Illinois Football Thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
None of those has anything to do with Smith being a complete "blah" and bland hire when there are better coaches available at the college level.

Name some.

Please limit the list to those who could reasonably be expected to take the Illini job.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know how good a recruiter he can be, or how good a recruiter he will hire. That remains to be seen.

But I do know he at least has credibility, and is well known and well respected. That is a far cry from our recent coaches. Even Zook, who was positive and a good recruiter, has a bad reputation, and was targeted by opponents as "shady". That won't be an issue now.

I will go out on a limb and just predict that Lovie will get some kids that wouldn't give Beckman the time of day.

Let's face it. Even die hard Illini fans would have to think twice about allowing their kid to play for Beckman.

As opposed to, say...Tim Beckman and Bill Cubit.

Again, I'm not saying Smith isn't an improvement over Cubit. I'm evaluating it in general terms of what I felt Illinois should do(ie, hire a coach with actual recent college experience) I get that this might be a short term credibility hire of sorts and I think you could make the argument that it's what the university needs but I think they could have done that and gotten an actual proven college HC.

Name some.

Please limit the list to those who could reasonably be expected to take the Illini job.

I would have liked to see Fleck get a serious look.

Guys like Rod Carey at NIU, Spack from Ill.SU, Bo Pelini, Ed Warriner, Willie Taggert

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Again, I'm not saying Smith isn't an improvement over Cubit. I'm evaluating it in general terms of what I felt Illinois should do(ie, hire a coach with actual recent college experience) I get that this might be a short term credibility hire of sorts and I think you could make the argument that it's what the university needs but I think they could have done that and gotten an actual proven college HC.

I would have liked to see Fleck get a serious look.

Guys like Rod Carey at NIU, Spack from Ill.SU, Bo Pelini, Ed Warriner, Willie Taggert
Bo Pelini? The guy was canned from a football factory. What sitting, successful college coach is going to leave in March and assemble a quality staff? Taggart would certainly be on my list, but not in March. Fleck? Row the Boat? He is certainly out-recruiting other MAC coaches right now, but it's a lot different out-recruiting quality B1G programs.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
First, the fact that people find this a positive move does not mean they think we will win multiple national championships.

But it DOES mean we now think the Administration actually gives a rat's ass..
The Administration gets it. HOw many times did Whitman mention that in the press conference today? It's refreshing. The interim Chancellor has done a good job with this. Killeen and the BOT are on board, too. It's been a long time since that has occurred.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bo Pelini? The guy was canned from a football factory.
]
1. His firing wasn't really justified. He's a good coach. Not sure how Pelini getting fired after going 9-3 is worse than Illinois hiring Smith after Smith got fired by one of the worst teams in Pro Football.....

You're just looking to defend this hire mo matter what. Fine.

2. I've covered this before but Pelini is one of the type of guys Illinois needs (reclamation project etc) Pelini is a proven winner at the college level.
what sitting, successful college coach is going to leave in March and assemble a quality staff?
One that is going to have $4 million to play with....

Taggart would certainly be on my list, but not in March.
March is irrelevant if this is truly a long term move for the program. 2016 recruiting has already essentially been punted anyways.

Fleck? Row the Boat? He is certainly out-recruiting other MAC coaches right now, but it's a lot different out-recruiting quality B1G programs.
LOL yeah and Illinois just hired a guy that hasn't recruited since 1995. What proven recruiting chops does Lovie Smith walk in the door with? Can Smith even recruit? Will he "play the game"?

I love this idea that you're already assuming Smith can recruit at the college level with zero actual basis for it. Could he end up being a good recruiter? Sure. But as of this moment he has zero track record doing it. None. So you dismissing a guy like Fleck based on some fear of his ability to recruit in the B1G is hilariously ironic

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
Average coach goes to below average football program. Meh...

Hopefully our tax dollars won't be paying his salary.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Didn't someone mention in another thread that a college coach would choose Illinois over Tennessee?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't someone mention in another thread that a college coach would choose Illinois over Tennessee?

I said a college coach wouldn't choose Illinois over Tennessee. How is that applicable here?

