1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Daytona going to the finals! Edwards/Searle tandem carried no-no into the 9th inning before Searle allowed 2 1-out singles. Boise leading 8-4 despite Underwood allowing 3 in 1.1 IP.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Daytona going to the finals! Edwards/Searle tandem carried no-no into the 9th inning before Searle allowed 2 1-out singles. Boise leading 8-4 despite Underwood allowing 3 in 1.1 IP.

Tennessee looks to advance in the playoffs tonight. They are all tied up 2-2 in a best-of-five series with Birmingham. Baez is coming off an 0-5 night. Lets see if he rebounds and the Smokies can move on.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Daytona and Boise a win away from championships. Boise and Tennessee in deciding games of their respective series.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs prospect C.J. Edwards has come out of nowhere

BY GORDON WITTENMYER September 10, 2013 9:45PM

PROSPERITY, S.C. — Ask anyone at the Waffle House in Newberry, S.C., and they can tell you how to find Prosperity.

“Just go down this road to the Shell and turn left. You’ll see a little green sign.”

But ask what the biggest thing might be to see in a town so small it doesn’t show up on most maps, and you’ll hear laughs.

“Big? In Prosperity? Well, they got a Piggly Wiggly.”

Turns out that’s a stretch because you can’t even see it once you find the weather-beaten gazebo and the slow drip of the fountain at the town center.

Besides, the biggest thing in Prosperity these days is C.J. Edwards.

“Everybody knows C.J., especially since he started playing baseball,” says Prosperity Drug store customer Kayla Dewelt, a former classmate of the Cubs’ pitching prospect. “He’s like our celebrity in town.”

“Hit the mitt, C.J.! Hit the mitt!”

Carl Edwards, a one-time college pitcher from one of the most talented baseball families in the area, took his eldest son in the field behind the house for his first baseball lesson. The kid was just 3.

“I would bend down in the yard and I would tell C.J. I wasn’t going to move the mitt, and he just learned how to hit it,” Carl says. “I just worked on his control.”

Eighteen years later, on a storm-soaked field in Dunedin, Fla., a slender right-hander from the middle of South Carolina — and a few miles past the middle of nowhere — throws strike after strike in his playoff debut for the advanced Class A Daytona Cubs.

“He called me before the game and said, ‘My stomach hurts,’ ” says Sherry Bedenbaugh, a family friend whom C.J. calls his “white mama.” “He gets nervous before every game.”

This time, he has reason. Making up about half the crowd are Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts, general manager Jed Hoyer, assistant GM Randy Bush, two of the Cubs’ top three player-development bosses — Jason McLeod and Brandon Hyde — and Kerry Wood.

Nerves? Edwards strikes out the first four batters, seven of the first 10 and eight overall in the five innings he’s allowed to pitch — touching the mid-90s with sharp movement. Nobody gets a hit against him.

Hoyer and Wood use the same word to describe Edwards’ velocity: “Easy.”

Games like last week in Dunedin and last month in his Cubs-system debut, when he struck out the first seven he faced, show why the Cubs were so insistent Edwards be included in the four-for-one trade with the Texas Rangers for Matt Garza on July 22.

And why Edwards might be the prized prospect among the nine pitchers the Cubs acquired in trades this July. And why he could play a key role in their rebuilding efforts.

But very little beyond the ability, and that velocity, has come easy for Edwards *— least of all how the Rangers even found him.

“Hit the mitt, C.J.! Just throw to your Uncle Chuck! Hit the mitt!”

The familiar voice encouraged him from behind the backstop when a 15-year-old Edwards made his “Bush League” debut in the early innings of a game already getting away from his Newberry Pirates, delivering to his uncle, Calvin “Chuck” Edwards.

The “Bush League” is a tradition, if not a rite of passage, for the baseball men in the Edwards family.

While the city of Prosperity and its schools are more integrated than Chicago’s, the area’s all-black, adult sandlot league is reminiscent of the loosely formed town teams of the segregated South 70 years ago.

This is where Chris Kemp, an area scout for the Rangers and a junior-college coach in the region, discovered Edwards *— on a dusty, rutted field with rickety wood dugouts, along Highway 176, next to the old Rutherford Night Club.

