IHN and my time (Please read, everyone)

Ton

Liked Posts:
As most of you have noticed, I haven't really been as active as I have been in the past. In that respect, many areas of IHN are lacking and quite frankly, providing a poor experience for new users, which in turn shows a lack of recruitment in members. In my experience, people come and go <span style="color:#800080;">(some stay forever no matter how many times we ban them, ermm)</span>, and that's fine as long as people keep coming. But I simply don't know if my inactivity will keep people coming.</p>

</p>

I have a lot on my plate with school, work, and other extracurricular activities that relate back to school/my degree that have soaked up all my time, and at this moment I just can't find the time to keep IHN up-to-date. I don't want our community to suffer as a result of that. I've put a lot of pride in my work here and we've built up a great place to talk Blackhawks, I don't want to jeopardize everything we've achieved since 2008.</p>

</p>

One solution I have, some people may be on board with it, some may be skeptical, but keep in mind that I can work with any concerns you may have about this, and this isn't a "done deal" by any means. I just want to discuss the possibility to see if this is something we can do to fix this.</p>

</p>

So here it is: Another website, Chi City Sports, is giving us an opportunity to merge with them. This would take all the load off me (updating code, security, bills, writing, social media, surprise downtime, and all the responsibilities that come with being an administrator) and allow us to join a website that has a fantastic administrator that can afford to keep IHN a growing community. Our community will take over their Blackhawks section, and our staff will remain in place, and, of course, I will still be involved as the leader of their Blackhawks section, guest writer, and active contributor on the boards just as I am now. I just won't be the administrator.</p>

</p>

Now, I realize most come to IHN because, well... it's IHN. So although we will be a part of CCS, they will accommodate a seamless transition, we will keep the domain name, and they will model their Blackhawks section after IHN's template/theme. The rules won't change and the community can carry out as they have been since 2008 under the same moderation team, if they all choose to remain. These are all positives, along with the fact that we will be fully funded and supported (no need for further donations to keep the website afloat) and their administrator will take care of every bug, glitch, etc.. etc..</p>

</p>

I think this is a positive step for us, for everything we've accomplished, I think this is something that can keep IHN trending in a positive direction even with my time restraints. Although we will be joining another community, keep in mind their Blackawks section is currently barren, so it would just be us. They do have a very active Bears and Bulls section, but those guys don't really post about the Blackhawks. They also have their own version of NHTA, as well as a political/beliefs board just like us.</p>

</p>

Lastly, I would like to open this up to discussion and want to hear your questions and concerns. As I stated, every concern will be addressed and accommodated, as long as they are reasonable. After two weeks, we will have a board vote and decide which direction we are going to go. Nothing is happening until we can figure this out. Keep that in mind.</p>

</p>

Thanks for reading, fire away.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Perhaps these responsibilities arent really needed.</p>

</p>

I have enjoyed watching this forum go from a rag-tag forum place to post to that of a content and feature rich site. Most of the posters here know other posters and those that dont have been reading and posting from others for years now. </p>

</p>

But I also do not know the day-to-day admin that you may have to do. Or if the contributions are enough to cover bills. I certainly understand not wanting to have that "responsibility" anymore.</p>

</p>

My meager opinion is that if content and such didnt change, I dont think those who frequent the board would care. </p>

</p>

And thanks for all the work to this point, to include looking out for the "community" here as a whole. </p>

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think IHN can easily survive if it's just what we originally set it out to be: a message board.

We don't need front page content, or NHL news-- if it's important to our community, we'll post it in one of the numerous forums we have.</p>

</p>

IHN has 2,600 Facebook followers.  That's one hell of a community that can be steered towards these forums.  It needs someone to update it once a day/2 days to keep interest.  Every week or so advertise a topic in our forums that we're discussing (mostly hockey related).

One such topic could be the high hit on Hertl by Edler.  Did it warrant a suspension? 

I used to post in CCS.  I don't think I've been there in 3 years.  Nothing against them, I just don't prefer their site.  We came from the officials in a group exodus that was great, and we've picked up a few more while we've been here.  We've also lost some, but that's the growing pains and numerous social media outlets that are available.

I'm not sure what the cost is of running just a secure message board with the ability to chat during games, but I will help finance it if it continues to stay us without CCS.  I also wouldn't mind thoughts from everyone including those who run CCS.

I like our little group of rejects.</p>

It's what makes it fun to be here.  

