IST: Cubs vs. Pirates

chibears55

Liked Posts:
And with one 3 hit night Almora's up to .259/.310/.407. Average is still a touch low for what you'd expect out of him but he's getting there.
2 hits off a RH too..

Be nice to see him start tomorrow but we all know Maddon will go to Happ again..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Homer from Butler notwithstanding, the bullpen looks shockingly good. And even Butler has a silly 1.80 ERA with a 0.60 WHIP. Think that this bullpen experiment with him could be big. I remember brining the idea up before the season of his stuff playing up in the pen. It appears to be really working. I also sorta love the idea of having him and monty basically being R/L mirrors of each other. Both are guys who can pinch start as needed and can go multiple innings should you require that.

I don't know if Butler ends up going back to starting other than the likely spot starts going forward but if he essentially turns into what Monty has been the past few years it will be big.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Have a game Baez..

Back 2 Back 2 homer games

He should get engaged more often lol

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Homer from Butler notwithstanding, the bullpen looks shockingly good. And even Butler has a silly 1.80 ERA with a 0.60 WHIP. Think that this bullpen experiment with him could be big. I remember brining the idea up before the season of his stuff playing up in the pen. It appears to be really working. I also sorta love the idea of having him and monty basically being R/L mirrors of each other. Both are guys who can pinch start as needed and can go multiple innings should you require that.

I don't know if Butler ends up going back to starting other than the likely spot starts going forward but if he essentially turns into what Monty has been the past few years it will be big.
Those are the type of guys that end up playing a big part in the playoffs now..

The ones that can give you 2+ innings

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Have a game Baez..

Back 2 Back 2 homer games

He should get engaged more often lol

I just hope he sustains this level of hitting for more than a few weeks. We've seen him go on monster tears then go silent for months at a time. I really hope this year its a more sustained approach. His K rate is pretty encouraging. I mean it's high but if he's 23.3% with a walk rate over 10%(currently 14.0%) he's so much more interesting than the Javy we've seen before.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I just hope he sustains this level of hitting for more than a few weeks. We've seen him go on monster tears then go silent for months at a time. I really hope this year its a more sustained approach. His K rate is pretty encouraging. I mean it's high but if he's 23.3% with a walk rate over 10%(currently 14.0%) he's so much more interesting than the Javy we've seen before.
He got a baby coming, he got engaged today..

Hopefully this year we do see a more mature smart baseball player in him..

I think also having him settled in at 2B everyday now will help him alot..

oober

Liked Posts:
5 tools for Javy showing up big tonight.... Hopefully he keeps it going.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Listening to his interview he sounds like he has the right mental approach now. He is not concerned with the numbers. He is focused on the battle with the pitcher. Just like playing D. He is just focused on the ball trajectory.

He is really buying into Joe’s mantra right now and you see it with these guys when they talk. Playing in the now and not letting the distractions take over.

We could see a monster year come out of him

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Listening to his interview he sounds like he has the right mental approach now. He is not concerned with the numbers. He is focused on the battle with the pitcher. Just like playing D. He is just focused on the ball trajectory.

He is really buying into Joe’s mantra right now and you see it with these guys when they talk. Playing in the now and not letting the distractions take over.

We could see a monster year come out of him

yes we can, we can also be guaranteed that this kid making basically minimum will be worthless for swinging at a pitch out of the zone, regardless of his fearlessness in the base paths, expecting to catch everything in his zip code stealing outs from the other team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
yes we can, we can also be guaranteed that this kid making basically minimum will be worthless for swinging at a pitch out of the zone, regardless of his fearlessness in the base paths, expecting to catch everything in his zip code stealing outs from the other team.

Good to know that you are his fanboi

Add to it in 2 days Baez has caught up to Bryant in OPS with 1/2 the hits. Now I'm personally liking him batting ahead of the pitcher in general because it does pad his BB total. Not to mention right now. Don't be shocked if Pitt flat out pitches around him.

I've seen his biggest weakness being his plate approach. When his BB% hovers around 8-10% is when he has had his best success. He is at 13% right now. That has always been a key to successful power hitters. Accepting your walks.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It occurred to me last night that I can't recall ever seeing someone who could turn a double play faster than Baez. His release is historic.

His “twitch muscles” are probably up there with the best in history. What he doesn’t get credit for is his smarts. He puts himself in positions to minimize any wasted effort. His instincts are always talked about but he understands the game inside and out. His problem is slowing himself down when it calls for it at the plate or in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Good to know that you are his fanboi

Add to it in 2 days Baez has caught up to Bryant in OPS with 1/2 the hits. Now I'm personally liking him batting ahead of the pitcher in general because it does pad his BB total. Not to mention right now. Don't be shocked if Pitt flat out pitches around him.

I've seen his biggest weakness being his plate approach. When his BB% hovers around 8-10% is when he has had his best success. He is at 13% right now. That has always been a key to successful power hitters. Accepting your walks.

Right, but the big boys need "protection" in the lineup so they get pitches to hit. Lets see when Joe moves him to a meaty spot in the order with "protection".

I am sure that will be the Heyward excuse soon enough.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/984435154872602624?s=19

As i thought... Almora has a good game with 3 hits and nice catch and he sits today..

Happ leading off and Caratini giving Contreras a day off

Almora is going to see a lot of time against lefties. I'm not shocked at all that he's sitting in favor of Happ today. This is how Maddon operates. Personally I've seen enough of Happ at leadoff but I'm not a MLB manager.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Almora is going to see a lot of time against lefties. I'm not shocked at all that he's sitting in favor of Happ today. This is how Maddon operates. Personally I've seen enough of Happ at leadoff but I'm not a MLB manager.
Id just like to see Almora get a couple games in a row and face RHers to see how it goes..

He had 2 hits off RHers last night..

Youd think eventually they'd give this kid a legit chance to take over CF

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Doesn't mean fans can't be right over them on decisions that are made

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Doesn't mean fans can't be right over them on decisions that are made

No, but we have very little way of knowing that. Maddon's early season moves follow a pattern of patience and trying to instill confidence in his players. There's a plan there. Is it right or wrong? I have no idea.