IST: Pirates vs Cubs

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
Oh no, we suck again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen you post this quite often and I'm still not sure what your point is. Cubs are playing some truly shit baseball right now. I mean, if that makes you happy, more power to you. I see you don't care even care if the Cubs lose the division so guess you're not even a fan.

kapooncha

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I'm just at the point where if people want to be miserable I'm not going to bother trying to cheer them up. What's the point in engaging? It's also why I rarely if ever comment in these IST during a game. The threads are just depressing. I've come to the conclusion that some people don't want to have rational discussions. They want to be emotional and vent their frustration. And I mean if that's what people want then whatever but I have no desire to play a shoulder for people to cry on anymore.

As for the cubs, despite rumors of their demise they are still a half game up and have the talent to close this out. Would have been nice if it had come easier but life isn't always easy. Hopefully we get the Q of the last month rather than the Q prior to that.

You've been criticizing myself and ChiBears for our doomsday predictions. You've been citing FanGraphs about probabilities. And basically you've been dead wrong. Here we are, .5 games ahead of Milwaukee who has the much easier schedule to finish off. Cubs are getting their asses handed to them by the friggin' Pirates and for some reason you seem unwilling to acknowledge that the Cubs are playing some shit ball.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
No one is allowed to have any criticism of the Cubs or they are shouted down

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen you post this quite often and I'm still not sure what your point is. Cubs are playing some truly shit baseball right now. I mean, if that makes you happy, more power to you. I see you don't care even care if the Cubs lose the division so guess you're not even a fan.

Dr. Phil, is it ok to eat ass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs just need to win games. Citing Stats do not equal wins.

I see it as projecting and that is it. If you look at the run diff of the Dodgers they are a 100 win team. So it is a very iffy gauge.

I see it as the games are played on the field. Not on a abacus

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Thought they were going to play the Rizzo leadoff card but they did not.

Got Murph, Baez, Rizzo and Heyward can ground out to second base from the cleanup spot.

Why wont Joe just leadoff Javy already?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
DoC6uxBWkAArlnZ.jpg

Not really feeling this. Nova has been a thorn from what I recal.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
You've been criticizing myself and ChiBears for our doomsday predictions. You've been citing FanGraphs about probabilities. And basically you've been dead wrong. Here we are, .5 games ahead of Milwaukee who has the much easier schedule to finish off. Cubs are getting their asses handed to them by the friggin' Pirates and for some reason you seem unwilling to acknowledge that the Cubs are playing some shit ball.

Look, I already said I'm not going to bother engaging in this discussion because it's pointless. There's literally nothing I can say that's going to change your opinion that the cubs will lose the division. Well I don't agree with that. So, you tell me what you want from me.

And while you're tooting your horn might I remind you this all started with you suggesting it wasn't crazy to believe the cardinals were going to continue winning at an 80% clip because they replaced their manager and that made all the difference. I was right about that. After going 22-6 in August they are 11-12 in September. That conversation also started before the cubs shut down Darvish for the year. It started before the league made the cubs play 30 straight days. It started before Russell's ex-wife openly accused him of physical abuse resulting in him being placed on admin. leave. It started before Morrow was shut down for the year. It started before Smyly was shut down for the year. And it started before Strop got hurt not to mention Schwarber and Heyward also missing a week or two. You'll have to forgive me for being some what inaccurate saying I thought the cubs would win between 94-95 games. It now looks more like 93-94.

So, you want what, me to admit I was wrong about the Brewers? I always thought they were more or a threat than the cards. Did I see them going 23-10 over their last month or so? No because simply put they'd never shown themselves to be that good. And maybe their magic holds out a little longer but I still believe regression is going to hit them hard sooner or later just like it did with the Cards playing well for a month.

What I'm not going to do is sit here and complain about being a half game up with 5 to play with all of the remaining games at home and likely the WC game at home should it come to that. If they fail to capitalize on this situation I'm not going to be mad either. Frankly, the fact they have won 91 games with all the crappy shit that's happened to them this year is a miracle. I mean who in spring training had Bote getting over 200 PAs with the big league club?

Regardless, I'll start complaining when there's actually something worth complaining about. I mean the cubs aren't having the season baltimore did. Hell they aren't even having the season Washington did. Their worst case scenario is having to win a wild card game at home. I'll literally take that every year and take it happily.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Not really feeling this. Nova has been a thorn from what I recal.

Some guys with good numbers against him. Schwarber has a .500 SLG, Rizzo .382/.429/.462, Murphy .357/.438/.429. The head scratcher is why Contreras isn't in the lineup with a .545 SLG against him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Thought they were going to play the Rizzo leadoff card but they did not.

Got Murph, Baez, Rizzo and Heyward can ground out to second base from the cleanup spot.

Why wont Joe just leadoff Javy already?

Because OBA is serious business

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Some guys with good numbers against him. Schwarber has a .500 SLG, Rizzo .382/.429/.462, Murphy .357/.438/.429. The head scratcher is why Contreras isn't in the lineup with a .545 SLG against him.

Might be feeling it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Fangraphs has an interesting article on Schwarber up here https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-silliest-thing-about-kyle-schwarber/

The thing that struck me more wasn't that Schwarber has been bad in high leverage situations. It's that 3 of the worst differentials in the league between high and low/med are Schwarber, Baez and Contreras. I haven't dove into the numbers enough to have a lengthy response like I typically would. But that strikes me as just horrible luck more than bad players because Baez is killing it this year and Schwarber in non-high leverage situations has a wRC+ of 137.

It would also explain why the offense seems to dry up sometimes for no particular reason. Schwarber has 389 PAs at 5/6. Javy's kinda been all over the place but between 4-6 he's had 223 PAs. Contreras has 389 4-6. If you have guys like Rizzo and Zobrist getting on but then run into that brick wall of poor high leverage hitting you're going to lose games.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My only point thru all of this was that nothing was in the bag with a small 4.5 game lead going into Labor Day, regardless of some stupid mathematical algorithm. The Cubs are still winning this division.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
My only point thru all of this was that nothing was in the bag with a small 4.5 game lead going into Labor Day, regardless of some stupid mathematical algorithm. The Cubs are still winning this division.
Let's hope you're right.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well as much power Schwarber has there is no reason why he shouldn’t be hitting 3-5 every day. If he ain’t that guy then they need to readjust this off.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well as much power Schwarber has there is no reason why he shouldn’t be hitting 3-5 every day. If he ain’t that guy then they need to readjust this off.

I'm not saying he shouldn't bat there. Just that if he/baez/contreras aren't coming through in high leverage situations then you're going to lose games. I still think it'd be interesting to see Schwarber in the 2 hole though. He's got a 15.5% walk rate and a .358 OBP. Go something like Murphy, Schwarber, Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist. I know joe doesn't like to put back to back lefties or righties but those are likely the guys you'd want up with someone on base.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
And with ALL those tjings working against the Cubs and for the Brewers, the Cubs are in first.

And yet he STILL insists you were wrong.