Is Amos a Starter?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Heard Greg G on the radio say the other day he thought Amos was more of a really good backup than a starter. I personally think he played well this year and would be fine with him as a starter going into next year. Thoughts?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Heard Greg G on the radio say the other day he thought Amos was more of a really good backup than a starter. I personally think he played well this year and would be fine with him as a starter going into next year. Thoughts?

He's nothing flashy. But he is a starter now, as he has developed into one especially after moving him to his true position of SS.
Doesn't make many big plays but doesn't give up any--Bears should try to get a competition at SS spot next year but it isn't a priority.
Too many other fish to fry right now with OL, WR, OLB, CB as bigger problem spots.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Starter.............Amos has always been around the ball, and been a very good tackler. After being moved to SS he is at his natural pro position and is more consistent actually making more plays on the ball.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Starter.............Amos has always been around the ball, and been a very good tackler. After being moved to SS he is at his natural pro position and is more consistent actually making more plays on the ball.

Not to mention, he is flat out laying the wood on people back there, he straight up Fencik'ed Cole Beasley last year. I thought the white boi was dead on SNF.
There are probably a few Vikings players feeling sore today.

billwade

Liked Posts:

I put Amos in the same category as Kwiatoski. If they've reached their ceiling, both are good journeyman backups. However, Amos improved dramatically this season. he went from being awful to being serviceable. So the question becomes whether he continues to improve. If he improves 50% of how much he improved this season, he's clearly a legitimate starter.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not to mention, he is flat out laying the wood on people back there, he straight up Fencik'ed Cole Beasley last year. I thought the white boi was dead on SNF.
There are probably a few Vikings players feeling sore today.

Watching Amos during that game was one of the few enjoyable things about that game. Anyone who says the Bears quit wasn't watching him.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I'd consider him to be a marginal starter. He's a very solid tackler and a hard hitter but he is not good in the passing game. In our division alone, only Wilson from Det had less passes defended as a safety. One INT (a tipped ball) in 3 seasons is no Bueno.

He's the least of our worries at this time.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
i think he was the #2 rated safety by PFF behind only harrison smith this year.

him and eddie jackson make a pretty competent duo and i’d be ok penciling them in as week 1 starters.

not even sure a late round flyer is necessary for safety because we still havent seen what deiondre hall or deon bush can do.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
A dominant defensive line probably elevates his play even more. Unfortunately, Pace blew the 3 4th round picks at DB in 2016 so more draft capital will have to be spent there

Washington

Liked Posts:
i think he was the #2 rated safety by PFF behind only harrison smith this year.

Just using our division alone taking the 8 starting safeties, going into this week, only Wilson from Det had less tackles than Amos and less PDs than Amos. Only Burnett and Wilson had less or as many INTs. Wilson did have 2 sacks where Amos had 0. Amos' 2 FFs were 2nd in our division to Quinn who had 3 with twice as many PDs as Amos and 20 more tackles. Quinn also had 3 INTs to Amos' 1 INT.

Another example, Sendejo had 75T to Amos' 58T. 2INTs to 1 INT. 6 PDs to 3 PDs.

I don't see how Amos could be rated 2nd in the entire NFL when he clearly was not even in the top half statistically in our own division.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He's nothing flashy. But he is a starter now, as he has developed into one especially after moving him to his true position of SS.
Doesn't make many big plays but doesn't give up any--Bears should try to get a competition at SS spot next year but it isn't a priority.
Too many other fish to fry right now with OL, WR, OLB, CB as bigger problem spots.

Yeah i agree, with all the other work that needs to be done we should just give that starting job to A.Amos and fix the other needs that are much more important to this team.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Amos is solid starter at SS. Good tackler and ok in coverage, the move to SS really helped him out. I like 38 coming downhill and laying wood. As the team improves so will he. Top 5 - 8 in league.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Just using our division alone taking the 8 starting safeties, going into this week, only Wilson from Det had less tackles than Amos and less PDs than Amos. Only Burnett and Wilson had less or as many INTs. Wilson did have 2 sacks where Amos had 0. Amos' 2 FFs were 2nd in our division to Quinn who had 3 with twice as many PDs as Amos and 20 more tackles. Quinn also had 3 INTs to Amos' 1 INT.

Another example, Sendejo had 75T to Amos' 58T. 2INTs to 1 INT. 6 PDs to 3 PDs.

I don't see how Amos could be rated 2nd in the entire NFL when he clearly was not even in the top half statistically in our own division.

Amos also didn't play the first 3 games cause Demps was the starter for those games.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Solid player but not a playmaker. Jackson is a playmaker