I will help it out as long as it stays true to what we originally planned in 2007-- Rink Talk (prior to IHN) was just us talking hockey and NHTA, and it was just fine.  </p>

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Personally, "we" started our own site to have complete control. I prefer that so you can guess as to where my thoughts would lead in regards to merging with another site.  </p>

</p>

If Ton does not have the time to do so can another admin be hired? We can set the cost up on the site and raise $$ to cover that cost. This would still allow us to have our independence and quite frankly at 500+ members I bet any site would love to have us "merge" with them.</p>

R K

I am in agreement with Paul and Jako. </p>

</p>

After checking out CCS over the past week I just don't see many of us going there. </p>

</p>

That said it is ultimately a "community" decision.  I am happy just having the boards and possible game chat.  I honestly don't look at the splash page and have other avenues for that, such as CBH/NHL/TSN.. ect ect...</p>

R K

I do agree with IHF as well, although don't think we need to hire an admin.  I think it's all about the message board at this point.</p>

</p>

Ultimately four of us hatched this idea in my basement.  Trev, Paul, Tony and myself.  And it was to have our OWN control like IHF suggested.</p>

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="IceHogsFan" data-cid="210779" data-time="1381769321">
<div>

Personally, "we" started our own site to have complete control. I prefer that so you can guess as to where my thoughts would lead in regards to merging with another site.  </p>

</p>

If Ton does not have the time to do so can another admin be hired? We can set the cost up on the site and raise $$ to cover that cost. This would still allow us to have our independence and quite frankly at 500+ members I bet any site would love to have us "merge" with them.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Agree.

It basically would come down to a vote (at least I would hope)

1. We join CCS</p>

2. We continue with new admin and explore the possibilities of a scaled down site (just boards)

3. We keep IHN "as is" with content

4. Motherfuckin' Dany</p>

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BlackhawkPaul" data-cid="210783" data-time="1381769468">
<div>

Agree.

It basically would come down to a vote (at least I would hope)

1. We join CCS</p>

2. We continue with new admin and explore the possibilities of a scaled down site (just boards)

3. We keep IHN "as is" with content

4. Motherfuckin' Dany</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

The fact that BHP just played the Dany card solidifies why we are here!</p>

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="R K" data-cid="210781" data-time="1381769430">
<div>

I do agree with IHF as well, although don't think we need to hire an admin.  I think it's all about the message board at this point.</p>

</p>

Ultimately four of us hatched this idea in my basement.  Trev, Paul, Tony and myself.  And it was to have our OWN control like IHF suggested.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Agree.

I think a group of us can keep the admin roles to a basic "does the site work" role.

A couple of moderators and we're good to go.

Yes, I will bring back Stu if he behaves (although I feel he never left). :icon-smile:

I also think a small social media presence (Twitter, Facebook) will help drive traffic to us, preferably on game days or the entry draft.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="IceHogsFan" data-cid="210784" data-time="1381769591">
<div>

The fact that BHP just played the Dany card solidifies why we are here!</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

QFT</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I really don't want to see IHN join CSS as from a board members perspective, they offer nothing there for hockey talk and it won't truly be "our" site anymore.

I'm in agreement with Paul that at this point, we don't need the whole site anymore. A simple message board like we have and a game day chat room is really all we need. If we wanted to write content, we could just get a free blogger site and link it to the boards.

My questions:

What does it cost a year to run the entire site?

What does it cost a year for just the forums?

Would forums only reduce the workload and allow you to still admin?

I have no problem helping out financially within reason, as long as it's boards and chat.

Ton

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="IceHogsFan" data-cid="210779" data-time="1381769321">
<div>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Where does the notion that we would not have control come in? We would run their Blackhawks section. I cannot be anymore clear about that.</p>

</p>

So far from the response, I'm still not quite sure why this is a bad idea.</p>

</p>

Come up with a list of pros about IHN. Maybe that will make it more clear, and I will go through them, and check everything off that will stay the same. I feel like there is something missing here that I'm not quite catching.</p>

Ton

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="210787" data-time="1381769878">
<div>

I really don't want to see IHN join CSS as from a board members perspective, they offer nothing there for hockey talk and it won't truly be "our" site anymore.

I'm in agreement with Paul that at this point, we don't need the whole site anymore. A simple message board like we have and a game day chat room is really all we need. If we wanted to write content, we could just get a free blogger site and link it to the boards.

