IGT: Cubs @ Braves (Make up game)

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I understand the mathematical theory and it's sound but my question to you is this....why? What is the purpose of this? Are you a betting man? I don't get why prognosticating a baseball game has any interest....just watch the game and see what happens. If you went to a movie...would it make sense to know the ending before you sat down? Isn't not knowing what will happen what makes sports so interesting? I'm not at all trying to be an ass...I'm serious. What is the point of trying to figure out what will happen before it does?

I watch a lot of baseball. I guess I just like backing up what I'm seeing with numbers. I've been certain that the Cubs were going to win the division for two months and I pay attention to the numbers to back up what I see on the field. This is a damn good baseball team and some posters here act like we're the Washington Nationals. I get frustrated and map out all the numbers to show how difficult it would be for that not to happen. I really didn't mean to start anything. I get annoyed.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I watch a lot of baseball. I guess I just like backing up what I'm seeing with numbers. I've been certain that the Cubs were going to win the division for two months and I pay attention to the numbers to back up what I see on the field. This is a damn good baseball team and some posters here act like we're the Washington Nationals. I get frustrated and map out all the numbers to show how difficult it would be for that not to happen. I really didn't mean to start anything. I get annoyed.

Well, that's an easy one. Over many, many years this team has established itself by finding a way to blow up just when you think that they can't....maybe from 1969 on forward that's been the case. What that has to do with the Cubs of today is beyond me. This team has already proven itself...at least to me. It's why I bristle at any suggestion of trading guys that have performed well under pressure for the unknown, which is exactly what a new player is when he hits Wrigley. Look at Zobrist....all off season and preseason he was dogged here for being too old, too brittle and at the end of the line...never once figuring in a nasty wrist injury into the equation. Wanted him gone....other than Baez, he's been their most consistent performer. I'll live and die with these guys.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I understand the mathematical theory and it's sound but my question to you is this....why? What is the purpose of this? Are you a betting man? I don't get why prognosticating a baseball game has any interest....just watch the game and see what happens. If you went to a movie...would it make sense to know the ending before you sat down? Isn't not knowing what will happen what makes sports so interesting? I'm not at all trying to be an ass...I'm serious. What is the point of trying to figure out what will happen before it does?

Context I guess would be my answer. People can look at the standings in baseball but those numbers don't really tell you the context. How good is a 4 game lead in april? How good is a 4 game lead in september? If you don't understand the likely outcomes they would effectively be identical because if we're playing the "anything can happen" game then everything is on the table. Intuitively you know that having a 4 game lead in april is paramount to nothing while having a lead later in the season is of bigger importance. But you know that because you have historical context which is just a different way of assessing the situation but goes to the same goal.

If you are someone who doesn't care about the end results and just enjoys the ride more power to you. However, I would argue there's not much discussion to be had with someone who approaches the game that way. I'd also suggest that it helps manage expectations. As humans we aren't particularly good at evaluating situations emotionless. If you win a tough series vs a rival you feel on top of the world and if you lose a series to a bad team you feel shitty. If you're carrying around that emotional baggage when you watch games it can drive some people nutty. On the other hand, if you look at a projection for say 30 games and it says you're going to win 18 of 30 does it really matter which 18?

That's why I like it. It removes some of the chaos. Another way to look at it would be asa guide to the playoffs. You win at this rate consistently and you should win the division/make the playoffs. It's obviously no guarantee but it puts context on where you are after the results of a given day.

Edit: on my way to grab some food I thought of another way to say this. To use your movie example, it's not about knowing the ending before it happens though I think you could to an extent make an analogy to tv fanbases who enjoy theorycrafting what will happen with the mystery of a series. To me the actual events that happen would be like the plot points in a movie. But the plot points don't tell a good story. They get you from a to b. For example you can summarize most movies quickly. Predator is a movie about a commando who kills an alien. That in of itself isn't a good story. What was the alien like? Was he ET? Was he the bad ass killing machine he was in the movie? Was it in a city? Was it in a jungle?....etc think you get the point.

That adds color to the story. And more color always makes a story more enjoyable to experience.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I see what you're saying but you speak of emotions by fans. Emotions....it's a human only factor not only in fans but players as well. It's something that cannot be calculated mathematically. Pressure is an emotional feeling that some players can easily deal with while others cannot. So as sound as the numbers are, whether pressure is a reason players can or cannot perform to their abilities will always be something that cannot be accounted for. Which for me is a blessing....what great baseball memories would be lost if they could.