IST: Cubs @ A's

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Baez has basically been a started since June. Even with players coming back, he is only sitting once every 5 or 6 games.

Yes, I know that. I am also assuming that was why the reporter asked the question, to which Maddon responded, I did not know he was an every day player.

If you ask Maddon who his regulars are he would say fowler, heyward bryant russell, zobrist, Rizzo for sure. There is no regular left fielder or catcher and there is nothing wrong with that. Bryant and Zobrist can get mental days off with less responsibilities in the outfield.

It really made no sense to even get Coghlan back unless they were really pleading forgiveness that Coghlan was so bad and still want Oakland to talk to us about Gray or the kid that threw yesterday. I do not see any need to keep him on the roster since you have our best route runner in Iowa in Almora who would come up for any injury.

My problem has always been them justifying Heyward when so many fingers were pointing at Bryant being the regular right fielder. We get too hung up on never finding a solid third baseman since Santo to accept him going out there full time, and all honesty, the strength of the system has been SS and OF.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes, I know that. I am also assuming that was why the reporter asked the question, to which Maddon responded, I did not know he was an every day player.

If you ask Maddon who his regulars are he would say fowler, heyward bryant russell, zobrist, Rizzo for sure. There is no regular left fielder or catcher and there is nothing wrong with that. Bryant and Zobrist can get mental days off with less responsibilities in the outfield.

It really made no sense to even get Coghlan back unless they were really pleading forgiveness that Coghlan was so bad and still want Oakland to talk to us about Gray or the kid that threw yesterday. I do not see any need to keep him on the roster since you have our best route runner in Iowa in Almora who would come up for any injury.

My problem has always been them justifying Heyward when so many fingers were pointing at Bryant being the regular right fielder. We get too hung up on never finding a solid third baseman since Santo to accept him going out there full time, and all honesty, the strength of the system has been SS and OF.

If Heyward was hitting .293 again no one would complain. If he goes back to his career .269 BA no one complains again.

The only complaint is his first year results as a Cub. Lester had a rough 1st year also. Last I checked he is back to who he was.

Players will go back to their normal plateau's. Don't expect this hot streak from m Heyward.

On Baez: Soler coming back will effect his playing time. That is why Joe did not commit to him being a regular. But he fills the role Zobrist did for Joe before.

It really doesn't matter if Javy is starting or not. What he does is gives no drop off when a regular take a day off. If anything, it is Javy's plus D at 3 spots that puts him into this situation.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well regardless, if it's cogs or la stella, that player needs more than just a PH every now and than.

Roster will stand at 26. 1 needs to be cut post Hammel. Most likely Grimm.

SP:
Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hammel, Hendricks

Pen:
Chapman, Rondon, Strop, Wood, Montgomery, Edwards, Grimm, Smith

Starters:
Bryant, Russell, Zobrist, Rizzo, Montero, Soler, Fowler, Heyward

Bench:
Contreras, Ross, Szczur, Baez, Coghlan.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Roster will stand at 26. 1 needs to be cut post Hammel. Most likely Grimm.

SP:
Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hammel, Hendricks

Pen:
Chapman, Rondon, Strop, Wood, Montgomery, Edwards, Grimm, Smith

Starters:
Bryant, Russell, Zobrist, Rizzo, Montero, Soler, Fowler, Heyward

Bench:
Contreras, Ross, Szczur, Baez, Coghlan.

This is my take on how Maddon will go in August .

Ross.. Lester
Montero.. Arrieta
Contreras.. Lackey Hendricks and Hammel
Montero against tougher RHers

Rizzo
Zobrist
Russell
Bryant

Maddon will give these guys extra days off, so look for Baez to get his starts at all these positions.. Bryant probably plays first for Rizzo off days with Baez at 3rd..

Soler
Fowler
Heyward

Soler will probably play more to get ABs

Cogs will get some starts against tough RHers for Soler
Szczur and Bryant will give Fowler and Heyward their rest

I don't see Contreras playing LF anymore with Soler back
I think he will just catch his 3 games through rotation

Come September when they expand rosters..
Depending on division lead and best record
Maddon probably gives these guys even more time off

The rotation...

Most likely see the 6th man/bullpen game towards end of August or beginning of September..

Depending on division lead and home field, might see a couple more of those games later in September giving those guys extra days off late

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I haven't seen Soler play in the OF yet. After the AL run we will see.

What makes the most sense:

RH:
Zobrist LF
Fowler CF
Heyward RF

Then kick Cog and promote LaStella

LaStella 2B.

