Illinois Football Thread

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lovie is still wondering how Rex managed to throw a TD pass to John St Clair back in 2007....

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Lovie is still wondering how Rex managed to throw a TD pass to John St Clair back in 2007....

You mean you didn't put the backup tackle as flexed in as extra blocker as your first TD catch for the team in your voting pool. Can't beat those nonexistent odds

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just to review...Lovie Smith's Illinois football team is 1-4, just lost to Purdue, and their only win is over an FCS team that is currently 1-4.

Since 2013 Purdue is a combined 9-32. They have more wins during that span over FCS teams(4) than Power 5 teams (3).

Where's Parade to talk about attendance and progress?

Last edited:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Just to review...Lovie Smith's Illinois football team is 1-4, just lost to Purdue, and their only win is over an FCS team that is currently 1-4.

Since 2013 Purdue is a combined 9-32. They have more wins during that span over FCS teams(4) than Power 5 teams (3).

Are you holding Rory's dick while you both troll the forums hard today?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Are you holding Rory's dick while you both troll the forums hard today?

Sorry for discussing Lovie Smith's performance as coach of Illinois in the Lovie Smith coach of Illinois thread.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Sorry for discussing Lovie Smith's performance as coach of Illinois in the Lovie Smith coach of Illinois thread.
Your post didn't indicate anything about a discussion. Did you know that Tepper is the last non-interim HC to win a game in the B1G? Yeah. Mac left him something that wasn't a dumpster fire. Anyone with a brain understands it will take time to turn a barge around.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Your post didn't indicate anything about a discussion. .

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You still haven't posted anything worth discussing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You still haven't posted anything worth discussing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would think Smith's tenure getting off to a resounding "thud" would be worth discussing. Apparently not.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I would think Smith's tenure getting off to a resounding "thud" would be worth discussing. Apparently not.
Good job ignoring the history I already posted. This isn't a situation of Harbaugh taking over a bunch of mismanaged 4 stars.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Good job ignoring the history I already posted. This isn't a situation of Harbaugh taking over a bunch of mismanaged 4 stars.

Illinois looks worse than last year. Prior to the year this Purdue game was a game I marked down as an obvious "win" for Illinois. The fact that Illinois lost this game is startling.

Illinois beat Purdue on the road last year 48-14 and just lost at home to them this season. I didn't expect Smith to "turn things around" in one season but losing at home to a team that Illinois beat by five touchdowns last year on the road isn't even holding serve, let alone progress. It's regression.

Did you expect Illinois to win this game?

What progress has Smith made so far?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Illinois looks worse than last year. Prior to the year this Purdue game was a game I marked down as an obvious "win" for Illinois. The fact that Illinois lost this game is startling.

Illinois beat Purdue on the road last year 48-14 and just lost at home to them this season. I didn't expect Smith to "turn things around" in one season but losing at home to a team that Illinois beat by five touchdowns last year on the road isn't even holding serve, let alone progress. It's regression.
Wrong. Purdue offense is pretty good. Illinois offense improved once Lunt was replaced with Crouch. I didn't have anything other than being competitive in B1G games marked on my schedule. So far, they have been.

Did you expect Illinois to win this game?
When the kicker was lined up with time expiring? Yes.

What progress has Smith made so far?
1. Already gotten in-state recruits and raised the level that you claimed he wouldn't get
2. Figuring out the mostly MAC level personnel they do have to work with and making changes in depth chart
3. McGee is improving calling games each game. He certainly got much better with a mobile QB (Crouch) as the game went on.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Purdue offense is pretty good.
Purdue's offensive output prior to Illinois vs FBS opp:
7 points vs Maryland
24 vs Nevada
20 vs Cincy

That's 17 PPG vs FBS opp.

They are 88th in the NCAA overall in scoring offense..behind Illinois.

54th in YPG

And this is AFTER the Illinois game where they improved those numbers/averages.

Purdue didn't even have it's best player on Saturday on offense.

Prior to the game or season did you expect Illinois to beat Purdue?

1. Already gotten in-state recruits and raised the level that you claimed he wouldn't get
Huh? What ones? Recruiting has received a bit of a bump nothing nothing spectacular or even meaningful and it's currently October 10th. Losses like this keep mounting..how many stick around?

What in state kids did I say Smith wouldn't get? I lambasted you for saying Smith could recruit places like Florida, Texas, etc.

2. Figuring out the mostly MAC level personnel they do have to work with and making changes in depth chart
That's not progress....That's clerical work...on top of that the "MAC level talent" beat Purdue by five TD's last year...Smith just lost to them Saturday

3. McGee is improving calling games each game. He certainly got much better with a mobile QB (Crouch) as the game went on.
1. Seems McGee isn't the guy you thought he was eh...............

2. Smith has already said Lunt is the starter.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Just as a note: If you look at the Rivals Rankings, Illinois only has one in-state commit in the top 10. The #2 in-state recruit shows having medium interest in Illinois, and the #10 in-state recruit has verbally committed to MSU.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Just as a note: If you look at the Rivals Rankings, Illinois only has one in-state commit in the top 10. The #2 in-state recruit shows having medium interest in Illinois, and the #10 in-state recruit has verbally committed to MSU.
2 points in regards to my post:

1. I simply do not know if any of these guys were signed pre-Lovie.

2. I used Rivals rankings because they were the easiest to find.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I'm seriously curious of Parade's angle here. Even a place like Illinois Loyalty..a homer's paradise..... is a morgue. Smith has done ok recruiting early on, but a bump was to be expected post -Beckman. Carmoni Green is a nice get from Miami, FL but other than it's a pretty non-descript class. Barely any guys in the Top 50 of their position groups etc.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
2 points in regards to my post:

1. I simply do not know if any of these guys were signed pre-Lovie.

2. I used Rivals rankings because they were the easiest to find.

FWIW, I prefer Scout.