Is Jay Cutler salary cap hit, the problem everyone proclaims it to be?

mecha

Liked Posts:
Rivers and McCown are tearing it up and their teams are still sitting at 2-6 each. Rivers is like the absolute ceiling of offense right now, I looked it up earlier, they're 1st in offense. if you were to substitute Cutler with Rivers, coupled with how the rest of the team has been playing, the results probably don't change much. then again, we'll never know, that's a hypothetical situation that isn't going to happen.

there's a few teams that have what are considered great quarterbacks and their records are awful.

if Jay Cutler were averaging like 3 interceptions a game and the other team scores touchdowns on every single turnover, I'd buy your theory that he's the issue. that said, he's still 20th in salary or whatever was said above. he's probably getting paid much more than he should be but overall he's not like the highest paid QB ever. all their salaries ballooned in the last few years. Tony Romo never won shit and I'm certain he's the highest paid QB in the league. he's a great player, but I thought it was all about winning championships?

and to cite Brady's salary, dude's been in the league 16 seasons now. he made his money already, he's a humble team player type that allows the team to distribute the money to get better players. he's totally the exception on multiple fronts.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Contract Details
Total Value: $126,700,000 (avg. $18,100,000/year; $38,000,000 fully guaranteed)
12th highest of 87 QB contracts
Year Base Salary (Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
Number
Dead Money & Cap Savings

this is from overthecap.com

his contract is 12th overall out of 87 QB's

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
Jays a fucking pimp
And anyone butthurt over all the cash he is making should ask themselves if they would turn the money down themselves
If not sit down and shut up

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
On paper. In reality, this season, he's being out played.

Sure if they're a contending team obviously they'd rather have the better player, but the Bears aren't a contending team and won't be any time soon. I see little reason to continue overpaying at the QB position if it's no longer necessary. The team is 12-20 under Cutler the past 3 years with 1 playoff appearance. We can sign any FA off the street to continue losing games and not making the playoffs while Pace rebuilds the rest of the roster.

McCown or Hoyer could end up Superbowl MVP... but at the "time" of the decision to take an established starter over a journeyman before the season started, it was the right move... It would only be relevant to GMs decisions the next year going forward.

The Bears are 12-20 under center with Cutler... imagine how bad it would be with Hoyer or McCown. Even when you are rebuilding, you want to win as many games as possible.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I'm actually fine with keeping Cutler around for another year or two.. I'd just prefer it be in a backup role because Pace hit on a 2nd rounder. Call me crazy but I'd much rather see the next QB develop on the field along with the rest of the team that way they're both "ready" at the same time. Do you really want to waste the newly rebuilt teams "window" finding out the new QB that's been on the bench watching Cutler play actually sucks when they finally put him out there? I don't.

You wanna talk about ROI now? Let's dial up the ROI on a 16M dollar backup.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I am with you about taking a high rated prospect. What I don't want the Bears to do is go into this next draft saying we have to take a QB this year in the first 3 rounds and pass up on studs at other positions that the Bears could plug in as starters. I do not see a QB being worthy of a top 10 pick this year. Cook is close but I don't see him being any better than Jay.

Why not rebuild the rest of the team around Jay properly and have a crack at the playoffs over the next two seasons? If there is a QB prospect there you like over the next two off-seasons, by all means take him but I just don't see any top guys being worthy THIS YEAR.

This is what I think. There several ways to become a good team. But no matter what, you have to draft well. Some teams first get an elite QB and build the roster from there. Others develop a strong team around a serviceable QB.

But no matter what, a successful team needs to draft well. Going into a draft saying "we need to draft this position this year no matter what... that is going into panic mode. Chances are, you are going to either overdraft, or outsmart yourself.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm actually fine with keeping Cutler around for another year or two.. I'd just prefer it be in a backup role because Pace hit on a 2nd rounder. Call me crazy but I'd much rather see the next QB develop on the field along with the rest of the team that way they're both "ready" at the same time. Do you really want to waste the newly rebuilt teams "window" finding out the new QB that's been on the bench watching Cutler play actually sucks when they finally put him out there? I don't.

Agreed when the next guy is ready he plays.

If Pace hits a Russell Wilson HR I am fine with Jay backing up or being traded in 2016.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jay's contract is not an issue.

His past performance is the issue.

His present performance means that he should not be run out of town with pitchforks.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
You guys just crack me up. Every year it's the same old shit from the same old posters bitching about cutler. You honestly probably wait for any small mistake to just blast cutler on here. Fact that it hasn't happened in a few weeks is making you antsy that he may be the starting qb the next few seasons ;)

Deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
@thekapman: Robbie Gould on Jay Cutler: “It’s his locker room and it’s his team to lead. I think Jay has done a great job this year."

Nice try Robbie

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You guys should just have a love cutler hate cutler volleyball game and stfu

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jay's contract is not an issue.

His past performance is the issue.

His present performance means that he should not be run out of town with pitchforks.
Sums it up nicely.
You guys just crack me up. Every year it's the same old shit from the same old posters bitching about cutler. You honestly probably wait for any small mistake to just blast cutler on here. Fact that it hasn't happened in a few weeks is making you antsy that he may be the starting qb the next few seasons ;)

Deal with it.

Nah.

We just wait for him to fuck up to give you and a few others here hell because of lame posts like these.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
You should come back to Guild Wars 2, Jamais, I know the people on the forums miss you.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
but at the "time" of the decision to take an established starter over a journeyman before the season started, it was the right move...

How can you possibly argue it was the "right" move when Emery's decision to hitch his wagon to Cutler with that completely undeserved contract cost him his job?

The Bears are 12-20 under center with Cutler... imagine how bad it would be with Hoyer or McCown.

Who's to say it would be worse. They're both currently out playing him so its just as likely the team would the same or better with the added cost saving benefit.