It's Another VogelBomb! 2013 Minor League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would expect Bryant to start at AA. Volgy to start at High A. Almora to start at High A. Soler to be in AA. And Alcantara could go either way. The Cubs are going to take there sweet time time with Almora and Volgelbach. Soler and Bryant could see time in September next year. Baez I expect by June or July.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez is going to miss the AFL. Hoyer said he needs rest. Vizcaino will also miss AFL and just go to instructional league. I guess to slowly bring him back. I think Almora will get a full time gig now. He was just on the taxi squad before

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez is going to miss the AFL. Hoyer said he needs rest. Vizcaino will also miss AFL and just go to instructional league. I guess to slowly bring him back. I think Almora will get a full time gig now. He was just on the taxi squad before

Sucks that Vizcaino is going to miss AFL. I really want to see him throwing again because his stuff is electric.

Baez skipping AFL is puzzling. He could just need rest but hard not to start turning the mental gears to see what the plan is for next year. Are they sitting him so he is fresher to make it through the full major league season (start in AAA up at some point between May and September)? Or are the sitting him because he needs rest and needs more time?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sucks that Vizcaino is going to miss AFL. I really want to see him throwing again because his stuff is electric.

Baez skipping AFL is puzzling. He could just need rest but hard not to start turning the mental gears to see what the plan is for next year. Are they sitting him so he is fresher to make it through the full major league season (start in AAA up at some point between May and September)? Or are the sitting him because he needs rest and needs more time?

My guess is rest for next year full season. He will start in AAA and then I think plans are a June callup. He may start a little slow at AAA, but he looks to be to the point with the only way he will be truly tested is against MLB pitching. I think they are resting him for the grind. Just my two cents.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
"The last thing we want him to do is go there and risk injury," Hoyer said. "He had a full season, he had a great season, and I feel we'll see him in Arizona working out."

So they do not want him to injure himself.

His little I feel we'll see him in Arz bit....makes ya wonder if they are thinking on bringing him up with the club early. 37 HR's in the minors is a big deal. Makes ya wonder if they are feeling the minors is not going to do much for him.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
"The last thing we want him to do is go there and risk injury," Hoyer said. "He had a full season, he had a great season, and I feel we'll see him in Arizona working out."

So they do not want him to injure himself.

His little I feel we'll see him in Arz bit....makes ya wonder if they are thinking on bringing him up with the club early. 37 HR's in the minors is a big deal. Makes ya wonder if they are feeling the minors is not going to do much for him.

I think it was Jason Parks or maybe a guy like him who said he expects Baez to start a little slow at AAA. Then, will start raking where he will force the callup because no one believes that AAA will truly test him. The majors are the only place that will. I don't think they start with him, but I think a June call up like Rizzo is the plans.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'd agree with that S. But, if he bashes 10+ HR's in S/T with a good walk ratio. Pitchers then start to BB him to get around...AAA has not much to offer at that point and he may need the MLB talent to challenge him.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
In case you didn't see on WSD:

Cubs get none of AZL Top 20 prospects.
NWL came out today.

Bryant #1
Blackburn #7
Balaguert #9
Maples #10
Dunston Jr. #12
Encarnacion #17

Cubs got 6 on list
Mariners got 4
Diamondbacks got 3
Rangers got 2
Blue Jays got 2
Padres got 1
Giants got 1
Rockies got 1

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, Calis said of all the last place teams the Cubs are the cloeset ones to making the jump. That's out of the White Sox, Marlins, Rockies, Blue Jays and Astros. The Astros and Twins are still rated better farm systems, however. But the Cubs have closer players to making the jump by farm.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/ripken-cubs-need-be-patient-javier-baez

Ripken: Cubs need to be patient with Javier Baez

Javier Baez's stunning 2013 season has Cubs fans excited that he might be the first of the "waves and waves" of minor league talent to reach the big leagues.

But Cal Ripken Jr. is pumping the brakes.

The Hall of Famer was on the David Kaplan Show on Wednesday night and when asked about the Cubs' top prospect, cautioned the 20-year-old shortstop might not be ready just yet, despite a 37-homer, 111-RBI season that included a .983 OPS in 54 games with Double-A Tennessee. But Baez also committed 44 errors and sported a .932 fielding percentage, numbers that caught Ripken's eye.

"I would argue he's not (close to being ready)," Ripken said. "If he's making (44) errors, then he needs some development. We all go through learning ourselves. I made 30-something errors in rookie ball through my first 60 games. It's like you're making an error every game.

"You start to learn about the game speed, about yourself and how much time you really have with fast or slow runners. You start to make plays more consistently."

[MORE: Cal Ripken Jr. says he would listen if Cubs came calling]

Ripken played 443 minor league games before making his MLB debut in 1981. Baez only has 215 games under his belt through three minor league seasons.

"You do have to work at it, and you do have to have that game experience," Ripken said. "So maybe he's a little bit more advanced with the bat right now, and that makes you want to feel like you want to rush him there.

"But making that many errors in the big leagues is not healthy for the player or for the team. I would tend to make some improvements in the defense and cut down on those errors. It's the total package you want to bring to the big leagues."

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/ripken-cubs-need-be-patient-javier-baez

Ripken: Cubs need to be patient with Javier Baez

Javier Baez's stunning 2013 season has Cubs fans excited that he might be the first of the "waves and waves" of minor league talent to reach the big leagues.

But Cal Ripken Jr. is pumping the brakes.

The Hall of Famer was on the David Kaplan Show on Wednesday night and when asked about the Cubs' top prospect, cautioned the 20-year-old shortstop might not be ready just yet, despite a 37-homer, 111-RBI season that included a .983 OPS in 54 games with Double-A Tennessee. But Baez also committed 44 errors and sported a .932 fielding percentage, numbers that caught Ripken's eye.

"I would argue he's not (close to being ready)," Ripken said. "If he's making (44) errors, then he needs some development. We all go through learning ourselves. I made 30-something errors in rookie ball through my first 60 games. It's like you're making an error every game.

"You start to learn about the game speed, about yourself and how much time you really have with fast or slow runners. You start to make plays more consistently."

[MORE: Cal Ripken Jr. says he would listen if Cubs came calling]

Ripken played 443 minor league games before making his MLB debut in 1981. Baez only has 215 games under his belt through three minor league seasons.

"You do have to work at it, and you do have to have that game experience," Ripken said. "So maybe he's a little bit more advanced with the bat right now, and that makes you want to feel like you want to rush him there.

"But making that many errors in the big leagues is not healthy for the player or for the team. I would tend to make some improvements in the defense and cut down on those errors. It's the total package you want to bring to the big leagues."

Sounds like Castro, even though Piniella and Hendry claimed he was called up solely to improve the defense at the time :shifty:

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Sounds like Castro, even though Piniella and Hendry claimed he was called up solely to improve the defense at the time :shifty:

Put him at 2nd base or left field and watch the errors go down. The Cubs can eventually find a defensive shortstop. The Cubs are just wanting to have that plus-plus guy that does both.

The Cubs would like him to have great defense, but I am sure they will find a sweet spot for him to play regardless. Baez that is.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Put him at 2nd base or left field and watch the errors go down. The Cubs can eventually find a defensive shortstop. The Cubs are just wanting to have that plus-plus guy that does both.

The Cubs would like him to have great defense, but I am sure they will find a sweet spot for him to play regardless. Baez that is.

I agree. I believe Castro has made that adjustment this year but it is under the radar with his Avg taking a dive. I believe that Castro is long term there.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I kinda hope we will see Baez, Soler, Almora and Bryant in ST, plus Alcantra. We'll see Baez, Soler and prolly Brant for sure. Alcantra a good shot too. I'm not too sure on Almora.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/21989238/baseball-payrolls-list

Look at the final 4 in playoffs!! ALL BIG MARKETS!!!! LAD 2, BOS 4, DET 5, STL 11... Dont tell me that payroll dont matter. Cubs need to act like a Big Market they are and spend some money. Ricketts is a cheapass!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant just rely on the prospects. Have to spend money like a Big Market!!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/21989238/baseball-payrolls-list

Look at the final 4 in playoffs!! ALL BIG MARKETS!!!! LAD 2, BOS 4, DET 5, STL 11... Dont tell me that payroll dont matter. Cubs need to act like a Big Market they are and spend some money. Ricketts is a cheapass!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant just rely on the prospects. Have to spend money like a Big Market!!
And each one of those teams developed at least one player far beyond either Shark or Castro or Rizzo. No one smart thinks it is entirely going to be prospects but none of these teams are purely bought either. Even the Dodgers best player is home-grown.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya it takes drafting/developing. And signing F/A to shore up team weakness. Not over pay on a team and block any development.

You would figure it out by now that the Ricketts are devoting resource into development (new S/T facility/D.R. Facility). Stadium issues etc. there has been no word on spending on F/A to keep up with the Jones'. If anything they have said that they can not do this. When they spent market value on Jackson it blew up in their faces. They tried Sanchez and he used them to get more cash..... That should tell you what named F/A's are thinking with the Cubs. Leverage to get more cash out of contenders.

So take a note from what has happened and wise up some. They are building from with in. When the team looks like a young talented team vs a team in transition then F/A may want to be a part of it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
When they spent market value on Jackson it blew up in their faces.

This is probably a bit unfair. He was a 2 WAR player this year. That's league average meaning a guy on the 25 man roster. The going rate for a league average player is around $5-6 mil in FA. So with an annual value of $13 mil/year he is over paid. But, to live up to $13 he basically just needs to be a 3 WAR pitcher as 1 win is worth about $6 mil in FA. In 3 of the previous 4 seasons before this he put up 3.5 WAR although not in 2012. If he puts up 3.5 war the next 3 he'd live up to the contract.

Even if he doesn't, he eats up innings which in of itself has value considering what the alternatives the cubs have to him are. So, while he had a tough year, I don't really think the cubs will regret the signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.