Did Smith turn down the Tennessee job?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
]
1. His firing wasn't really justified. He's a good coach. Not sure how Pelini getting fired after going 9-3 is worse than Illinois hiring Smith after Smith got fired by one of the worst teams in Pro Football.....

You're just looking to defend this hire mo matter what. Fine.

2. I've covered this before but Pelini is one of the type of guys Illinois needs (reclamation project etc) Pelini is a proven winner at the college level.

One that is going to have $4 million to play with....

March is irrelevant if this is truly a long term move for the program. 2016 recruiting has already essentially been punted anyways.

LOL yeah and Illinois just hired a guy that hasn't recruited since 1995. What proven recruiting chops does Lovie Smith walk in the door with? Can Smith even recruit? Will he "play the game"?

I love this idea that you're already assuming Smith can recruit at the college level with zero actual basis for it. Could he end up being a good recruiter? Sure. But as of this moment he has zero track record doing it. None. So you dismissing a guy like Fleck based on some fear of his ability to recruit in the B1G is hilariously ironic
LOL. You've even made the claim that Smith isn't a household name nationally and in the same post jerk off to an assistant coach being a big name hire. Al Gore had not invented the internet when Alvarez was named the HC at Wisky. Let's put that in proper perspective to Lovie Smith who has now had free mention on ESPN (national program). Herm Edwards (national show) says parents should have their kids call Lovie at UI. Mike & Mike love the hire. Wait. That's on ESPN2. When did they go regional? Whoops! That's national. Greeny is even a Northwestern grad and loves the hire. There is only one living room in America where Smith is perhaps not welcome and that would be yours. Congratulations on finding one article that thinks the hire wasn't a good one. Enjoy the tiny, narrow world you live in.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL. You've even made the claim that Smith isn't a household name nationally
In terms of college football....he isn't.

In terms of college football...Alvarez was, considering as one of the main recruiters for Notre Dame he was literally in all the important households.

Al Gore had not invented the internet when Alvarez was named the HC at Wisky.
And Bill Clinton hadn't yet gotten blown by Monica when Lovie was last in the college ranks.........

Let's put that in proper perspective to Lovie Smith who has now had free mention on ESPN (national program).
LOLOLOL. So your rationalization is that Lovie Smith was a good hire because ESPN mentioned him being hired........Call me crazy but Illinois could have hired anyone and gotten it mentioned. You don't think Illinois hiring Bo Pelini would have gotten mentioned?

Jesus, you have to be trolling with this shit or have the lowest and most illogical standards for a hire in the history of the world.

Herm Edwards (national show) says parents should have their kids call Lovie at UI. Mike & Mike love the hire. Wait. That's on ESPN2. When did they go regional? Whoops! That's national. Greeny is even a Northwestern grad and loves the hire. There is only one living room in America where Smith is perhaps not welcome and that would be yours. Congratulations on finding one article that thinks the hire wasn't a good one. Enjoy the tiny, narrow world you live in.
So Herm Edwards(no connection to CFB) and MIKE AND MIKE(no connection to CFB) like the hire and that makes it good?

Still waiting on this proof of yours showing Smith to be a good recruiter.....

Oh and the Staples article I quoted actually liked the hire in a certain sense. I mentioned that. You're so deluded about Illinois it's hilarious. A few years ago you were in here defending Groce and now you're circling the wagons around Lovie Smith based around some ESPN personalities covering the hire.

Liked Posts:
Lovie Smith is a dope!

and a bozo. Does he honestly think he'll be able to compete and recruit with the likes of Meyer and Harbaugh? Also not only does he break seasons down into quarters, he does that with his career as well. On Mike and Mike this morning he said he's into the 3rd quarter of his coaching career.

What an absolute delight!

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
and a bozo. Does he honestly think he'll be able to compete and recruit with the likes of Meyer and Harbaugh? Also not only does he break seasons down into quarters, he does that with his career as well. On Mike and Mike this morning he said he's into the 3rd quarter of his coaching career.

What an absolute delight!

Yea. That bozo. Accepting a 3.5 million dollar a year job. What a dope!