It is Pretty Much Over Now ... Let's Start Offseason Talk

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Whatever they do, they need wing players who can defend the perimeter. They got absolutely killed this year defensively and also with the lack of a true point guard. I move Butler back to the 3 and trade for a point guard and a good two way shooting guard. Having Dunleavy and Hinrich on this team next year in anykind of large minute capacity will kill it for me. They have assets to trade. They should have done it last year but didn't and they got killed in the play-offs by not having wing players who can defend.

The assets to be traded are from an inventory of Gasol, Noah, Gibson, and McDermott(if they can get anything for him). They also have draft picks(Sacramento's pick is coming up soon I think). They need a better balanced team with some kind of floor leader which they do not have.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IF they fire Thibs and keep Paxson, it will be a joke and not a funny one. Paxson put this unbalanced team together and while Thibs has his faults, if he goes, then Paxson needs to go also. ALl season this team was top heavy with bigs and lacking in smalls with ability to defend.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
When looking at the salary structure the Bulls have, they are clearly in for a full rebuild after next season. Gibson will be gone this offseason. Noah and Hinrich expire after next year. Gasol and Rose only have two more seasons in Chicago. I would not resign Rose because you cannot win with him as the PG. His athleticism will also start to wane. The only guys left standing are Butler, Mirotic, and McDermott from the current roster. Get ready for some lean years ahead.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
I wish they tell Tom, listen, yoy can be fired or hire one offensive minded assistant from the three we choose. You are the coach, and we believe in you, but you need to do better and we are giving you that help.". Then, if he's a dick about it, say there's the door.
I will totally understand if he's fired, I won't love it, and will count down the days until Orlando passes the bulls as the superior team.

Taj leaves this summer, for less than he could've gotten last year. Noah stays because no one wants his broken down body, but after more rehab he has a bounce back year. Other than that, idk. Honestly I don't care that much. No matter what stupid shit they pull I still root for them. And at least they didn't get Melo and handicap our future.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
IF they fire Thibs and keep Paxson, it will be a joke and not a funny one. Paxson put this unbalanced team together and while Thibs has his faults, if he goes, then Paxson needs to go also. ALl season this team was top heavy with bigs and lacking in smalls with ability to defend.

I agree with this. You should only get one coaching hire. jerry angelo got one lovie smith. Emery got one: trestman. Paxson has had skiles, vdn, thibs, and now another guy. How many coaches does one gm get to hire before getting an axe.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I agree with this. You should only get one coaching hire. jerry angelo got one lovie smith. Emery got one: trestman. Paxson has had skiles, vdn, thibs, and now another guy. How many coaches does one gm get to hire before getting an axe.
The NBA isn't the NFL.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
No difference. You get one coaching hire. That's it. Being able to select the right coach is as important as selecting the right players.
About 29 teams in the NBA need new GMs.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Spurs GM is the only GM in the league to NEVER hire a coach. Brave to him :clap: Purely amazing to win 4 championships without ever hiring a coach!

Pat Riley needs to fire himself for hiring Stan Van Gundy, firing him to hire himself winning a championship, then re-signing himself to hire Erik Spolestra and winning two more championships.

Mitch Kupchak needs to fire himself for letting Phil Jackson "retire" then hiring Tomjonovic, whom flamed out, then hiring Phil Jackson back who won him 2 more championships.

Danny Ainge, need to fire him for trading away Doc Rivers.

Donnie Nelson in Dallas needs to fire himself too for having more than one head coach hire.

Oh and Phil Jackson should have never been coach of the Bulls because Jerry Krause should have fired himself after Stan Albeck was a failure let alone Doug Collins.

Last edited:

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Rumors abound of course but as far as the talk of Thibs, he's not going to get fired because the Bulls don't want to pay him for 2 years. If New Orleans is hot to get him they'll have to trade but they don't have a 1st round pick or their seconds for the next 2 years though they do have one.

So what could the Bulls get in return? Norris Cole has a $3.2 million qualifying offer. A backup point guard who can score or pass on a one year deal just like Nate, CJ, Aaron before him would be something of value. Cole has played in big games for the Heat so he's been tested. Maybe he would be the one to stay beyond one year. The rest of their roster that could be available doesn't do much for the Bulls.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Cole is trash i'd rather have a 2nd

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't think you can trade coaches for players.. I remember that coming up in the Doc Rivers trade discussions.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I hated how the season ended just as much as everyone else but I don't get all the negativity....or maybe I'm just completely delusional.

I think the Bulls can still compete next year. Rose had just come off another surgery and had several games where he looked fantastic. For whatever reason he checked out of the Cavs game early before it was even over when we still had a chance. If he still stays healthy, we have him, arguably the 2nd best 2 guard in Jimmy( who's getting better, Mirotic, who at times looked like a flat out star, Snell, McDermott, etc.

We have a lot of young good players that are going to get better. The Warriors went from a decent team to on the cusp of an all time great one with the change of a coach. Why can't we?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Rumors abound of course but as far as the talk of Thibs, he's not going to get fired because the Bulls don't want to pay him for 2 years. If New Orleans is hot to get him they'll have to trade but they don't have a 1st round pick or their seconds for the next 2 years though they do have one.

So what could the Bulls get in return? Norris Cole has a $3.2 million qualifying offer. A backup point guard who can score or pass on a one year deal just like Nate, CJ, Aaron before him would be something of value. Cole has played in big games for the Heat so he's been tested. Maybe he would be the one to stay beyond one year. The rest of their roster that could be available doesn't do much for the Bulls.

If NOLA really wants Thibs, they could easily trade for a 1st rounder to reacquire one to send to Chicago. They have a lot of nice young pieces that could be easily traded.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I hated how the season ended just as much as everyone else but I don't get all the negativity....or maybe I'm just completely delusional.

I think the Bulls can still compete next year. Rose had just come off another surgery and had several games where he looked fantastic. For whatever reason he checked out of the Cavs game early before it was even over when we still had a chance. If he still stays healthy, we have him, arguably the 2nd best 2 guard in Jimmy( who's getting better, Mirotic, who at times looked like a flat out star, Snell, McDermott, etc.

We have a lot of young good players that are going to get better. The Warriors went from a decent team to on the cusp of an all time great one with the change of a coach. Why can't we?

you're completely delusional...this roster is tired and beat...they couldn't even beat a hobbled Cleveland

its time to blow it up...if they bring this roster back next year im only gonna loosely follow them as i really have no interest watching these players anymore and ready for a overhaul

that Warriors squad was dripping with potential...we got a roster of old washed up hacks

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Maybe it's just me but I actually applaud what Garpax has done with this team. I don't think the talent was the problem with this team. I thought this team had a great balance of offensive and defensive talent. Gasol, Dunleavy, Mirotic, McDermott, Rose and Butler are all threats offensively.

The problem was a combination of Thibs coaching, injury to Pau at the wrong time and the poor play of the Bulls bench against the Cavs.

I have always been a fan of Thibs but I don't think the players are responding to him like they used to and the offensive sets are horrible.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't think you can trade coaches for players.. I remember that coming up in the Doc Rivers trade discussions.

Just another example of the ineptitude of GarPax.