Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
It's very hard to repeat as Champions. I get that. They made a nice run in 2017 but LA was just the better team. Last season they ran into a historically hot Milwaukee team in September. However, there are flaws with this team from 2018 and now into this season...

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
For some reason he just doesnt seem to be able to sustain success.

He established the Boston Red Sox as an enduring equal to the Yankees dominance and won World Series' in 2004, 2007, and again in 2013 (he was gone but most of his players were still there). He came to Chicago and the Cubs have made the playoffs four years in a row, won a World Series, and gone to the NLCS three times.

In short, what an unbelievably stupid point.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Theo is going to blow this thing up like he did in Boston. The guy is great at establishing a culture and he made some great trades early on. For some reason he just doesnt seem to be able to sustain success. Between the strange decision to not spend and the decision to not extend Joe, there has to be a lot of tension between Theo/Ricketts/Joe. This might be a blow it up midseason kind of year.
I dont think it going to be a major blow up unless he plans on staying and receives an extension, he has 2 yrs left on current deal..
So, a major blowup would mean restocking system because there really no more solid young hitters left in free agency given these guys are all signing extensions now.
So, 2 yrs not enough time to rebuild a team.

I personally think they didn't fire Maddon because they didn't want the backlash from fans media etc for firing a successful manager who won them a WS plus their not going to pay mega bucks on 2 .managers, assuming the replacement will be a highly named guy like Girardi.. theyd be better off waiting til inseason and first sign of struggle and team falling, theyll pull that trigger, like Hawks did with Q.

As far as players goes, I think their basically giving the core this last opportunity to make or break themselves and depending on where their at theyll address that situation near deadline or offseason..

Plus with the ones on last year of contract, like Zobrist and Hamels theyll be making moves and signings that will replace them on roster

So, yes of course they want to win but I think this season more of an evaluation / cant think of the word but like a in between year to basically get through and make changes where needed at end of year

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm tempted to resist this line of thinking due to being 4 games in. But yes that was sicknesses in action and I have avoided the Cubs in general last night.

But we do need a body of work before making long term decisions. Theo did say there will be changes if it blows up this year. And I take that as Zo and Hamels traded at least

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But I really think that they need to refocus. IMO the last few games the pitching has failed and last night was the position players trying to over compensate. Trying to do too much to get outs due to the staff lacking high leverage arms.

I really believe Russell returning will end up being a stability factor. I really don't like the guy but this is really more about need vs want right now.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I'm tempted to resist this line of thinking due to being 4 games in. But yes that was sicknesses in action and I have avoided the Cubs in general last night.

But we do need a body of work before making long term decisions. Theo did say there will be changes if it blows up this year. And I take that as Zo and Hamels traded at least
Two guys not under contract or team control is not the definition of changes. Thats like the hawks dealing away the players that wont take bridge contracts and keep the problems around.

When will Baez leadoff? Lets you hit rizzo second, Bryant third, Zo or Schwarber (well, whenever he becomes the starting left fielder) fourth. I dont know what else he has to prove. He swung at a low and outside slider and hit it over the left field wall. Let him get on base and let him run and get off to fast starts, not let him drive them in and get stuck behind rizzo on the base pads.

I am wondering if the score morning show producer is right saying Maddon will be gone by the kentucky derby. At that time, we will be on our 35th different lineup.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Two guys not under contract or team control is not the definition of changes. Thats like the hawks dealing away the players that wont take bridge contracts and keep the problems around.

When will Baez leadoff? Lets you hit rizzo second, Bryant third, Zo or Schwarber (well, whenever he becomes the starting left fielder) fourth. I dont know what else he has to prove. He swung at a low and outside slider and hit it over the left field wall. Let him get on base and let him run and get off to fast starts, not let him drive them in and get stuck behind rizzo on the base pads.

I am wondering if the score morning show producer is right saying Maddon will be gone by the kentucky derby. At that time, we will be on our 35th different lineup.

It would be about removing $$ on a failed year. Both hold value on a contender.

If you are trading away talent on a failed product finding balance is the least of concerns.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But if it was my choice.

Trade Hamels and promote Alozay. Chatwood trade or absorb your loss. Montgomery trade to a team like the Pads who will be looking for a starter mid season with their innings limits to their youth. Pads may end up a trade partner for Hamels also if they prove to be legit.

Russell you need to build value. Nico IMO at best is a late season call up. 2 months at AA. 1 month at AAA would be Happ pace and might be too much of a rush job. But if you are looking at a lead off and he is a SS it only makes sense. I would trade Zo and hold on to Russell though. Let Nico mature and deal put Russell off season with Nico getting some Sept action.

Maples I would promote. Most of the short term pen cut or trade and internal promote

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But that is the way that I would deal with this. If they are in it let it run it's course. If they are out of it it is far better to turn over short term and promote from with in. In a play off run the stakes are high where one bad game causes a demote. That is why we are seeing Jed sign these scrubs to fill in pen rolls. They got no cash and this team has been a contender which has blocked player development

reggie_love

Liked Posts:
He established the Boston Red Sox as an enduring equal to the Yankees dominance and won World Series' in 2004, 2007, and again in 2013 (he was gone but most of his players were still there). He came to Chicago and the Cubs have made the playoffs four years in a row, won a World Series, and gone to the NLCS three times.

In short, what an unbelievably stupid point.
I'm not going to argue with you. Boston fell apart towards the end and he moved on. Yes, he established a winning culture in Chicago but the arrow is pointing down and has been since last year. You can disagree with me but its not a stupid point.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not going to argue with you. Boston fell apart towards the end and he moved on. Yes, he established a winning culture in Chicago but the arrow is pointing down and has been since last year. You can disagree with me but its not a stupid point.
I dont know if the arrow pointing down right now, I'd say it more in limbo..

Theo / Jed put the bulk of their available money into Darvish and Morrow last year and it backfired with both getting injured.

So, this season the Ricketts capped them out and their pretty much going as is and will basically find out who from this group is worth holding onto going forward.

This coming off season theyll have more money to spend with guys coming off the book, and more then likely some trade chips, so maybe they fall short this year but they can very easily get it going again next year.

As far as this season goes, I think it will boil down to the pitching and mainly the bullpen..
eventually their going to have to make some moves to strengthen it.
Morrow return will help, and it likely they will look to bring guys up from system to get the job done if others cant.

We may even see a change in Manager if they feel the team needs that kind of push to get them going (which I personally feel will happen if they dont get going sooner rather then later)

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Just play better today, please.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Not happening. Terrible idea

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Great start on defense. 6 errors last game; Heyward starts with one, only 5 to go

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks