IST: Soler v Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wow! Baez hits a screaming liner. Castro thinks he hits a homerun and only gets a single. Dumb play. Ball hits the wall and Baez doesnt score and Castro has a single.

It's waaaayyy beyond unacceptable for him to make the mistakes he does on the bases.

Someone needs to sit him down in a CLASSROOM setting, and teach him Baseball 101. When to go to 2nd on a single and throw home; when to / how to tag up properly, etc. The basics.

Then show him film of the right way and wrong way and the effect of it. Show him 50 examples. Or 100.

Fuck the batting cage and swinging for the fences. We need a CLASSROOM setting and real instruction!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Just got a better look at that play. Not much hustle from Castro but it didn't make any difference as Baez screwed up by going back to second instead of going half way and staying there. Castro had to hold first because Baez was at second. Rookie mistake.....best to be doing it now in a lost season. Another reason why these kids have to be up here to learn.

I would argue that going half way is a mistake, and staying at 2nd in order to tag would be correct. But that assumes you score from 2nd if not caught. Or go part way, and still tag if caught.

Earlier this year, Castro went half way, then only part way back as he watched. He then just walked back to 2nd when caught, even though he should have easily advanced.

But Castro's baserunning has been an issue multiple times. It won't miraculously be solved by benching him. He will pout, and learn nothing. They can't expect him to just suddenly "get it" after a benching. They need to INSTRUCT him, because he clearly hasn't learned this stuff yet.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just got a better look at that play. Not much hustle from Castro but it didn't make any difference as Baez screwed up by going back to second instead of going half way and staying there. Castro had to hold first because Baez was at second. Rookie mistake.....best to be doing it now in a lost season. Another reason why these kids have to be up here to learn.
Huh ? Baez holding by 2nd had nothing to do with Castro watching the ball at homeplate after he hit it and jogging to first..
Baez could've been standing on top of the base and still made it to 3rd, castro has no excuse or anyone to blame but himself for not making it to 2B.
Baez didn't make any rookie mistake, he held his ground to tag cause it looked as if Hamilton had a beat on it , and only reason he didn't score was cause ball hit wall and bounced right up to him and he quickly got it back in

Wellington Castillo would've made it to 2nd base just by running after he hit it, so castro easily makes it even if he runs hard after watching it and not jog to first..

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
It's waaaayyy beyond unacceptable for him to make the mistakes he does on the bases.

Someone needs to sit him down in a CLASSROOM setting, and teach him Baseball 101. When to go to 2nd on a single and throw home; when to / how to tag up properly, etc. The basics.

Then show him film of the right way and wrong way and the effect of it. Show him 50 examples. Or 100.

Fuck the batting cage and swinging for the fences. We need a CLASSROOM setting and real instruction!

I think the Cubs could put one of the youngest lineups together next year. With this, we need to be somewhat forgiving, imo, as they will make these kinds of mistakes. It's somewhat unrealistic to expect more from a 21-24 yo lineup, especially one with so much potential.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs could put one of the youngest lineups together next year. With this, we need to be somewhat forgiving, imo, as they will make these kinds of mistakes. It's somewhat unrealistic to expect more from a 21-24 yo lineup, especially one with so much potential.
Im a big castro fan and all but I will call him out when he screws up.. he screwed up tonight and that 1 run could've been the difference if not for the homerun in bottom of inning..

Castro in his 5th year, though he young in age 24, he not young in major league experience. He made these mistakes before and obviously hasnt learned from it yet.. even though he 24, he has thev5 yrs of experience and is being looked at as one of the leaders on this team with the young guys coming up.
He with rizzo and Castillo are going to be looked upon to lead by example with these kids.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

He has been in the league for 4 years. That is long enough to figure it out. Not the brightest light bulb

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
Im a big castro fan and all but I will call him out when he screws up.. he screwed up tonight and that 1 run could've been the difference if not for the homerun in bottom of inning..

Castro in his 5th year, though he young in age 24, he not young in major league experience. He made these mistakes before and obviously hasnt learned from it yet.. even though he 24, he has thev5 yrs of experience and is being looked at as one of the leaders on this team with the young guys coming up.
He with rizzo and Castillo are going to be looked upon to lead by example with these kids.

I was referring to Baez. Imo, Castro is trade bait. I didn't include him in my response.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I was referring to Baez. Imo, Castro is trade bait. I didn't include him in my response.
Ok.. but I dont think Baez made a mistake..

He turned to see if Hamilton had a play on ball which at first it looked as if he did, which is why he was closer to bag for a possible tag. Like i said, only reason he doesn't score is because Hamilton played the ball well off the wall, got a good bounce, and got it back in quickly.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I don't think this should make Castro trade bait. Sure he made a big mistake and if this were a playoff race, I'd understand the anger but he just got back from a personal tragedy. These used to be common place with Castro and now it is a huge deal when this happens. He has grown a lot, we see that in his AB's as well as his improvement in the field.

Although Russell likely becomes the SS, I would hope Castro remains with the team. I still think in a perfect world Russell plays 3B, with Bryant in LF, and Schwarber behind the plate. Meaning Castro, Baez, and Rizzo round out the infield

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would argue that going half way is a mistake, and staying at 2nd in order to tag would be correct. But that assumes you score from 2nd if not caught. Or go part way, and still tag if caught.

Earlier this year, Castro went half way, then only part way back as he watched. He then just walked back to 2nd when caught, even though he should have easily advanced.

But Castro's baserunning has been an issue multiple times. It won't miraculously be solved by benching him. He will pout, and learn nothing. They can't expect him to just suddenly "get it" after a benching. They need to INSTRUCT him, because he clearly hasn't learned this stuff yet.

In a one run game, I'd agree with you but he's got to score if the ball falls in and vacate second base in a two run game as Castro's run ties it. Castro's dogging it didn't help him getting to second but he stopped because Baez was standing there. Bad base running all around but again, better now than later.

One thing about Castro.....if he stays healthy and averages about 175 hits a year and plays till he's 36 or 37, he'll have over 3000 lifetime hits. I think the only player with 3000 hits not in the Hall of Fame is Pete Rose.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
Ok.. but I dont think Baez made a mistake..

He turned to see if Hamilton had a play on ball which at first it looked as if he did, which is why he was closer to bag for a possible tag. Like i said, only reason he doesn't score is because Hamilton played the ball well off the wall, got a good bounce, and got it back in quickly.

OK, imo Baez should have been half way as he's still in scoring position from 2nd. I'm not sure you want to run yourself out of an inning down on the road.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
I don't think this should make Castro trade bait. Sure he made a big mistake and if this were a playoff race, I'd understand the anger but he just got back from a personal tragedy. These used to be common place with Castro and now it is a huge deal when this happens. He has grown a lot, we see that in his AB's as well as his improvement in the field.

Although Russell likely becomes the SS, I would hope Castro remains with the team. I still think in a perfect world Russell plays 3B, with Bryant in LF, and Schwarber behind the plate. Meaning Castro, Baez, and Rizzo round out the infield

It's not this one play that makes Castro trade bait. It's the fact he keeps on doing this that does, imo. If it was a one time thing, I would agree, but it's not. I totally disagree that a 'perfect world' comes with Bryant at LF. In my perfect world, he would play 3B great and give us a 6'5" guy on the hot corner.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
OK, imo Baez should have been half way as he's still in scoring position from 2nd. I'm not sure you want to run yourself out of an inning down on the road.
I guess we will just agree to disagree here on baez..

One run or tie game then yes he should be half way to be able to score easy to tie it up or take lead.
Cause your right he still in scoring position at 2B if ball is caught.

Being they were down two, him looking to tag if ball was caught ,IMO was acceptable.

Castro being the tie run in that situation, not making it to 2B because he watched and then jogged on top of that was unacceptable.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

That makes absolutely no difference. Castro should've been on his way to second. If the ball's caught, he's out anyway, and Baez can easily tag and get into scoring position for a passed ball or wild pitch. If it's not, as it wasn't, Baez still advances to third because of how deep the ball went and Castro's on second. Baez did the right thing, Castro fucked up.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro has cut down the mental mistakes big time this year, but he fucked up last night. He should have ran. It seems like Hamilton duped Baez and him. I thought he was going to catch it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs tallied in the eighth against Jonathan Broxton on a two-run double by Baez. Castro then smacked a long hit off the center-field wall, but only made it to first base while sending Baez to third. It may have proved costly as Soler then drove in Baez from third on a single before Welington Castillo grounded into an inning-ending double play.

"He feels bad," Cubs manager Rick Renteria said of Castro, who returned from the bereavement list on Tuesday. "He knows. He's apologizing to everybody about not getting over there. He's got a lot of things on his mind, and he's out there doing the best he can.

"When a young man tells you he's made a mistake, it's very hard to do anything other than accept it. Quite frankly, there were a host of things prior to that, and part of that whole ballgame, that put us in the position we were in."

Baez nearly made up for the mistake with two outs and two on in the ninth, when he flied out to deep center.

"It sounded good," Renteria said.

"I had to take a couple of steps back, and I got a little scared; it sounded so loud and it was really high, but, the ball jumps off his bat no matter where he hits it to," Reds center fielder Billy Hamilton said. "I was just talking to [someone] about how his foul balls go up in the third deck every time he hits a foul ball off to the right. The guy has some power. And he had power coming in at him; all he had to do was touch it a little bit. But we got the win, and we did a good job."

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Castro is trade bait? Where do people come up with this stuff? Castro is not going anywhere except the 6 hole in the cubs lineup next season. He is a 3x AS not in the prime power years yet. While Castro could have hustled more, as Renteria mentioned, he has a lot on his mind right now. I'm surprised he has produced as well as he has the past couple of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.