Vs LH

Soler LF
Zobrist 2B

Baez would be used to give guys days off. Make Contreras catch Lackey, Hammel and Hendricks and no LF. No platoon's with the catchers unless Arrieta matches up with on then Ross catching him.

That makes the most sense if Soler is able to field LF part time.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I haven't seen Soler play in the OF yet. After the AL run we will see.

What makes the most sense:

RH:
Zobrist LF
Fowler CF
Heyward RF

Then kick Cog and promote LaStella

LaStella 2B.

Vs LH

Soler LF
Zobrist 2B

Baez would be used to give guys days off. Make Contreras catch Lackey, Hammel and Hendricks and no LF. No platoon's with the catchers unless Arrieta matches up with on then Ross catching him.

That makes the most sense if Soler is able to field LF part time.
Their not kikn Cogs and LaStella hasn't even reported to Iowa yet..

So, their not bringing him back anytime soon..
Been what a week since he picked up a bat or ball

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.bleachernation.com/2016/08/09/joe-maddon-speaks-about-the-tommy-la-stella-situation/

La Stella situation seems not amazing. I have a hard time seeing things from his point of view. I get the idea of the team possibly manipulating things to deprive him of an arbitration year but that really doesn't seem to be the case. And even if it is, I don't see how him throwing up his hands and saying I'm not going down helps him.

We should have kept Vizcaino.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
LaStella being a Lil bitch ..

Stay in jersey.. Bye

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LaStella being a Lil bitch ..

Stay in jersey.. Bye

I guess you could look at it that way. I see a guy getting fucked over when up until now, has done nothing wrong. His numbers are better than other people who are here in Chicago and he's probably pretty pissed off about that. I've never been a big fan of his but watching what happened to him really kind of stinks. The reality of it is that he gets screwed because he was good enough or just unlucky enough to still have options left.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I guess you could look at it that way. I see a guy getting fucked over when up until now, has done nothing wrong. His numbers are better than other people who are here in Chicago and he's probably pretty pissed off about that. I've never been a big fan of his but watching what happened to him really kind of stinks. The reality of it is that he gets screwed because he was good enough or just unlucky enough to still have options left.
Yea.. But
He still gets paid..
Go do 3 weeks in Iowa where you get to play everyday
Stay sharp, come September 1st you're back and maybe come back better cause you're playing everyday..
Good possibility you make playoff roster

Now.. Who knows, he might be done in a cub uniform and miss out being with team winning it all..

Youre Tommy Frickn LaStella, utility guy..
Nothing more

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yea.. But
He still gets paid..
Go do 3 weeks in Iowa where you get to play everyday
Stay sharp, come September 1st you're back and maybe come back better cause you're playing everyday..
Good possibility you make playoff roster

Now.. Who knows, he might be done in a cub uniform and miss out being with team winning it all..

Youre Tommy Frickn LaStella, utility guy..
Nothing more

True....but if the Cubs just DFA him, he'll have another MLB job within a week. Not sure you can say the same for guys like Cogs or Smith.

But hey, it's not my problem. Right now, they have more usable players than they have room for...that's Theo's problem.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
True....but if the Cubs just DFA him, he'll have another MLB job within a week. Not sure you can say the same for guys like Cogs or Smith.

But hey, it's not my problem. Right now, they have more usable players than they have room for...that's Theo's problem.

ChicagoCubsOnline @TheCCO
According to @ESPNChiCubs on @ESPN1000 that Tommy La Stella said he will only play for #Cubs and will retire if traded
5:35 PM - 9 Aug 2016

What the fuck is even happening....

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
^^ weird as hell.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Their not kikn Cogs and LaStella hasn't even reported to Iowa yet..

So, their not bringing him back anytime soon..
Been what a week since he picked up a bat or ball

Even if they decided to can Coghlan and get lastella back, Maddon said he is still going to have to go and play somewhere, he has been in new jersey "hitting and running". He wont go to AAA, will he go to A or AA?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I see it as a guy who got the job done, got pissed at being sent down and he is also very tired of the rat race of professional baseball. My guess is he likes Chicago and the team and isn't interested in being a trade piece, etc. There has to be some type of negotiation going on we don't know about.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Maybe some bad teams...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

I would bet a dime to a dollar that if Joe Maddon wanted a person up in a hitting situation of any bench guy, or starter for that matter, that La Stella would be near the top for the Cubs.

He is a great contact hitter. He is something the Cubs could use down the stretch.

He has done nothing (numbers-wise) to warrant a demotion. A .295 AVG and .388 OBP is good enough to stay on any GOOD TEAM.