IST: Cubs @ Pirates

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Silver linings... Edwards looks legit numerically. Haven't caught many of the games he's pitched in to see but he was walking a ton in AAA and i was a little worried. No such problems thus far with a 10.24 k/9 and a 2.79 bb/9 along with his 1.86 ERA. Given his pedigree as a prospect seeing him fill in that 7th inning role wouldn't be shocking. If you have him, strop and rondon 7th-9th the bullpen starts to look a lot stronger. Cahill and wood have been good vs rightes and lefties respectively. So, that leaves them with Grimm who's still struggling a bit and probably someone from outside the organization as your other lefty arm. Still don't think that's Miller though.

Nathan might be worth while instead of Grimm if he doesn't get going. Historically Nathan has crushed righties at .181/.243/.285 and hasn't been bad vs lefties either at .202/.282/.316. Alternatively, if Nathan gets called up you might move him into more that 7th role as a vet to take some of the pressure off Edwards.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
@WaddleandSilvy: 2 wks ago, the #Cubs had a 14 game lead over the #Bucs. It's now 7 1/2. Just baseball? Discuss.

This is what sucks about the last couple weeks...

Yea their going to get it going again, just didn't want them playing meaningful games in September and be able to rest guys more for the playoff...

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

You're assuming that Pittsburgh and St. Louis will continue to win at the same pace. That's not a shot at you. It's just mind games that we all play on ourselves. This is not 1969. Neither team will do what the Mets did. The Pirates will hit another hole or two as will the Cardinals.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
LOL@

The Chicken Little crowd.

The timing of most everything is perfect. Get off fast, build a lead then mid season hit the dry spell that happens to every team EVERY year...slowly turn it around, then finish strong down the stretch. Does anyone other than the dementia riddled old man really think that this is the team you will see for the next 80 games? Anyone?

They will eventually turn it around and hopefully finish as strong as they started.
What a fucktard...calls me out? Fact is that the Cubs are the most overrated and overhyped team in the history of sports. Right now they are playing like the worst team in the league. What part of that dont you understand, shit for brains?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What a fucktard...calls me out? Fact is that the Cubs are the most overrated and overhyped team in the history of sports. Right now they are playing like the worst team in the league. What part of that dont you understand, shit for brains?

:umad:

Awww, poor foul mouthed old man is upset.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You're assuming that Pittsburgh and St. Louis will continue to win at the same pace. That's not a shot at you. It's just mind games that we all play on ourselves. This is not 1969. Neither team will do what the Mets did. The Pirates will hit another hole or two as will the Cardinals.
I think the Pirates will continue to play good ball..

Will the Pirates catch the cubs?
I think we will know better the next couple weeks.

How long it takes the Cubs to right the ship and how many games the Pirates are able to chip off the lead til then.

Cubs need to win 1 of these next 2 games to keep lead at at least 7 going into break over just 5.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Your schtick is tiresome and your continued childish namecalling is, too.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I think the Pirates will continue to play good ball..

Will the Pirates catch the cubs?
I think we will know better the next couple weeks.

How long it takes the Cubs to right the ship and how many games the Pirates are able to chip off the lead til then.

Cubs need to win 1 of these next 2 games to keep lead at at least 7 going into break over just 5.

To me it's as simple as this; they're going to make the playoffs but they need to right the ship enough to take the division. After that it's anyone's to win. Essentially random among division winners and the survivor of the WC. In the playoffs you need 5 arms in the pen or 6 if the 5th starter is on the roster, right now the Cubs have 3 in Wood, Strop and Rondon. Edwards and Grimm are both strong possibilities for the 4th. They need the 5th guy and he needs to be a lefty. Sean Doolittle if healthy, Fernando Abad and of course Andrew Miller are all options and I think any of them would solve the problem to one degree or the other. The lineup should take care of itself with health. My one real concern now is Arrieta. He isn't awful but he's an MOR right now and Lester needs a partner at TOR. Not sure of that answer to be honest unless Arrieta improves.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember in May when Cole said the Cubs are not the best team in baseball and everyone was all butthurt? Those were the days.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers
ESPN Staff Writer

Kris Bryant opined on Saturday that maybe funny guy Munenori Kawasaki is just what the Cubs clubhouse needs as there's a personality void without injured players Dexter Fowler and David Ross around. Bryant: "Zobrist asked him on the team bus where he came from meaning where was Triple-A playing before he got called up. Without missing a beat Kawasaki says 'Japan.' Had us all laughing."

