Is Jay Cutler salary cap hit, the problem everyone proclaims it to be?

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
Here is how his salary cap stacks up against the other QB's.

Cutler 2016 salary cap hit currently places him at #16th overall

Cutler 2017 salary cap hit currently places him at #20th overall

Cutler 2018 salary cap hit currently places him at #16th overall.

These numbers assume that no other QB is signed to a big contract in the next 3 years.

Going by these numbers I can see why so many people constantly whine about Cutler's ridiculous contract being so detrimental to the team moving forward after the season is over.

:yep:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's team cap related and how many thought it would fall when signed and you can expect him to be closer to 20 by 2018. The issue is whether he's playing any better than what can be had for $10m less and you can always find examples of comparable for less. Of course it's always one or 2 guys that may crash at some point and the others at that price don't get to play because they suck and there's a big guaranteed portion next year so there's mo savings anyway. More misses than hits but if you don't like Jay, the exception becomes the rule. His deal is not killing our opportunity to get other players and we'll have tons of cap space next year. Won't do us much good without a QB. We should always be trying to improve every position especially QB but the last thing you want is gaps of capability at that spot.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
It's team cap related and how many thought it would fall when signed and you can expect him to be closer to 20 by 2018. The issue is whether he's playing any better than what can be had for $10m less and you can always find examples of comparable for less. Of course it's always one or 2 guys that may crash at some point and the others at that price don't get to play because they suck. More misses than hits but if you don't like Jay, the exception becomes the rule. His deal is not killing our opportunity to get other players and we'll have tons of cap space next year. Won't do us much good without a QB. We should always be trying to improve every position especially QB but the last thing you want is gaps of capability at that spot.

I agree with what you said here. The problem is that so many equate Cutler contract with being an anchor that is keeping the ship from moving in the direction the team needs to head in. When in fact his salary isn't remotely close to the problem it's portrayed to be.

It does get old seeing people use the salary as an excuse to dump Cutler from the team. When in reality his salary is actually quite team friendly heading into the next few years.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Tony Romo never won anything and I'm quite certain he got way more money. I think silly Jerry Jones moves like that helped dictate the massive salaries of QBs in general. I could also have the timetable completely backwards too. anyone that cares to know will look it up anyway.

speaking of Tony Romo, how can people yearn for him when he's had like zero playoff success and shit all over Cutler for the same exact thing? "he beat a 7-9 team" that's great, that 7-9 team knocked off the Saints that were defending Super Bowl champions... can we move beyond records and hypocrisy now?

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
Tony Romo never won anything and I'm quite certain he got way more money. I think silly Jerry Jones moves like that helped dictate the massive salaries of QBs in general. I could also have the timetable completely backwards too. anyone that cares to know will look it up anyway.

speaking of Tony Romo, how can people yearn for him when he's had like zero playoff success and shit all over Cutler for the same exact thing? "he beat a 7-9 team" that's great, that 7-9 team knocked off the Saints that were defending Super Bowl champions... can we move beyond records and hypocrisy now?

Being rational doesn't tend to be the hate club's strong suit.

While on the other hand, being hypocritical seems to be in their DNA.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While I get the true Cutler situation and know we can't have Romo, I'd clearly prefer him and thought he was underrated for years. You guys are barking up the wrong tree by hating on someone that's better than Jay. He's won 2 playoff games and had a rating of over 120 in last year's playoffs with 4 TDs and no INTs. His 144 rating is not why they lost to GB.

mecha

Liked Posts:
they yearn for Russell Wilson. Jay Cutler's doing Russell Wilson better than Russell Wilson. Jay Cutler at least doesn't require Matt Forte to function in his role.

people wanted Colin Kaepernick too. he just got benched. he's like Tim Tebow lite. if you hated Tebow but wanted Kaepernick, that's silly, cause the only thing they can do effectively is run. Kaepernick gets the edge as a passer, he can throw the ball too somewhat, but for whatever reason after stepping in the middle of the 2012 season he's been exposed ever since.

Andrew Luck is another one. pronounced as some elite talent. why? because he's the only pure pocket passer to be drafted within the last like 5 years? he's getting destroyed.

Aaron Rodgers, he's the greatest ever. puts up 77 yards on the Broncos. I strongly doubt Favre would've ever laid down like that.

Tony Romo's a great talent. the reality is it's a team game. he just happened to be the bright spot in a puddle of shit.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Romo is vastly superior to Cutler. Unfortunately for him, he's known more for some of his famous follies, w/that Jerry Jones circus, than his consistent high level of play.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
they yearn for Russell Wilson. Jay Cutler's doing Russell Wilson better than Russell Wilson. Jay Cutler at least doesn't require Matt Forte to function in his role.

people wanted Colin Kaepernick too. he just got benched. he's like Tim Tebow lite. if you hated Tebow but wanted Kaepernick, that's silly, cause the only thing they can do effectively is run. Kaepernick gets the edge as a passer, he can throw the ball too somewhat, but for whatever reason after stepping in the middle of the 2012 season he's been exposed ever since.

Andrew Luck is another one. pronounced as some elite talent. why? because he's the only pure pocket passer to be drafted within the last like 5 years? he's getting destroyed.

