IGT: NLCS Chicago vs Los Angeles Game 3

ChicagoBornCalifLiving

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The story of the whole series. 2nd and 3rd no one out and can't score, along with 23 walks by the bullpen.

ChicagoBornCalifLiving

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Down 6-1 in the ninth, if you are sending a catcher, you should be shot.

That is ALL on Almora. Bad baserunning. No awareness. Never looked at third.

Not picking a fight but Avila was rumbling into third as the ball was being dug out, Jones throws up his hands when he sees the hand go up.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I guess that's right.

If he was that far along. But I would hate to see a guy thrown out when his run doesn't matter.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Schwarber's hr was the only highlight for the Cubs. Another awful performance from the Cubs offense.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Jensen recored 3 outs throwing 4 strikes in total

ChicagoBornCalifLiving

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I guess that's right.

If he was that far along. But I would hate to see a guy thrown out when his run doesn't matter.

Agreed, as if it mattered with our offense. Just hope we don't get swept out in 4.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I mean it's fuking comical

Their game plan coming in...and it was out in the open....was to beat us with high fastballs.....thru 3 games we've bitten almost every time and over half have been out of the zone

Contrast that with their approach.....they've rarely swung at pitches outside of the zone and have been hammering everything in the zone.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Now we need 2015 Arrieta

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I mean it's fuking comical

Their game plan coming in...and it was out in the open....was to beat us with high fastballs.....thru 3 games we've bitten almost every time and over half have been out of the zone

Contrast that with their approach.....they've rarely swung at pitches outside of the zone and have been hammering everything in the zone.

The number of batters we have walked is higher than the number of pitches we have taken.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Question is, how does Theo get rid of dead weight like Zobrist, Heyward in the offseason?

greg23

Liked Posts:
Question is, how does Theo get rid of dead weight like Zobrist, Heyward in the offseason?

Zobrist is dead weight and easily replaced by happ as super utility guy....epstien/hoyer would be amazing if they found somebody to take him.

Nobody is taking Heyward and he's not opting out....plus he has some marginal value as a gg rf and left handed hitter.

What we need is a switch hitting leadoff hitter type who can play of......if you can find that you can build a balanced line-up vs rhp while still mixing in almora with happ and this fictional of vs lhp.

Leadoff guy
Schwarber
Bryant
Rizzo
Contreras
Russell
Hayward/happ
Baez/heyward

The problem is the cubs have serious pitching issues heading into next year with almost 0 internal options available.

2 starters
1 closer
At least 2 addtl/upgraded middle relievers.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:

I don’t know, but he better be working the phones to get these deals off the books. What I do know is that he’ll probably have to include prospects and money in potential deals to entice teams.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Something occurred to me while watching tonights game that I hadn't really thought much about. The cubs have a complete inability to score runs without a big extra base hit. That's not earth shattering or anything but I was thinking about why this is the case. The obvious answer people look at is their issues with k's and contact rate. That indeed is an issue but the thing that struck me was the lack of real speed on the base paths. Rizzo, Bryant and Heyward are good baserunners but not really threats to steal much. Really the only one who should probably be a base stealing threat is Baez but ironically he can't get on base to save his life.

Simply put they are a team that can get on base but unless someone comes up with a big hit it's rather pointless because they don't put enough balls in play to advance runners and no one can create bases for themselves by stealing.

millerjg01

Liked Posts:
I don't like Schwarber at leadoff. I know the game has changed and some of you could probably statistically list good reasons why he should bat leadoff, but I don't like it. I miss the days of the classic leadoff guy...give me Bobby Denier any day (yeah, I'm in my mid 40's lol).

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Something occurred to me while watching tonights game that I hadn't really thought much about. The cubs have a complete inability to score runs without a big extra base hit. That's not earth shattering or anything but I was thinking about why this is the case. The obvious answer people look at is their issues with k's and contact rate. That indeed is an issue but the thing that struck me was the lack of real speed on the base paths. Rizzo, Bryant and Heyward are good baserunners but not really threats to steal much. Really the only one who should probably be a base stealing threat is Baez but ironically he can't get on base to save his life.

Simply put they are a team that can get on base but unless someone comes up with a big hit it's rather pointless because they don't put enough balls in play to advance runners and no one can create bases for themselves by stealing.

That's a weird complaint to make about a team that scores 40% of their runs via the HR when the league average for runs scored via HR is...40%.

The idea of "advancing" runners only matters in extremely high leverage situations; you almost never want to give up an out to advance a runner in a baseball game unless that run is highly valuable to winning a game or the batter (i.e the pitcher) is extremely unlikely to reach base.

I also disagree with this sentiment as the only Cub I truly don't trust to go 1-3 or 2-H on a single or 1-H on a double is maybe Zobrist or Schwarber and those two players had terrible OBP. The Cubs made a lot of outs on the basebaths (i.e Contreras) due to mental lapses, not physical shortcomings.

And much like the regular season, if your leadoff guy doesn't get on in front of your most productive hitters, nothing matters. a .324 OBP from the leadoff spot and STILL being #2 in the league in runs is quite impressive. The Padres scored over 200 less runs and their leadoff guy OBP was .315.