My questions:

1. What does it cost a year to run the entire site? 

2. What does it cost a year for just the forums?

3. Would forums only reduce the workload and allow you to still admin?

I have no problem helping out financially within reason, as long as it's boards and chat.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

1. I don't have an exact number for you at the moment, but I will crunch the numbers</p>

2. Possibly, but not significantly, also depends on the traffic.</p>

3. Right now I have no workload, because I haven't done anything in months. But, it would reduce the workload if I were fully involved right now, although there are still many things that need to be done.</p>

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ton DeFrancesco" data-cid="210789" data-time="1381770023">
<div>

Where does the notion that we would not have control come in? We would run their Blackhawks section. I cannot be anymore clear about that.</p>

</p>

So far from the response, I'm still not quite sure why this is a bad idea.</p>

</p>

Come up with a list of pros about IHN. Maybe that will make it more clear, and I will go through them, and check everything off that will stay the same. I feel like there is something missing here that I'm not quite catching.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Is there a contract drawn up?</p>

What's in it for CCS? 

What happens when there's a disagreement with one of us in regards to how we're running IHN on their site?</p>

You can be clear all you want Ton, yet it feels very vague. </p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I also know for a fact that if the boards goes to CCS, most of us will not follow suit and will go to 300 level, or just create a water downed version of IHN

Ton

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BlackhawkPaul" data-cid="210791" data-time="1381770398">
<div>

Is there a contract drawn up?</p>

What's in it for CCS? 

What happens when there's a disagreement with one of us in regards to how we're running IHN on their site?</p>

You can be clear all you want Ton, yet it feels very vague. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

There is no contract, but this is why we are discussing details right now. Because if there were a merge, we would have to have a contract in place to protect our community. Of course, this is why I say lets come up with a list of things we like about IHN, and that will work it's way into the contract. If I propose it to them and they don't like it, then there is no merge. This would have to be an agreement between both sides, where we know what we are getting into, and they know what they are getting into.</p>

</p>

Whats in it for CCS? It's simple: Traffic, more volume, and a great community. But in turn, we receive a place to talk hockey, or not talk hockey... without worrying about any backend work.</p>

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
WTF is CCS..I have no idea what is going on. Forum politics have never been something I bothered about. I say keep the forums running and leave the rest of the site on hiatus until you get all your more important stuff sorted. The forum is already active enough to keep the light on so to speak and the mod crew seems to be working well.

Unless it's a cost issue, then I don't know. I'll get me coat.

R K

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="210792" data-time="1381770542">
<div>

I also know for a fact that if the boards goes to CCS, most of us will not follow suit and will go to 300 level, or just create a water downed version of IHN</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

This is it in a nutshell.  Tony and I discussed this at lenth the other night at the United Center.  CCS wants the traffic, but in reality 90% of us or more will just migrate to the other two message boards most of us our members at already.</p>

</p>

So really, what's in it for CCS since the traffic will just not be there for them?  Do they understand this?  It's not the first time they've tried to do this either.</p>

Ton

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="R K" data-cid="210796" data-time="1381771053">
<div>

This is it in a nutshell.  Tony and I discussed this at lenth the other night at the United Center.  CCS wants the traffic, but in reality 90% of us or more will just migrate to the other two message boards most of us our members at already.</p>

</p>

So really, what's in it for CCS since the traffic will just not be there for them?  Do they understand this?  It's not the first time they've tried to do this either.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Why? This is the answer I'm trying to resolve, yet no one will give me a concrete reason. Give me a list of reasons you come to IHN.</p>

</p>

The first time they tried I said no, because I had the time to donate to running the website. I don't know if that will be possible for another 4 years.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ton,</p>

</p>

*preamble* The work you have done thus far has been awesome. </p>

</p>

With that, the next sentence in print will drip with negative connotation, PLEASE dismiss that...</p>

</p>

When you say "backend work", how much of that is because you are in charge of a web site and you want it to be as awesome and detail rich as possible as a point of pride vs. What us as a community are happy with?</p>

</p>

Personality, I havent really noticed that content hasnt changed much. I like the message board above all. As awesome as the enhancements you have added are, I would guess that the active folks here can live without them.</p>

</p>

I also completely understand wanting to pass on any responsibility here. </p>

</p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ton DeFrancesco" data-cid="210797" data-time="1381771218">
<div>

Give me a list of reasons you come to IHN.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

1. I have met a lot of folks here and have been reading others for years.</p>

2. I can get Hawks and Hockey info from a group of fans that are at least as passionate as I am. </p>

3. A fun spot for me to let my A.D.D. pop at work and look at other subjects and opinions about non-hockey issues. </p>

4. There are no hooks to other crap here. I dont have a faceybook account or a tweeter account or anything else. </p>