It's Another VogelBomb! 2013 Minor League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Like I said it was debatable. We won't know more until next year shakes out. Alacantra also has experience in the OF and could be shifted to CF. his LH bat with 15 HR/30 SB would look good leading off in a year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
All TN home games are part of the MiLB.tv package. It costs 40 bucks for the whole year and it has all AAA games and a bunch of games from lower levels. This year kind of sucked though because they dropped Boise from the package, but you can still see all I-Cubs games and over half of the Smokies games.

How much do I need to pay to NOT watch the Iowa Cubs? :)

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
...I can see Olt playing third for the Cubs, but I believe its only to get his trade value up. I wasn't a fan of Olt's last year and I am really low on him now. I think he has a lot more issues then the vision. He does have a solid to plus D at third, but he wont be able to hold off Baez or Bryant...
This may be an odd question, but how can a player that has "vision problems" provide plus D at third?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This may be an odd question, but how can a player that has "vision problems" provide plus D at third?

I haven't read anything about it affecting his D. They say it affects him at the plate. Im guessing he has more time at third. When you are hitting its a little quicker. Not an odd question just don't have an answer. I have never seen anything about it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Purely speculating but I amm guessing it is not a serious vision problem. So basically he is fine in everyday activites, but the level of vision needed to pick up spin or break on a pitch is so high that it just being off a little bit can greatly affect you. Again just speculating but the level of vision needed for the two activities is very different I would say.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Well, assuming I'm reading this right, looks like he's been showing something lately...

http://m.milb.com/player/592609/#nav_last_ten

In his last 10 games (29 ABs), he's batting .345/.474/.483... 8 walks (coupled with 9 strikeouts) in those 10 games, too... obviously a small sample, but still.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
His tear ducts were not working and he had to manually use drops to keep his eyes from drying out. The problem worked itself out and his ducts started producing tears again.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez goes big fly again tonight! 20 in AA! 37 for the year! Dude is a monster.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, does Kyle Hendricks get a chance to break camp as a starter for the Cubs in 2014?

Here is his line this year between AA and AAA.

160.1 IP
1.96 ERA
127 SO
32 BB

He had an outstanding year. Hope this guy keeps going this way!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So, does Kyle Hendricks get a chance to break camp as a starter for the Cubs in 2014?

160.1 IP
1.96 ERA
127 SO
32 BB

Outside shot at best. I expect him to be starting in Iowa.

I can see the Iowa rotation being Grimm, Hendricks, Jokish, Cabrara I believe they give Rusin a shot on the Cubs after his production this year. Ralley I believe goes into the pen in Chicago to help with the lack of LH relief.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

160.1 IP
1.96 ERA
127 SO
32 BB

going to be a nice situation for the cubs to decide who goes north..

barring trades.. their set with samardzija, wood, and jackson.. id like to see them try and move jackson to open up a slot, even if they have to eat salary.

chris rusin has been very impressive rebounding from last season, and Arrieta just needs to limit the walks

i think rusin willl get the no. 5 slot if he finishes strong, and Arrieta may start in AAA to work on his control if it doesnt improve the final month.

depending on what they do with jackson, they may have 1 or 2 slots open for 2014

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

barring trades.. their set with samardzija, wood, and jackson.. id like to see them try and move jackson to open up a slot, even if they have to eat salary.

chris rusin has been very impressive rebounding from last season, and Arrieta just needs to limit the walks

i think rusin willl get the no. 5 slot if he finishes strong, and Arrieta may start in AAA to work on his control if it doesnt improve the final month.

depending on what they do with jackson, they may have 1 or 2 slots open for 2014

The thing to do

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

The thing to do with Jackson is stack your rotation so he becomes the 5th man. Currently he sits at #3 which is not good.

If you have a rotation lets say of Shark, Santana, Lincecum, Wood, and then Jackson, all of a sudden his spot in the rotation is not so pronounced. Just sayin'. :popcorn:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Outside shot at best. I expect him to be starting in Iowa.

I can see the Iowa rotation being Grimm, Hendricks, Jokish, Cabrara I believe they give Rusin a shot on the Cubs after his production this year. Ralley I believe goes into the pen in Chicago to help with the lack of LH relief.

Cabrera is out of options and there is no way he clears waivers next season. He will be on the big league roster either in the rotation or bullpen.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guy 12uff interview with Sickels

Sickels interview:

Q: What do you look for when you are scouting a prospect [pitching & position]?

Sickels: I try to take a comprehensive approach. For pitchers, I look first at size, arm strength, mechanics, and consistency of mechanics. A guy with unusual mechanics doesn’t bother me that much as long as he repeats them well and his body is used to it. I look at his fastball, of course, how fast it is, but also how fast it plays. Oftentimes I don’t look at radar readings until after he’s thrown several pitches; I try to rate his fastball quality without looking at the gun or being prejudiced by the readings. My idea here is to get a read on how deceptive the fastball is, or how well it moves, and how well he locates it, before knowing what the radar says. All the standard questions apply from here of course: what kind of breaking stuff? Can he change speeds? Does his delivery change when he uses a different pitch? How fast does he work? Does he appear confident? How does he handle tough situations?

Statistically I look at all the normal things: K/IP, K/BB ratios, considered within league context, batting average against, statistical splits, ground ball and home run rates, etc.

For hitters, again, I try to look at everything: overall athleticism, arm strength, running speed, etc. Batting eye, plate discipline, etc…type of swing…does he go for line drives or is he an uppercut power type? Is he a fastball hitter or does he handle breaking stuff well? Is he too aggressive? Too passive? If he’s fast, how well does he USE that speed? And statistically I look at all the stuff you normally look at, the standard numbers, BB/K/PA ratios, home/road splits, line drive rates, etc.

Basically I look at everything I can.

Q: Who are the top 5 Cubs prospects and in what order do you rank them? Which Cubs prospects are in the mix for next year’s top 100 [or 150 if you go that high again]?

Sickels: Well I won’t be doing an exact ranking for a few months yet. Once the season ends, I have a very specific process that I go through for every organization, examining and ranking each prospect, and skipping steps in the process tends to trip me up. I would say off the top of my head that the top 5 are Javier Baez, Albert Almora, Jorge Soler, and Kris Bryant in some order, Baez first but after that I’m not certain yet. I’d be looking at CJ Edwards and Pierce Johnson and Arismendy Alcantara to round that out. The big international guys that were signed I need to study more before knowing where they will slot.

Q: You are higher than most on Dan Vogelbach, what do you see in him to rank him that high?

Sickels: The thing for me that stands out for DV is that he isn’t just some slugging masher. He has pure hitting skills, too, good plate discipline and feel for hitting to go with the strength. Obviously he has to keep his weight under control, but the guy can really hit.

Q: For good and bad, which Cubs prospects have surprised you the most this year?

Sickels: I thought Christian Villanueva and Gioskar Amaya would have better years. They haven’t been bad, but I thought they would be breakout guys and they weren’t. Alcantara ended up being the breakout guy.

Q: CJ Edwards is off to a great start in the Cubs system. Do you think his frame (6’2”/155), even if he fills out a little, can sustain the rigors of a 162 game schedule based on his power approach?

Sickels: It could be an issue but he’s a really good athlete and that gives him a chance to pull it off. As long as his workload is managed reasonably, I don’t think his injury risk is any higher than it would be for any other pitcher his age. Which is still pretty high, of course…young pitchers get hurt a lot even if they are handled wisely and even if they are good athletes. But I don’t think his risk is abnormally high.

Q: The Cubs are still pretty weak in pitching within their system but there are some interesting names and potential rotation pieces in the farm. What are your thoughts on some of the other Cubs top pitching prospects and when should we start seeing them? Is there any pitching help for next season?

Sickels: Pitching is still the weakness in the system but they are addressing it. Johnson has performed well, the trade for Edwards helps a lot, and they have been aggressive with international arms though of course we don’t know how those guys will pan out yet. I don’t see any super impact arms ready to help in 2014. Kyle Hendricks will get a shot but he is more of a control type. You could also see Alberto Cabrera make a return engagement. Eric Jokisch could get there, but like Hendricks he is more of a complementary arm than a future anchor. There should be more available in 2015 than 14.

Q: The knock on Christian Villanueva before the 2012 season was that he added a few pounds and lost a step in the process. Was that premeditated in order to boost strength and power numbers? His SB numbers have dropped significantly this season. As he progresses, could he regain the speed and possibly project to a 20/20 type guy?

Sickels: I don’t know if it was premeditated or not. It could just be the natural maturing process but at this stage either way he’s not likely a 20 steal guy at the major league level now. I’d be more concerned about his strike zone judgment than his speed frankly.

Q: I recently wrote about Baez; his contact problems and plate approach are very worrisome for me and I have him ranked 4th behind Soler, Bryant, and Almora because of that. I think he’s either going to figure it all out and be a superstar or be a huge bust with no chance of anything in the middle. Since I wrote about him, he’s been crushing it. How do you feel about him? Can he succeed at the majors with his ultra aggressive approach that has worked thus far or will something have to give if he is going to become a major leaguer?

Sickels: Baez is tough. He is very aggressive as you point out and yes, I do have some concerns about his approach. But his bat speed is so good that Double-A pitchers have been unable to expose this weakness. My guess is that Triple-A will be more of a challenge, though of course the environment in Iowa and the Pacific Coast League will play to his strengths. If I had to draw a scenario for next year, I’d say that he gets off to a slow start at first in Triple-A, but that after a couple of weeks he starts blasting the ball as the weather warms up, and by late June it is clear that the PCL won’t challenge him further. He’ll get to the point where only major league pitchers will teach him what he needs to know. That’s probably 11 months from now, although who knows…if he has a great spring, maybe they will accelerate that.

Q: Arismendy Alcantara was in the middle of a breakout year last season before injury. He’s been even better this year. What kind of future do you see for Alcantara at the majors?

Sickels: I think he has a 14 year career and some years as a regular, never quite an all star but solid and productive.

Q: The organization is very strong on the left side of the infield. What position do you think the following players will end up at and what kind of defensive ability will they have there.

Sickels:

Starlin Castro -some other team
Javier Baez -I think he sticks at SS for 5 years but is 3B by the time he’s 30.
Arismendy Alcantara – second base, slightly above average
Kris Bryant – decent enough to stick at 3B until he gets old, above average if moved to 1B
Mike Olt - All facets of his game slipped this year, including his defense which was previously rated potential Gold Glove caliber. I don’t know what is wrong with him but something is. It isn’t just the strikeouts eating him up. The glove had declined too

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Those are interesting comments about Olt and his glove. Hopefully, the off-season finds him well and he is refreshed in Spring Training.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those are interesting comments about Olt and his glove. Hopefully, the off-season finds him well and he is refreshed in Spring Training.

Yea, that's why I never considered olt the centerpiece of the garza trade. He was a throw in with name to try to correct him. I have said that his problems are very real.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yea, that's why I never considered olt the centerpiece of the garza trade. He was a throw in with name to try to correct him. I have said that his problems are very real.
I thought the pitching coming back was the centerpiece, particularly Edwards. I agree Olt was a throw-in. Before he was ever traded here I was aware of him. Moreso his hitting struggles...not because of some eye issue, but because I heard from a trusted friend his mechanics were off.

Status
Not open for further replies.