Aaron Rodgers, he's the greatest ever. puts up 77 yards on the Broncos. I strongly doubt Favre would've ever laid down like that.

Tony Romo's a great talent. the reality is it's a team game. he just happened to be the bright spot in a puddle of shit.
Russell immediately took his team to the SB twice and won one. Cutler hasn't been to the playoffs but 1 time in , what's soon to be, 10 years. Even Kaepernick got further than Cutler ever did in just his first 2 years of starting. Romo, Rodgers and Luck have all proven beyond any doubt, they are way better than Cutler. Please shut up.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:

I highlighted the part I'm always trying to get across to most football fans. It's part of why I love this game so much. It's a team sport and it takes more than just physical talent to get it done. The coaching is a huge factor in football and no single player can turn a dumpster fire into a Super Bowl caliber team.

Not even Walter Payton could make his team a playoff contender until he was surrounded with pro-bowlers left and right.

I wonder if we would even know Steve Young's name had he been stuck in Tampa Bay & if we did would it be a name we mocked as one of the many QB's to be busts in the NFL. Meanwhile he was being considered as possibly being the GOAT during his SF run.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
Russell immediately took his team to the SB twice and won one. Cutler hasn't been to the playoffs but 1 time in , what's soon to be, 10 years. Even Kaepernick got further than Cutler ever did in just his first 2 years of starting. Romo, Rodgers and Luck have all proven beyond any doubt, they are way better than Cutler. Please shut up.

Russell Wilson sucks this year. If he was drafted by the Jaguars he would be a has been by now. Only the craziest of the crazies would be pining for Wilson.

Rodgers is a stud IMO but he too needs people around him. It's not like he is surrounded by a bunch of scrubs and carrying the team on his back without any help. Notice what happened last night when his team played bad?

mecha

Liked Posts:
Philip Rivers has played consistent for many many years and he's had to play on some horrible Charger teams. I'll cite Romo again too, he's a stud. even in Rodgers' era the Packers had a couple of down years I think. I'm just throwing out some great QBs names here and showing that despite their play, those teams had some awful years. Favre had a string of down years before exploding in 2007 and having I think an even better year in 2009 with the Vikings; people were calling him done in like 2004.

most teams that make the playoffs that have shit defenses don't normally make the cut. there's exceptions, the Patriots/Giants 2nd super bowl I think they were ranked 32 and 31 in total defense. if your defense isn't up to snuff, you're probably not going far, unless you have genius coaching like Belichick or Coughlin. there's teams that have terrible offensive lines; there's quarterbacks that are mobile enough to work around that. Roethlisberger comes to mind; even he's played on some awful teams. there's quarterbacks that can work around total no-name receivers like Tom Brady or in the case of Peyton Manning, take the scrubs and make them into stars (Colts Manning)

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Russell Wilson sucks this year. If he was drafted by the Jaguars he would be a has been now. Only the craziest of the crazies would be pining for Wilson.

Rodgers is a stud IMO but he too needs people around him. It's not like is surrounded by a bunch of scrubs and carrying the team on his back without any help. Notice what happened last night when his team played bad?
He has a history of winning and has put up the kind of numbers Cutler can only dream of. Don't know why Cutty fanboys here are always down on him. He's a humble guy who only wants to help his team win and they've done that with him. His QB rating still stays at 95 and above yet fans here will say Cutler is playing great and Wilson is playing real bad. Go figure.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
He has a history of winning and has put up the kind of numbers Cutler can only dream of. Don't know why Cutty fanboys here are always down on him. He's a humble guy who only wants to help his team win and they've done that with him. His QB rating still stays at 95 and above yet fans here will say Cutler is playing great and Wilson is playing real bad. Go figure.

Right, because Seattle wins due to mostly because of Wilson play and the Bears lose mostly due to Cutler's play.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
You're right guys, cutler has only been to the playoffs 1 time.

Forte has only been once. Same with Kyle long. Think it's Ike to move on, they're not winners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right, because Seattle wins due to mostly because of Wilson play and the Bears lose mostly due to Cutler's play.
The way you should look at it ishe's a winner who makes his team better just for having him while Cutler has a history of losing, has deplorable stats and record vs the Packers and the Bears are no better with him than they would be with any other average QB.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:

Wilson has 9 passing / rushing TD in 2015

Wilson has 9 INT / Fumbles in 2015

Amazing how the team struggles when they are counting on Wilson to carry the load for a prolonged period of time. It's not like the running game clicking & the elite defense were the major reasons Seattle was tough to beat the last 2 years.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Wilson's efficient. he doesn't have to carry the entire offense. having Lynch helps a lot. he's been throwing a lot more this year.

I'm more confused about how they have probably the same defense intact and they've lost half their games already.

Wilson has 9 passing / rushing TD in 2015

Wilson has 9 INT / Fumbles in 2015

Amazing how the team struggles when they are counting on Wilson to carry the load for a prolonged period of time. It's not like the running game clicking & the elite defense were the major reasons Seattle was tough to beat the last 2 years.

notice Lynch's absence.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're right guys, cutler has only been to the playoffs 1 time.

Forte has only been once. Same with Kyle long. Think it's Ike to move on, they're not winners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QB centric league. I've seen QBs with better numbers than Cutler be benched for not winning and so have you.