Is Jay Cutler salary cap hit, the problem everyone proclaims it to be?

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Broc may be brash and harsh, but I see a lot of truth in his message. many of us are fucking assholes, and he's no exception, but he's OUR fucking asshole, damnit.

also what are you guys still arguing about? it's a dead issue, you can't discuss it any further. I'll wake up tomorrow and this thread will be 21 pages.
frag_266.jpg

"You're like an asshole right here"

Fyi, That's for Cutler not you mecha.

Sent from a spaghetti monster circling the earth

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Because as much as Cutler has improved, he is not playing as well as a journeyman who nobody thought would ever play as well as he is because he has been a journeyman for a reason

So let's someone that was 300 lbs (very obese) lost 100 lbs and was now 200 lbs with an average physique. Let's also say someone else was 250 lbs (muscular but overweight) and lost 50 lbs and now was 200 lbs with an above average physique. Would the first person make the second person look worse assuming they were gym partners just because he lost more weight?

With your logic, because McCown has a lot of TDs, it makes EVERY QB worse because as you say "because he has been a journeyman for a reason".

mecha

Liked Posts:
So let's someone that was 300 lbs (very obese) lost 100 lbs and was now 200 lbs with an average physique. Let's also say someone else was 250 lbs (muscular but overweight) and lost 50 lbs and now was 200 lbs with an above average physique. Would the first person make the second person look worse assuming they were gym partners just because he lost more weight?

With your logic, because McCown has a lot of TDs, it makes EVERY QB worse because as you say "because he has been a journeyman for a reason".

suck on that logic, Archer. Austin Powers owns you

mecha

Liked Posts:
I feel like talking a lot of shit today. I apologize in advance.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

Jay can throw for multiple touchdowns, 300 yards and lead come from behind drives 3 games in a row and the D blows it; still people will find a way to bitch.

Oh.

Wait.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess I'll be on the look out for your post that have content

You don't have to look very hard, you can start with my first post in this thread (#35). Props to Schmidtaki for at least attempting to debate the content. Then Desp makes a feeble attempt and gets taken to the woodshed in post #65, which naturally got no rebuttal and was ignored. If you yourself have any content to contribute to the thread you're welcome to form a rebuttal to #65 and get the thread back on topic. :smoke:

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
You don't have to look very hard, you can start with my first post in this thread (#35). Props to Schmidtaki for at least attempting to debate the content. Then Desp makes a feeble attempt and gets taken to the woodshed in post #65, which naturally got no rebuttal and was ignored. If you yourself have any content to contribute to the thread you're welcome to form a rebuttal to #65 and get the thread back on topic. :smoke:

In response to post 35:

Cutler is an average QB, your words, not mine. Go look up what average QBs are making and get back to me.

Hoyer is not an average QB. He is a below average QB that has an average ceiling (which he has played the last few games - albeit 5 of his touchdowns are in the 2nd halves of games his team was trailing a collective 93-0 at halftime in).

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
In response to post 65:

If you just looked at the OP, you would notice that Cutler has an average salary for QBs over the next 3 years. So your ROI argument is bullshit.

Can the Bears draft a QB and build him up? Absolutely. That is part of the improving the roster. Even Green Bay drafted Hundley when they have Rodgers. You are always looking to improve every position, even ones that you are set in.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

Lolllllllllllll
Lllll
Llll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
His contract is set up that he can be cut from years 2017-2020 with very little to no cap hit. I like that! It keeps him from those guaranteed years. It could be a testament to Curler believing in himself or that's all they offered. Either way, he's got to play well to get paid well and that's a good thing.

People could not get the idea of a front loaded contract through their head.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Desp, I'm going to try and be as polite as I can so please try and follow along here...

Pace's job is to continually try and improve the roster. The QB position is not immune to this just because you have a hard on for Cutler. Pace is currently paying premium money ($16.5m) at the QB position and getting below average production (ranked 18 out of 32) in return. If you think he's not looking to improve on that pathetic ROI you are being extremely naive.

That said, it's amusing that you continue to live in this fantasy world where you think the Org loves Cutler and sees this failed 7 year project as a future building block. The only reason he's still here is because Pace's hands were tied due to Emery's terrible decision to extend him with that ridiculous contract, and they were unable to get anyone to bite on a trade.

In response to post 65. I agree that the QB position isn't immune to a rebuild but Pace also isn't going to gut Cutler because he ruined your life broc.

Pace is paying average money at the QB position for an average QB, hardly to premium amount you have seem to fabricate. Sadly QB's get paid big money even if they are average. The contract has been team friendly for sometime now.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Sometimes I feel like people would be okay with the QB being below average as long as he is cheap.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Because as much as Cutler has improved, he is not playing as well as a journeyman who nobody thought would ever play as well as he is because he has been a journeyman for a reason

Is he playing well? With only one turnover away from tying his td total and a continuous losing record, I fail to see his improvement

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler is an average QB, your words, not mine.

Not just my words...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000552279/article/qb-index-quarterseason-rankings-132

"Middle of the Pack" aka "Average"

http://fansided.com/2015/11/04/nfl-quarterback-rankings-week-9/

"Jason Campbell Division" :lmao:

Go look up what average QBs are making and get back to me.

I already have.. Alex Smith makes $15m this year, Tannehill makes $11m but neither of them were offseason options.

Hoyer making $5.2m was, Fitzpatrick making $3.2m was, McCown making $4m was and in hindsight should of been kept instead of extending Cutler that completely ridiculous contract.

Hoyer is not an average QB. He is a below average QB that has an average ceiling (which he has played the last few games - albeit 5 of his touchdowns are in the 2nd halves of games his team was trailing a collective 93-0 at halftime in).

You're missing my point. My point is that these scrub journeyman QB's out performing Cutler for cent's on the dollar puts a nail in the coffin of the "it's impossible to find an upgrade at QB so might as well not bother" narrative some here push. As if the idea of moving on from Cutler dooms the team to suck, which to me seems like an odd thing to fear when the team already sucks even with him. I simply disagree with the folks that come up with excuses for why we should stand pat and not attempt to improve the position.

When you're paying $16.5m for #18th ranked production clearly there is room for improvement. And if Pace isn't looking to improve the QB position just like every other position on the roster he's a shit GM. Throwing more 5th and 6th rounders (David Fales, Dan LeFevour, and Nathan Enderle) or UFA's (Hanie and Shane Carden) at the problem hoping to strike gold clearly hasn't worked and is a pretty shit strategy moving forward.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Pace is currently paying premium money ($16.5m) at the QB position and getting below average production (ranked 18 out of 32) in return.

Cutler is being paid around the 15-20th compared to all other QBs. This is also the case through 2018. You say he's paid premium money when he's actually paid right around his production.