IST: Cubs at Giants

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Didn't get a chance to follow the game. Sounds like a hack job by the D.

Oh well. Sucks as they should have taken this one.

So did Bryant play a "decent" CF? I'm just wondering if it is realistic him in CF in 2016 with some off season training or is it completely unrealistic.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh well. Can't win them all. I'd be surprised if we won today though.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

So did Bryant play a "decent" CF? I'm just wondering if it is realistic him in CF in 2016 with some off season training or is it completely unrealistic.
Denorfia was in CF.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don't think he got any action. If he did, it was minimal. The D cost Hendricks two runs. Russell waiting back on a ball then going to second allowed a run to score. The guy beat the throw to second. He had a huge lead at first and Russell didn't realize it. Then, the final two runs that scored started off with Denorfia misplaying a ball in center. Ball was hit well but he took a horrendous route and didn't get to it.

The bats let us down as well. Russell and Rizzo struck out with runner on third and less than two outs. They both had bad days.

willycat

Liked Posts:
I don't think he got any action. If he did, it was minimal. The D cost Hendricks two runs. Russell waiting back on a ball then going to second allowed a run to score. The guy beat the throw to second. He had a huge lead at first and Russell didn't realize it. Then, the final two runs that scored started off with Denorfia misplaying a ball in center. Ball was hit well but he took a horrendous route and didn't get to it.

The bats let us down as well. Russell and Rizzo struck out with runner on third and less than two outs. They both had bad days.
Think that is the last time Denorfia in CF, except for an emergency. Hope Fowler is back today and if not would like to see Szczur or Bryant with a called up Baez at 3rd.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't.

Well OK, but if the Cubs do win the game it would be defying the odds. Bumgarner in his last 7 games is 6-1 with a 2.31 ERA, .87 WHIP and 59 K's in 50.2 innings work. In that stretch he's averaging 7.1 innings per game. Dan Haren well, nobody wants to see those stats. Baseball being baseball this is often when strange things happen and of course the Cubs would win the game. I would be, however, shocked as you would expect most folks to be. I didn't see the game last night but I woke up this morning very disappointed in the loss. Last night held the best chance, by any sort of metric, for the Cubs to win the series. I'm rooting for them to win today but I am by no means expecting it.

All that said it doesn't mean much. Even with a loss today the Cubs should be considered reasonably comfortable in the 2nd WC slot. 5.5 games down with 5.5 weeks left in the season is still a pretty big mountain to climb for SF with conventional wisdom saying that picking up 1 game a week is a reasonable expectation in a pennat race. Their better chance is catching the Dodgers in the division and the Cubs could help them do that in LA this weekend if the Giants could somehow find some success against the Cardinals. Meanwhile the Cubs will have put distance between themselves and the Dodgers. You really do gotta love baseball in a pennant race.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Well, at least we didn't get swept. 1-3.... Still will have a 5 game lead. It would be a miracle if we win today. In like the last 7 games or so against top pitching, we have all but been no hit every time. And a no hit against Hamels.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe Fowler is a little banged up. That is why they gave him the day off. It just shows a team weakness right now. No one able to give plus D in CF.

They should just start Szczur if Fowler needs a few days off.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1. Denorfia LF
2> Schwarber C
3. Bryant RF***
4. Rizzo 1B
5. Castro 2B
6. Russell SS
7. Szczur CF
8. Harren P
Herrera 3B

Weird line up.

I'm getting the feeling that this is a set up that may play out looking into next year. Soler may have a high selling price this off season and the Cubs may think he is injury prone.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@TheCCO: #Cubs vs. #Giants, Bumgarner (8/27):
Denorfia LF
Schwarber C
Bryant RFb
Rizzo 1B
Castro 2B
Russell SS
Szczur CF
Haren P
Herrera 3B

Fowler had xrays on shin, came back negative. .still gets another day off..

Cubs going RH heavy today .. bryant in RF, Sczcur in CF, Herrera at 3B..

Gonna take something freaky to pull out a win today..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
BTW Ross is on family medical. That opened up PT for Szczur. See what he brings.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
1. Denorfia LF
2> Schwarber C
3. Bryant RF***
4. Rizzo 1B
5. Castro 2B
6. Russell SS
7. Szczur CF
8. Harren P
Herrera 3B

Weird line up.

I'm getting the feeling that this is a set up that may play out looking into next year. Soler may have a high selling price this off season and the Cubs may think he is injury prone.

I've suggested this before, while most of the chatter is that the Cubs will try to use Baez as their main trading chip this winter, and it could very well be that's the play, there is also a very good chance that it could be Soler who arguably could have more value. If the latter is the case and Baez is their guy you can choose which guy plays RF and which guy plays 3B between he and Bryant. Nothing is set in stone right now but there are tons of options. That's what having this kind of depth gives you.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was pretty confident that MAddon would use Bryant in right at some point. He isn't scared to put guys out of position. They are athletes. They won't be great but they should maintain.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro get us the lead. Cant wait to watch his soft tosses to first.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Russell needs to use more pine tar. I have never seen a player lose his bat like him. He does it like once a week. Haha