IGT: Cubs @ Dodgers Game 5(NLCS)

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Heyward needs to get benched right? I'm convinced the Dodgers could throw him 75mph fastballs down the middle of the plate and he'd just roll over them or pop them up.

Heyward at-bats = cringe-worthy

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hadn't you heard? Joe is not to be trusted, Theo is turning over the decision makings to the fans.

Actually, I did hear that Theo wants Joe to run everything past newly acquired Bobby Cox though. :)

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
well, what I saw was Chapman was not happy at all to be brought in with such a big lead, but what choice did Joe have, let him go 3 full days before his next appearance? All Chapman did was mess with the slider until he got in trouble, but the fastball was not really there either.

I think Lester threw on short rest, but it was to start, not come in late. If its game 7, all hands on deck, but back of your mind is you want Lester and Arrieta in Cleveland, especially hearing Major League Vaughn might be throwing out first pitch Tuesday with his music and entrance from the pen (if Cleveland is out of their minds, they dont ask). That way Hendricks Lackey/Hammel are here for Wrigley. I know you gotta get there, but I dont think Lackey starts game 1.

If the Cubs get there, Lester is pitching game 1. Also, Hammel, LOL.

Dukeblue11

Liked Posts:
Game 6 lineup needs to be
1. Fowler
2. Bryant
3. Rizzo
4. Zobrist
5. Baez
6. Contreras
7. Russell
8. Almora
9. Hendricks

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Very interesting to see Almora get an AB last night and then get in to the field for two innings; leads me to believe Joe is thinking of giving him a start against Kershaw and/or Hill because why get Almora in to LF with a 8-1 lead when you didn't bring him in last night with a 10-2 lead.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Actually, I did hear that Theo wants Joe to run everything past newly acquired Bobby Cox though. :)

You do realize bobby cox is the most overrated postseason manager?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Very interesting to see Almora get an AB last night and then get in to the field for two innings; leads me to believe Joe is thinking of giving him a start against Kershaw and/or Hill because why get Almora in to LF with a 8-1 lead when you didn't bring him in last night with a 10-2 lead.
To give Zobie a rest. Cause Maddon like to spread playing time around. To keep everyone's head in the game

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You tend to blow it as much as he did, and you're doing something wrong. Bobby was great until it became a chess match and he couldn't just win with better talent.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
You tend to blow it as much as he did, and you're doing something wrong. Bobby was great until it became a chess match and he couldn't just win with better talent.

He was always blessed with average bullpens that were drastically saved by having elite SP (which having three HOF guys is). Great SP is why they got their every year but he pitched his starters so much to save an average bullpen that his guys simply didn't have the bullets left in October to win games. I don't think he was unable to make good moves but he was unable to save his guys.

He also lost a lot with guys who you simply ride with (Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux) having a bad start.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
To give Zobie a rest. Cause Maddon like to spread playing time around. To keep everyone's head in the game

It's the first time Almora has played in the OF since game 3 of the Giants series and the second time of the playoffs. I don't know if Joe is overly concerned with rest when the Cubs have a day-off (today) and it was just two innings of "rest".

I can't imagine Joe starting Heyward against Kershaw. The biggest AB of the game for the Cubs came with Heyward up and the career numbers are awful in a small sample.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs get there, Lester is pitching game 1. Also, Hammel, LOL.

That response was not sure on how the lackee one took that being pulled in the third. If they used all 5 pitchers, then game 6 and 7 would be Lester and Arietta, if you use the 4, then Hendricks gets game 7. Would a Hammel start actually ease the rotation to the lester arietta favor. All we know now is game 1,2,6,7 are road games, so I really doubt they want the rotation to fall to Hendricks game 7 on the road, even if all arms are available.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
It's the first time Almora has played in the OF since game 3 of the Giants series and the second time of the playoffs. I don't know if Joe is overly concerned with rest when the Cubs have a day-off (today) and it was just two innings of "rest".

I can't imagine Joe starting Heyward against Kershaw. The biggest AB of the game for the Cubs came with Heyward up and the career numbers are awful in a small sample.
Both Joe and Zoberist have talked openly this year about making sure Zoberist gets a rest.

I'm praying Heyward sits but dont think it will happen

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Both Joe and Zoberist have talked openly this year about making sure Zoberist gets a rest.

I'm praying Heyward sits but dont think it will happen

You stack your line-up with righties much like the Dodgers will stack theirs with lefties. The Cubs will employ eight righties versus Kershaw, and the Dodgers will counter with eight lefties against Hendricks. Look for the Cubs to go to Montgomery and Wood if needed first.

That is also the beauty of having two switch hitters in the Cubs line-up. If they change pitchers tomorrow ( I hope it is early), then the Cubs have the ability to not pull Fowler or Zobrist out of the line-up.

My prediction is IF the Cubs get decent pitching.......that they will break through against Kershaw.

Wrigley Field and the surrounding streets will be rockin". I can't wait. :smug2:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Why would he not pitch when other aces have in that exact same situation? Not only is he their ace, but the Dodgers struggle against lefties.

Because a starter on 2 days rest after pitching more than 100 pitches is not a better option than our pen. And we need his arm vs Cleveland. Don't delay his start there.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Nobody needs a rest at this point. More days off in postseason than 2nd half of reg season