Is Amos a Starter?

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Just using our division alone taking the 8 starting safeties, going into this week, only Wilson from Det had less tackles than Amos and less PDs than Amos. Only Burnett and Wilson had less or as many INTs. Wilson did have 2 sacks where Amos had 0. Amos' 2 FFs were 2nd in our division to Quinn who had 3 with twice as many PDs as Amos and 20 more tackles. Quinn also had 3 INTs to Amos' 1 INT.

Another example, Sendejo had 75T to Amos' 58T. 2INTs to 1 INT. 6 PDs to 3 PDs.

I don't see how Amos could be rated 2nd in the entire NFL when he clearly was not even in the top half statistically in our own division.
You do know amos didnt play in 6 games right ?

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
Is Nick Kwiatowski a starter?
i would say yes

he seemed to be the heir apparent to freeman and played the best out of jones, timu, and anderson.

but i would say that a trevathan/roquan duo would be pretty nasty

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
he is the only Bear with a 90 overall rating on Madden

NFCnB

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Amos has graded as 2nd best safety in the league this season. How is that a backup? He is a solid starter and along with Jackson, we are good at safety, for the next decade

RochBear

Liked Posts:
I'd consider him to be a marginal starter. He's a very solid tackler and a hard hitter but he is not good in the passing game. In our division alone, only Wilson from Det had less passes defended as a safety. One INT (a tipped ball) in 3 seasons is no Bueno.

He's the least of our worries at this time.
I'm with Mr. Morrison on this one. His coverage skills seem at best okay. He does hit though and that's fun. Anybody know the story on Demps over the last few games after he was declared eligible to return? If the coaches thought Amos was better than Demps, that would be interesting. Coaches get a lot of grief on message boards but they know so vastly much more than I do.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Is Nick Kwiatowski a starter?

I think he's a nickel LB. Good blitzer, has potential in coverage but needs more experience there. But nickel LB for a guy picked in the mid-4th round is fine. But it's also why I'd either bring back Christian Jones or not be so quick to cut Freeman.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
am i watching football wrong? why are people so hot and cold and amos?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
i would say yes

he seemed to be the heir apparent to freeman and played the best out of jones, timu, and anderson.

but i would say that a trevathan/roquan duo would be pretty nasty
Agree, surprisingly over the course of the season I saw Kwiat making some really good plays as a starter. He’s more than a placeholder imo.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He’s like D. Manning. He took such a long time to develop that people think he’ll revert to sucking again.

I think he should be kept moving forward.

He's never really been bad. He's been average to below average, but never been a complete disaster. He was above average this year, but still didn't have the turnover numbers to show for it. But I think his performance in coverage shows up more in what was NOT done vs. the Bears. The Bears didn't give up a ton to TEs like they did in years past.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Amos & Kwat are developing players. Amos is farther along that Kwat. Amos is solid as hell. Whether or not he gets turn overs or not I feel comfortable when he's on the field that he's isn't gonna let shit blow up. And he makes nice SS hits. Kwat is still a liability but has made enough of an improvement this year that you keep watching and see if he keeps taking steps forward.

fatkid73

Liked Posts:
I think Amos is a solid defender. He currently lacks the instincts in the passing game that create interceptions and pass breakups. That said, it was his first year playing SS and that seems to me that will be something where he will gain more confidence with coaching and playing time. If he continues to play, I expect the turnovers will come. He may never be Ed Reed, but I think he will get better. All that said, currently, there are way more pressing needs. If he does not continue to get better over the next couple of years I would have no problem bringing in some additional competition.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I put Amos in the same category as Kwiatoski. If they've reached their ceiling, both are good journeyman backups. However, Amos improved dramatically this season. he went from being awful to being serviceable. So the question becomes whether he continues to improve. If he improves 50% of how much he improved this season, he's clearly a legitimate starter.

That is a joke of a statement. Kwiatkowski hasn't even come close to grading anywhere near as high as Amos has against his NFL peers. Ever. Amos was also rarely if ever awful.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just using our division alone taking the 8 starting safeties, going into this week, only Wilson from Det had less tackles than Amos and less PDs than Amos. Only Burnett and Wilson had less or as many INTs. Wilson did have 2 sacks where Amos had 0. Amos' 2 FFs were 2nd in our division to Quinn who had 3 with twice as many PDs as Amos and 20 more tackles. Quinn also had 3 INTs to Amos' 1 INT.

Another example, Sendejo had 75T to Amos' 58T. 2INTs to 1 INT. 6 PDs to 3 PDs.

I don't see how Amos could be rated 2nd in the entire NFL when he clearly was not even in the top half statistically in our own division.

