IST: San Diego Padres at Chicago Cubs (July 22-24)

How many games do the Cubs win?

• Who cares?

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No really who cares?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seriously it matters if this team wins 60 or 70 games?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You suck

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think they give Wada another opportunity. R.R. said that Wada never was able to loosen up in the game and had to grind through the game.

At this point I would give him 5 games then decide if they want to use Beeler or Straily.

In the end it is not going to matter. I see them going after Lester. All of them are just innings suckers this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see them 1-2.

I would rather have Soler hitting #2 with Castro hitting 6.

Soler has a 11% BB rate vs Castro's 6%.

Getting guys on base means more than padding players stats with more AB's due to hitting #2.

The way I look at it:

#2 hitter will get around 600 AB's. If he has a .325 OBA that means he is an out 67.5% of the time. Or over 2/3's.

If you get luck and get a player close to Rizzo's .389 OBA than you are talking about an out 2/5 ths of the time.

It makes a big difference in RBI opportunists. That is why speed is over rated and OBA is king for top of the order.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Jackson doing his best to cost the Cubs the most in a trade

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't want any prospect picked by a team that would trade for Edwin Jackson.

It is not about the return. It would be about how much of his contract they could shed.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It is not about the return. It would be about how much of his contract they could shed.
Yea I think the better jackson can showcase himself will basically mean how much less the cubs would have to pay to dump him....
If he could get 7 innings with just the 2 runs will bold well in moving him aftet a decent start his last game

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yes, I realize we are most concerned with shedding that salary. Nobody expects anything of value in return for him. (Though we did get a useful asset for Soriano, who had less than a year of baseball left in him at the time of the trade.)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yea I think the better jackson can showcase himself will basically mean how much less the cubs would have to pay to dump him....
If he could get 7 innings with just the 2 runs will bold well in moving him aftet a decent start his last game
Its going to take way more than this. Hes the worst pitcher in the NL

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Its going to take way more than this. Hes the worst pitcher in the NL
Was talking more consistent starts like what I hope he accomplishes tonight and last one..
Id be surprised if he moved by next week, just hoping if he strings 4-5 decent ones together maybe a waiver deal in August

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We don't need to shed salary. Jackson bouncing back is worth the difference of what we would save/the shitty prospect we would get back.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
1st and 3rd, nobody out. Strikeout.

Same result. Game after game. Year after year.

I know guys strike out sometimes. But why, why, why do we never have a guy who realizes he must make contact in that situation? Shorten your stroke and get the bat on the ball.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
We don't need to shed salary. Jackson bouncing back is worth the difference of what we would save/the shitty prospect we would get back.
A couple good starts wouldn't be considered a bounce back
It would be god gift to us so we can dump him

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A couple good starts wouldn't be considered a bounce back
It would be god gift to us so we can dump him

He has shown the potential to be a 3+ win pitcher in the past. I think its worth betting that he has the potential to return to that. Payroll is clearly not an issue. We're not going to get anything of value for him. Just hang onto him and see if he can turn it around next year. If he can't, then dump him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He has shown the potential to be a 3+ win pitcher in the past. I think its worth betting that he has the potential to return to that. Payroll is clearly not an issue. We're not going to get anything of value for him. Just hang onto him and see if he can turn it around next year. If he can't, then dump him.
He sucks....

They would be better off dropping him and getting 2 quality pitchers via FA or trade and going with Arrieta wood and hendricks

There no need for jackson on this team going forward or hoping he bounces back.. I doubt he ever has a 10 win season again in his career, that how bad he is

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He sucks....

They would be better off dropping him and getting 2 quality pitchers via FA or trade and going with Arrieta wood and hendricks

There no need for jackson on this team going forward or hoping he bounces back.. I doubt he ever has a 10 win season again in his career, that how bad he is

So now we're basing pitcher performance off of wins? Shark has never won 10 games in his career, I guess he's bad too.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone is so quick to hate on Jackson. You ignore the fact that Travis Wood has been just as bad as him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So now we're basing pitcher performance off of wins? Shark has never won 10 games in his career, I guess he's bad too.
Seriously ????

The guy has a 5.22 ERA in his 51 cubs starts with a 1.50 Whip
Averaging just over 5 IP per start

How many games do you think he gonna give this team a chance to win ?

As far as wood goes, yes he having a terrible season but he had a decent one last year and should be given a shot at seeing if he could turn it around next year

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seriously ????

The guy has a 5.22 ERA in his 51 cubs starts with a 1.50 Whip
Averaging just over 5 IP per start

How many games do you think he gonna give this team a chance to win ?

As far as wood goes, yes he having a terrible season but he had a decent one last year and should be given a shot at seeing if he could turn it around next year

Wood is just not a good pitcher. He was incredibly lucky last year with a .248 BABIP. Jackson has been the most unlucky pitcher in baseball. His BABIP is .345. I think he's worth holding onto to see if that regresses to the mean, considering that he won't net us jack shit.