CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
In terms of college football....he isn't.

In terms of college football...Alvarez was, considering as one of the main recruiters for Notre Dame he was literally in all the important households.

And Bill Clinton hadn't yet gotten blown by Monica when Lovie was last in the college ranks.........

LOLOLOL. So your rationalization is that Lovie Smith was a good hire because ESPN mentioned him being hired........Call me crazy but Illinois could have hired anyone and gotten it mentioned. You don't think Illinois hiring Bo Pelini would have gotten mentioned?

Jesus, you have to be trolling with this shit or have the lowest and most illogical standards for a hire in the history of the world.

So Herm Edwards(no connection to CFB) and MIKE AND MIKE(no connection to CFB) like the hire and that makes it good?

Still waiting on this proof of yours showing Smith to be a good recruiter.....

Oh and the Staples article I quoted actually liked the hire in a certain sense. I mentioned that. You're so deluded about Illinois it's hilarious. A few years ago you were in here defending Groce and now you're circling the wagons around Lovie Smith based around some ESPN personalities covering the hire.
More laughs. Name recognition matters. A few years ago I was defending Groce, because he hadn't had any time to recruit and like Weber he did a good job with the previous coach's players. You don't fire a basketball coach after 2 years. You're just a whining because they didn't choose who you think they should have been looking at. PJ Fleck could fall flat on his face outside of the MAC. You also want Illinois to consider a coach (Peilini) who said "fuck you" to the fans. In case you haven't seen the attendance at MS or SFC, the last thing IL needs to hire is a coach that alienates fans.

:turrible:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I said a college coach wouldn't choose Illinois over Tennessee. How is that applicable here?

Did Smith turn down the Tennessee job?

No, I thought someone else suggested that. Illinois football fans are so hopeless after the last 8 years

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Adam Rittenberg ESPN Staff Writer
Illinois is hiring Louisville's Garrick McGee as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, a source told ESPN. McGee held the same title at Louisville the past two seasons. Although the move is lateral in title, it gives McGee the chance to operate his own offense under a defensive-minded head coach. New Illini coach Lovie Smith helped recruit McGee to Arizona State as a quarterback when Smith was an ASU assistant in the early 1990s. McGee has experience both in the league and in the state after serving as Northwestern's offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach from 2006-07. It will be interesting to see how Bobby Petrino replaces McGee at such a late date, but Petrino's own ability to to call and operate the offense is a big plus.

Now, this is a fantastic hire. Great recruiter. Also what Rittenberg doesn't say is that McGee eventually transferred and graduated from Oklahoma. Stoops/OK tried to lure McGee away last season and couldn't do it. Lovie just got a job done that Stoops couldn't. I guess Lovie has been out of the college game too long. Whoops!

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
^

I was really hoping to hear 'Rex is our quarterback coach.'
McGee really helped Mallet at Arkansas from what I understand, so my guess is you may hear "Wes Lunt is our quarterback, and we'll go from there." :D

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Hardy Nickerson is going to be the DC. Incredible 180 for UI football.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
More laughs. Name recognition matters. A few years ago I was defending Groce, because he hadn't had any time to recruit and like Weber he did a good job with the previous coach's players. You don't fire a basketball coach after 2 years. You're just a whining because they didn't choose who you think they should have been looking at. PJ Fleck could fall flat on his face outside of the MAC. You also want Illinois to consider a coach (Peilini) who said "fuck you" to the fans. In case you haven't seen the attendance at MS or SFC, the last thing IL needs to hire is a coach that alienates fans.

:turrible:
Yeah, the fans deserved it. Nebraska fans were idiots.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now, this is a fantastic hire. Great recruiter. Also what Rittenberg doesn't say is that McGee eventually transferred and graduated from Oklahoma. Stoops/OK tried to lure McGee away last season and couldn't do it. Lovie just got a job done that Stoops couldn't. I guess Lovie has been out of the college game too long. Whoops!

LOL nice attempted spin here. Louisville threw a bunch of money at McGee to stay at Louisville. He got a raise that paid him more than OU would have given him. He stayed for the money...and I'd bet he followed the dollar signs along with the Smith connection to Illinois as well.

Keep sippin that Kool Aid bruh.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
LOL nice attempted spin here. Louisville threw a bunch of money at McGee to stay at Louisville. He got a raise that paid him more than OU would have given him. He stayed for the money...and I'd bet he followed the dollar signs along with the Smith connection to Illinois as well.

Keep sippin that Kool Aid bruh.
What he followed was that Lovie will likely let him run the offense, as opposed to Petrino, who probably had his hands in that side of the ball regularly. He just took one of the most coveted offensive coordinators/recruiters in the college game and you made excuses.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It begins tomorrow. Ticket sales are up and people in the area are excited. 2;30 game on Big Ten Network if anybody cares.

Illinois football.

ku-xlarge.jpg

:aj:

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It begins tomorrow. Ticket sales are up and people in the area are excited. 2;30 game on Big Ten Network if anybody cares.

Are you a mod for the Illini football IGT? The students probably just go along with it when you lock their threads.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Got great season tix and a decent tailgating lot. Looking forward to the improvement this program will see over the next few years.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Got great season tix and a decent tailgating lot. Looking forward to the improvement this program will see over the next few years.

Should be interesting to see how Lovies defensive philosophy translates at the college level, he does have some decent talent there. The front 4 for the D is a legitimate strength with Smoot projected as a 1st rnd pick in the 2017 draft. I hope he is successful.