“It’s like going back in time,” says Kemp, who heard of Edwards’ growing reputation through a couple of his JC players. “He came in and had like 12 strikeouts. I didn’t have my radar gun with me, but I knew, damn, this kid has a chance to throw hard.”

Kemp’s discovery came long after that debut at 15, when C.J. was called on to replace another uncle, Thomas, on the mound in a lopsided game against the Mapleton Black Sox.

“They had this dude on the other team named Downtown Brown,” Carl says, “and he was hitting them downtown.”

But with Carl behind the screen, and the usually quiet Chuck getting more animated with every strikeout by his nephew, the Pirates came all the way back to win.

“That Downtown Brown,” Carl says, “C.J. struck him out the next three times he came up.”

By the time Kemp got a look, the kid had a toughness and a poise from pitching against the men.

“I thought if we could get 30 pounds on this kid, something good could happen,” Kemp says. “It was almost like a scratch-off lottery ticket.”

So few scouts saw Edwards play in high school or during sporadic appearances for travel teams that the Rangers were able to wait until the 48th round — a round that no longer exists — to draft him in 2011.

Fewer still saw him in summer travel leagues because the family didn’t have the money for it. So he didn’t play until late, when coaches recruited him to play for free.

“He would have had a chance to be a first-rounder,” Cubs scouting executive Tim Wilken says.

Carl Edwards wasn’t happy about how late he was picked. “I was shocked,” he says.

But C.J. says, “I just wanted an opportunity, man. If I can get the opportunity, I can make things happen.”

If there was a chance Edwards wouldn’t sign, it disappeared at
4 a.m., three years ago this December, when C.J. got a call about the accident.

His best friend, Will Bedenbaugh — Sherry’s son — had been killed in a one-car accident on a trip back from Charleston Southern University. Edwards had planned to join him on the CSU baseball team after graduation that spring from Mid-Carolina High.

“After the funeral, that’s when I really started taking life itself — taking it more serious,” says C.J., who says a prayer for Will before every game. “After that day, that’s when everything turned.”

The Rangers offered a $50,000 signing bonus — exceptional for such a late pick. But not before Kemp got lost trying to find the Edwards’ trailer about six miles outside of town, on wooded acreage that has been in the family for generations.

“He had to pick me up on a dirt road,” Kemp recalls, “and I had to follow him on another dirt road.”

If C.J. gets to the big leagues — “when” he gets there, says his mother, Faith — he might finally put Prosperity on some of those maps.

Mark Bowers, who owns the Bowers BP station in town where Faith used to work, said he can’t remember anyone in his 59 years making it big out of Prosperity. “I think there was a junior-college basketball player, but I can’t think of his name,” Bowers says.

But those who know C.J., who still sings in the choir at the church where his mom is a minister, say he already has made a mark.

That doesn’t mean he has always been a choirboy. In eighth grade, with his grades slipping, C.J. talked smack to a teacher who confiscated his CD Walkman. Faith got a call from the school to meet with C.J. and the teacher.

“I told him, when that bus pulls up at 1310 Paradise Road, you best be on it,” she recalls. “And you will not be playing baseball this year.”

It was no idle threat. He didn’t play.

“After that, I didn’t have any more problems out of C.J.,” she says. “After that, no more talking back to the teacher, he did his work and kept his grades up.”

“He’s a better person than he is a pitcher,” says his high school football and baseball coach, Louie Alexander. “It’s the rearing. The big thing is they’re just great people. Good hard-working, country people.”

They call him “String Bean Slinger” — because of his 6-2, 145-pound frame in high school — or some version of “Satch.”

The comparisons to Satchel Paige and Oil Can Boyd are certain to follow Edwards to Class AA Tennessee next season, even if the Cubs’ training staff puts a few more hard pounds on his lean body during what it considers a pivotal offseason for his development.

At 6-3, 165 pounds on a heavy day, he still weighs 15 pounds less than the Hall of Famer Paige did when he pitched.

Edwards, who turned 22 on Sept. 3, has a career 15-5 record and 1.63 ERA in four minor-league stops over two seasons, including 10 scoreless playoff innings for Daytona in which he allowed one hit. He has 251 strikeouts and just 68 walks in 1931/3 innings.

But the most impressive fact might be this: A guy who throws that hard and throws that many pitches in the strike zone has yielded one home run.

“He is extremely driven,” Daytona manager Dave Keller says. “You can tell he doesn’t just want to be a pitcher in the big leagues. He wants to be somebody who makes a difference.”

Email: gwittenmyer@suntimes.com

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
When the trade went down, I knew Olt couldn't be the focal point. People were pointing to Edwards. What sold me on him was when Nolan Ryan was interviewed by his announcers. They asked him about the Garza trade and the first thing he said was he hated giving up Edwards and did not mention anyone else name. That told me that this guy had something to him. Ryan knew there was something with this kid. I am glad he is part of our farm. He has video game numbers.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
When the trade went down, I knew Olt couldn't be the focal point. People were pointing to Edwards. What sold me on him was when Nolan Ryan was interviewed by his announcers. They asked him about the Garza trade and the first thing he said was he hated giving up Edwards and did not mention anyone else name. That told me that this guy had something to him. Ryan knew there was something with this kid. I am glad he is part of our farm. He has video game numbers.

He had made MinorLeagueBall's mid-season top 75 prior to the trade while Olt hadn't... don't think many knew he was THIS good though.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
DPBL draft yesterday:
1st round: Jeimer Candelario (Agulas Cibaenas)
3rd round: Marco Hernandez (Tigres del Licey)
8th round: Ivan Pineyro (Estrellas Orientales)
11th round: Felix Pena (Estrellas Orientales)

BA Minor League Baseball All-Star Teams:
1st team: Javier Baez (DH), C.J. Edwards (SP3)
2nd team: Kyle Hendricks (SP2)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hold on to your nuts. Another CJ Edwards article. This one is kind of mind blowing. He is really getting ranked high.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/09/13/cubs-pitching-prospect-c-j-edwards-is-getting-a-whole-lot-of-love/

Chicago Cubs pitching prospect C.J. Edwards was already ascending the prospect rankings when the Cubs nabbed him from the Rangers in July as part of the Matt Garza trade. Although he was but a 48th round flyer in the 2011 Draft for the Rangers, Edwards quickly emerged as a quality arm. He’s always been skinny – he’s currently listed at 6’2″ and just 155 pounds – and was probably underrated in part for that reason.

After being drafted by the Rangers, Edwards refined his secondary pitches, and started dominating minor league hitters out of the gate. By the time the Cubs acquired him, Edwards was getting attention as a possible top 100 overall prospect from a few quarters. He’d posted a 1.83 ERA over 93.1 low-A innings with an 11.8 K/9 and a 3.3 BB/9.

And then the Cubs got him. They immediately promoted him to High-A Daytona, where he made six dominating starts, posting a 1.96 ERA, striking out 33 in just 23 innings, and walking only 7 (he also gave up his first professional home run). In the playoffs, although his innings were being watched carefully, he started twice, allowing no runs and just 1 hit and 3 walks in 10 innings. In those 10 innings, he struck out 11.

Against that backdrop, it’s no surprise that Edwards, 22, is getting a whole lot of post-season love. Not only was he named to the All-Star/All-Prospect lists from Baseball America and the executives/scouts polled by Jeff Passan, but he received exceedingly high praise in a couple of recent chats.

Keith Law was asked about Edwards yesterday, and he described the right as a “potential star,” who is “athletic and does it all very easy.” Although Law cautioned that the weight/durability questions are legitimate, he went so far as to compare Edwards favorably to big-time Mets pitching prospect Noah Syndergaard. The latter is further along and has a better fastball, but Edwards has “far better breaking ball.” From the sound of Law’s thoughts, he’s putting Edwards in the same tier of pitching prospects as Syndergaard, who is believed by most to be a clear top 50 prospect.

If that’s high praise from Law, then Baseball America’s John Manuel is effusive.

When asked whether Syndergaard received any player of the year consideration by BA, Manuel says that he did not, instead noting that ”I believe the pitchers at the top of our list were Archie Bradley and C.J. Edwards, Bradley for his success at a tender age at a challenging Double-A level, Edwards for sheer dominance. To me those were the best seasons by top pitching prospects.” Manuel goes on to imply that his top three pitching prospects – in all of baseball – are Bradley, Taijuan Walker, and Edwards.

(!!!!!)

On the Edwards/Syndergaard comparison, specifically, Manuel followed up: “Similar fastballs, Syndergaard probably has a bit better fastball due to the angle he creates to the plate, consistent velo and control, but Edwards at his best has the better curveball and secondary stuff, and he throws plenty hard.”

If, as the scouting reports roll in and post-season analysis is done, Edwards is now considered a top 10 pitching prospect in baseball (to say nothing of top three to five, as implied by Manuel and Law), that’ll place him easily within the top 30 prospects in all of baseball. In other words, he’d be right there in the same range as The Big Four (Javier Baez, Albert Almora, Kris Bryant, Jorge Soler).

I mean, I don't even...

:fap::fap::fap:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
UPDATE: BP’s Jason Parks offers his take (in response to this post), at least as far as the Edwards/Syndergaard comparison goes: “Edwards is a nice prospect, but his name doesn’t belong in the same sentence as Syndergaard. Not even close. I really like [Edwards'] arm; very easy and crisp. Both CB/CH flash. But putting a TORP label on him has little merit. Obviously, the body is a concern for me, and it will take a heavy workload to prove durability. I don’t see a 200IP body.”

It’s not hard to see that the range of evaluations on Edwards going into 2014 is probably going to be rather broad. Keep in mind: Syndergaard just reached AA at age 20, and put up a 5.75 K/BB ratio over 54 innings. Kid’s a stud. Being compared unfavorably to him is no insult to Edwards.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So sounding like Baez, Bryant, Almora, Soler (duh... duh... duh... and duh...) plus Alcantara and Edwards are pretty much guaranteed Top 100's, whilst Johnson, Vogelbach, and maybe Olt still have "chances" to be.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
So sounding like Baez, Bryant, Almora, Soler (duh... duh... duh... and duh...) plus Alcantara and Edwards are pretty much guaranteed Top 100's, whilst Johnson, Vogelbach, and maybe Olt still have "chances" to be.

What about Kyle Hendricks?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
What about Kyle Hendricks?

I like him, but I don't know if he'll get that much of an honor. He was good, no doubt, but Top 100 seems like a longshot, especially when Johnson may not even get in.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I like him, but I don't know if he'll get that much of an honor. He was good, no doubt, but Top 100 seems like a longshot, especially when Johnson may not even get in.

Considering Hendricks between AA and AAA had 128 SO's versus 34 BB's, a .185 and .248 ERA respectively, a 1.04 WHIP, and only 5 HR's given up in 166 innings pitched is pretty stout anywhere.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alcantara is a fringe top 75 to 100 player. Ramirez I don't think will make the list. Volgy has a shot to be the best first baseman prospect in the minors. He has had the better season. He could sneak in the top 100, but his frame is what will always deter the naysayers. Edwards is going to be up and down on different peoples list. I think Baez is a top 5 prospect now but who knows.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Considering Hendricks between AA and AAA had 128 SO's versus 34 BB's, a .185 and .248 ERA respectively, a 1.04 WHIP, and only 5 HR's given up in 166 innings pitched is pretty stout anywhere.

Top 100 is about season as well a potential. Hendricks is considered a middle of the rotation type of guy. That's why you wont see him on the list. Solid player, but not a lot of ceiling but not a real low floor.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Alcantara is a fringe top 75 to 100 player. Ramirez I don't think will make the list. Volgy has a shot to be the best first baseman prospect in the minors. He has had the better season. He could sneak in the top 100, but his frame is what will always deter the naysayers. Edwards is going to be up and down on different peoples list. I think Baez is a top 5 prospect now but who knows.

Alcantara was ranked around 57-58 on multiple mid-season lists. :shrug:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alcantara was ranked around 57-58 on multiple mid-season lists. :shrug:

I felt like he slipped in the second half and his K's went up. He could be ranked there but in my opinion I would think of him in the range I said. But, what do I know. Im just a message board Hero!

:elephant:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I felt like he slipped in the second half and his K's went up. He could be ranked there but in my opinion I would think of him in the range I said. But, what do I know. Im just a message board Hero!

:elephant:

I do agree with the slip in the 2nd half, fair point.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez will start at AAA next year according to Theo.

Status
Not open for further replies.