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers
ESPN Staff Writer

Kris Bryant opined on Saturday that maybe funny guy Munenori Kawasaki is just what the Cubs clubhouse needs as there's a personality void without injured players Dexter Fowler and David Ross around. Bryant: "Zobrist asked him on the team bus where he came from meaning where was Triple-A playing before he got called up. Without missing a beat Kawasaki says 'Japan.' Had us all laughing."
@TheCCO: #Cubs | From the Wire: Cubs Recall Munenori Kawasaki, Option Jeimer Candelario to Triple-A Iowa bit.ly/29vdvnr #MLB

You beat me to it..

I was just going to post that this could be like one of Maddon thing he does, because if he does anything he can loosen up the clubhouse..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cm8d5fdUkAA4ncx.jpg

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
im not worried about this skid because it can be easily explained and fixed. Missing Fowler has really hurt the cubs who should be back to normall after the all star break. The season is half over and the Cubs have won more than 50 games and have an 8 game lead in the NL Central. The bullpen needs to improve and I can almost assure everyone that Epstein knows this and will get us a front line reliever. I keep hearing Andrew Miller for Almora, Happ, and maybe Candelario. I think this is why the Cubs brought Candelario up. To show that he can hit MLB pitching. The Yankees will get 2 or 3 starters next year for a reliever. I just hope Almora doesn't become the player most people think he will and this trade comes back to haunt us. I don't think so because he will be playing in the AL and the Cubs have a ton of OF's. Miller would be under contract until 2018 so the Cubs would get one of the best closers/late setup men in the game in this trade. Or they will get Chapman I can almost guarantee one of the two will be in a Cubs uniform in the not too distant future. We don't need another bat because the offense has been fine. The starters need to return to form and a week off will help them do this. The Cubs are going to be fine and should win the NL Central easily. I can only hope the Cubs don't get on a cold streak like this in late September or October. Because if they play like they've been playing they're going to get swept in the first round. I don't think this is going to happen though baring a major injury or a bus/plane crash that kills half of the team :(

cubsmann

Liked Posts:

Good lineup tonight. Heyward is finally starting to hit with some consistency and Lester will not get rocked again. I am thinking a 5-1 win tonight. Baez and Contreras have been killing the ball lately as have Rizzo and Bryant. I like LaStella leading off. I can't wait to see Fowler back in the lineup next week. Im thinking the Cubs win easily tonight. They really need to take 2 out of 3 from the Bucs before the break.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
im not worried about this skid because it can be easily explained and fixed. Missing Fowler has really hurt the cubs who should be back to normall after the all star break. The season is half over and the Cubs have won more than 50 games and have an 8 game lead in the NL Central. The bullpen needs to improve and I can almost assure everyone that Epstein knows this and will get us a front line reliever. I keep hearing Andrew Miller for Almora, Happ, and maybe Candelario. I think this is why the Cubs brought Candelario up. To show that he can hit MLB pitching. The Yankees will get 2 or 3 starters next year for a reliever. I just hope Almora doesn't become the player most people think he will and this trade comes back to haunt us. I don't think so because he will be playing in the AL and the Cubs have a ton of OF's. Miller would be under contract until 2018 so the Cubs would get one of the best closers/late setup men in the game in this trade. Or they will get Chapman I can almost guarantee one of the two will be in a Cubs uniform in the not too distant future. We don't need another bat because the offense has been fine. The starters need to return to form and a week off will help them do this. The Cubs are going to be fine and should win the NL Central easily. I can only hope the Cubs don't get on a cold streak like this in late September or October. Because if they play like they've been playing they're going to get swept in the first round. I don't think this is going to happen though baring a major injury or a bus/plane crash that kills half of the team :(
Tell us again how the Cubs are the greatest team in MLB history?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Good lineup tonight. Heyward is finally starting to hit with some consistency and Lester will not get rocked again. I am thinking a 5-1 win tonight. Baez and Contreras have been killing the ball lately as have Rizzo and Bryant. I like LaStella leading off. I can't wait to see Fowler back in the lineup next week. Im thinking the Cubs win easily tonight. They really need to take 2 out of 3 from the Bucs before the break.

Not a bad line up. I like that they are putting Zobrist back into a RBI spot. Very needed to boost production.

I'm thinking this could become a normal line up until Fowler gets back. Adding funny man gives the UI back for flexibility lost starting both LaStella and Baez.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Cubs need stability right now. Joe has not been helping things by rolling out a new flavor line up every day in a struggle. Defining roles would be a better call until Fowler returns.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs need stability right now. Joe has not been helping things by rolling out a new flavor line up every day in a struggle. Defining roles would be a better call until Fowler returns.
I was thinking the same thing the other day...

Seems like he trying to get everyone a start every game..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@CarrieMuskat: #Cubs Maddon on Fowler: "The word I got back was that he didn't feel anything other than the fact that he knew he could not push it"

Sound like he might need another week to return, Maybe after the Rangers series