A classic case of the skin deep stat viewer. You do realize Amos played in 13 games dressed 13 games and played in 10 games this season right? Apparently not because you're trying to make it sound like he had less production while comparing him to others. Ironically you also name drop Morgan Burnett while leaving out he played 12 games this season and Tavon Wilson which played 10 games.

Furthermore you go on to talk about Andrew Sendejo who also played 13 games while apparently not taking into account he is a 6 year starter at safety and 8th year NFL pro who just so happens to be on one of the best defenses in the NFL. Taking those things into account, I am not particularly impressed by his 2 interceptions on the season nor the 6 interceptions he has for his career. He has 75 tackles though, cool story bro. Safeties are judged and graded by the job they do on the tackles they are asked and tasked to make not the number of tackles they rack up. If you want to judge Amos based on a lack of interceptions then so be it. I can't tell you what to think.

I'll just leave this here and drop the mic:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2017-pff-nfl-all-pro-team

Adrian Amos

PFF Grade: 92.0 (Elite)

Elite Stat: Among safeties with 30-plus targets in 2017, Amos tied for fourth in yards allowed per snap in coverage (0.47).

Chicago’s Adrian Amos is seen by many as just another guy, but his ability to simply make the plays you expect a safety to make is not to be underestimated. Safeties by their nature are almost contingency players, coming downhill to add to run fits and adding coverage help on the back end to shore up the cornerbacks. Amos notched 26 defensive stops, just two fewer than (Harrison) Smith managed on almost 300 fewer snaps. He may not make as many splash plays as other players at the position, but he makes all the expected plays without making mistakes.

Last edited:

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Amos has graded as 2nd best safety in the league this season. How is that a backup? He is a solid starter and along with Jackson, we are good at safety, for the next decade

by pff....

Rodgers completed 24-of-35 passes for 333 yards and five touchdown passes against zero interceptions, good for a 138.5 passer rating. But PFF, which grades every player’s performance on every play according to its more nuanced model, saw it differently. Take a look at how Rodgers, who graded a negative 0.8 for the game, stacked up against other QBs in Week 3:

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saw the best combined safety play in a long time this past year .... Maybe that's like the tallest midget to the whinging crowd, but it was refreshing nonetheless.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
by pff....

Rodgers completed 24-of-35 passes for 333 yards and five touchdown passes against zero interceptions, good for a 138.5 passer rating. But PFF, which grades every player’s performance on every play according to its more nuanced model, saw it differently. Take a look at how Rodgers, who graded a negative 0.8 for the game, stacked up against other QBs in Week 3:

Oh for the love of god. Anyone who take a single source as an end all be all or a single stat as an end all be all to judge a player's performance is a moron. Plain and simple. You look at the whole picture to make a judgement.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
A classic case of the skin deep stat viewer. You do realize Amos played in 13 games this season right? Apparently not because you're trying to make it sound like he had less production while comparing him to others. Ironically you also name drop Morgan Burnett while leaving out he played 12 games this season and Tavon Wilson which played 10 games.

Furthermore you go on to talk about Andrew Sendejo who also played 13 games while apparently not taking into account he is a 6 year starter at safety and 8th year NFL pro who just so happens to be on one of the best defenses in the NFL. Taking those things into account, I am not particularly impressed by his 2 interceptions on the season nor the 6 interceptions he has for his career. He has 75 tackles though, cool story bro. Safeties are judged and graded by the job they do on the tackles they are asked and tasked to make not the number of tackles they rack up. If you want to judge Amos based on a lack of interceptions then so be it. I can't tell you what to think.

I'll just leave this here and drop the mic:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2017-pff-nfl-all-pro-team

Adrian Amos

PFF Grade: 92.0 (Elite)

Elite Stat: Among safeties with 30-plus targets in 2017, Amos tied for fourth in yards allowed per snap in coverage (0.47).

Chicago’s Adrian Amos is seen by many as just another guy, but his ability to simply make the plays you expect a safety to make is not to be underestimated. Safeties by their nature are almost contingency players, coming downhill to add to run fits and adding coverage help on the back end to shore up the cornerbacks. Amos notched 26 defensive stops, just two fewer than (Harrison) Smith managed on almost 300 fewer snaps. He may not make as many splash plays as other players at the position, but he makes all the expected plays without making mistakes.

He didnt play safety for 6 games fyi...

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You do know amos didnt play in 6 games right ?

I think people are literally missing this in the stats and in this thread but I wanted to thank you for making I clear twice, once on each page, in such a simple and professional way, wazzupi, and I hope people will re-think their thoughts based upon this revised understanding of the statistics they were misunderstanding.

Thanks again.