IST: Soler v Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs could put one of the youngest lineups together next year. With this, we need to be somewhat forgiving, imo, as they will make these kinds of mistakes. It's somewhat unrealistic to expect more from a 21-24 yo lineup, especially one with so much potential.

I am speaking solely of Starlin Castro, who is in his 5th major league season.

I fully expect rookie mistakes next year, and will live with that. But Castro has made many base running blunders this year. It isn't a mistake of being too aggressive. It's simply not knowing the game. Thus my call for classroom instruction. I am not joking. get him off the field and in front of a white board. Teach like football teams do.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That makes absolutely no difference. Castro should've been on his way to second. If the ball's caught, he's out anyway, and Baez can easily tag and get into scoring position for a passed ball or wild pitch. If it's not, as it wasn't, Baez still advances to third because of how deep the ball went and Castro's on second. Baez did the right thing, Castro fucked up.

Agreed.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Earliest castro could be traded would be off season 2015 and that only if they feel they have a guaranteed better replacement and only for a TOR starter

I am not one pushing for a trade of Castro. (If O was, I wouldn't care so much about the mental mistakes he makes)

But why is 2015 offseason the earliest he could be traded? Baez could play short. Alcantara could probably move there, though unlikely. And who is to say Russell isn't up before then?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I am not one pushing for a trade of Castro. (If O was, I wouldn't care so much about the mental mistakes he makes)

But why is 2015 offseason the earliest he could be traded? Baez could play short. Alcantara could probably move there, though unlikely. And who is to say Russell isn't up before then?
Why are you so quick to get rid of his offense? The bullpen looks to be something much better than a blowpen in 2015. Arrieta, Hendricks and Wada (provided both look decent second time through teams) and Wood (seems to be rebounding now) are decent and there are several TOR in FA this off-season.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why are you so quick to get rid of his offense? The bullpen looks to be something much better than a blowpen in 2015. Arrieta, Hendricks and Wada (provided both look decent second time through teams) and Wood (seems to be rebounding now) are decent and there are several TOR in FA this off-season.

Earliest Russell will be up is September of 2015. There is no need to rush him and he is very young. People remember Profar? He isnt a bust by no means yet but he didnt come up and light up the world like people thought. Dont bank on one guy taking anothers guy place. Let them prove it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Because you want at least 1 full year of Baez to get a feel if he going to be a major league hitter or not, and he doing fine at 2B.

Addison Russell just 20 YO, he probably starts in AA and move to AAA by may/june depending on how he does.. no reason to rush him up..
if he rocking AAA, they can call him up in September and make a decision in off season between him and castro if need to.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
NA, Russell starts in AAA. He has been dominating AA.

Almora has struggled. I expect him to be the guy to stew more.

It would be STUPID to trade before legit options are ready. If they move Alcantara to 2B who plays CF? So they lose Castro to open CF? Not to bright Sherlock.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Now a legit option is promoting Bryant then moving Baez to SS THEN Valbuena to 2B. BUT you add at 3B while subtract MI production.

Right now all they have to do is let Russell's production in AAA dictate their thought process. If he is looking like a .300 20 HR type as he is now with error free play then yes it forces a move.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Now a legit option is promoting Bryant then moving Baez to SS THEN Valbuena to 2B. BUT you add at 3B while subtract MI production.
I'd rather see what Watkins could do at 2B before that scenario.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'd rather see what Watkins could do at 2B before that scenario.

Same. You lose in the MI.

Valbuena=back up UI.
Watkins=unproven league UI
Szczur=unproven 4th OF
Coghlan=proven 4th OF.

Get the pix.

Castro= proven starting SS with 3 AS games.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Same. You lose in the MI.

Valbuena=back up UI.
Watkins=unproven league UI
Szczur=unproven 4th OF
Coghlan=proven 4th OF.

Get the pix.

Agreed...almost. I think Watkins provides better defense than Valbuena.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Best case time line:

Til end of year:
Status Que

S/T Bryant 3B and Russell SS in Iowa. Bryant up after super 2. Russell depends on how he adapts to the league.

Almora and Schwarber in Tenn. Again promotion is based off of production. Most likely both end up in Iowa like Bryant did and are held back for 2016 super 2 to pass.

Russell I believe will be treated like Baez was. Promoted after trade deadline. I expect Castro traded for pitching. Russell promoted. If it goes the other way it would have to be a TOR with control. That means not a rental for the drive. Theo has not played his cards that way to this point and I doubt they make a panic based decision like that.

Now a logic based decision? Russell for a TOR with 4-5 years of control at cheap cost? Sure. Or Castro for a few quality arms sure.

The thing is Castro would get less value in return than Russell. Castro has holes in his game that are known but he is worth say Wheeler from the Mets. Noah is another. Both are solid projections.

Still best solution is to let it play out. If Russell dominates Iowa then get the best return for Castro. Matters little in position just best prospects package (as they did with Shark), then promote Russell in Aug 2015. Just in D alone he stabilizes the MI and we shouldn't end up losing production at the plate.

Overall the team should end up pretty decent next year and there should be enough of a RH presence that this switch should have minimal impact to the O in general.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

If you are into it, given his career WAR, it says more about the strength of the position then it does of the man playing the position.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If you are into it, given his career WAR, it says more about the strength of the position then it does of the man playing the position.

I believe the avg wOBA was .310 at SS. His is at .335. wOBA is the best O metric out there right now. His D does drag him down and his mental gaffs are there but those are the holes in his game. wOBA wise he is well above the league avg at SS. For that matter DH and 1B lead the pack and those wOBA are at .330-335. He is those ranges.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Did you miss the part where I said I am NOT for trading Castro?

I am for kicking him in the butt and pulling his head from his ass.

And, FWIW, I don't think Wood can be considered "rebounding" when he gets one win, at the expense of the reeling reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.