the line play better because the QB can actually execute? You want the players around the QB to look better because of the QB, did the receivers who have not done anything all year, except DJ, look better than they ever have?

Honest answer to a question. On the play where the QB faked the hand off, rolled to the right, then threw the ball all the way across the field to the receiver, and complete it. A play that takes QB talent to execute, do you feel Fields could pull that play off?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The game ways never in doubt, and not sure how you can say leading 30-6 with 2 minutes left in the game was eked it out.

Let me ask you, how many times last year, and early this year, had you heard people bitch about how Fields did not throw a pass over 10 yards? Yesterdays game plan was one that was given to Fields many times and he failed every time to execute it, short passing game, to open up the running game, it's as simple as that.

That kid played behind the same, if not worse, oline than Fields has had to play behind, yet now everyone is saying how great the line played. Did the line play better because the QB can actually execute? You want the players around the QB to look better because of the QB, did the receivers who have not done anything all year, except DJ, look better than they ever have?

Honest answer to a question. On the play where the QB faked the hand off, rolled to the right, then threw the ball all the way across the field to the receiver, and complete it. A play that takes QB talent to execute, do you feel Fields could pull that play off?

as someone who likes Fields and still want him to get a chance to be much more consistent, this is true for week 1

same type of gameplan but the difference was

1. The team was terrible on 3rd down
2. Fields turned it over twice
3. he took 4 sacks compared to 1

that and the defense has been playing better as of late

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Against Miami (316 yards) and then Tampa Bay (354 yards):

Trubisky also averaged 201 passing yards per game that year. Fields is currently at 200 yards per game this year.

You see, I hate this, because I’m rooting for Fields, but the more Fields white knighters try to prop him up, the worse he looks.

Can’t we just be happy for an undrafted rookie getting a win in his debut, something that hasn’t happened since 1950?

No, instead people have to try to drag Bagent down by comparing his first career start to Fields’ 29th and 30th career starts, only to realize that, holy shit, Fields will never have a passing season as good as Trubisky, despite Trubisky being bad-to-mediocre.

Truth hurts. Let’s just enjoy the moment, no matter where it leads or doesn’t lead. Delving into Fields’ numbers will only make all of us even more depressed.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
There is much more to look at than just the yardage.

How were they on third down? 8 for 13

How many sacks? Just 1

How many turnovers? 0

Thats the difference that people are pointing at.

"If this was a first round pick" and Bears fans. Bears fans don't even let a rookie 1st at any position have a rookie excuse. You expect me to believe they're going to say impressive about a 1st round QB that is hidden behind RBs and dink and dunk?
What QB treated like that have Bears fans ever been good with?

Look at our 3 2nd round DBs already being called trash with no pass rush to help.