1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I like Gray because he throws so effortlessly, but either name would look fine to me on the back of a Cubs jersey.
Pretty much the same here, I just want one of them.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, Jorge Soler has raised his batting average over .40 points today. He is 7 for 8 in the double header and probably is getting another at bat. Baez also took a walk. O happy day!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm just glad Dillon Maples pitched his 2nd game for K/C. 5 IP. It is a start.

unsung on Daytona has been Dustin Geiger. 35 RBI's now. Hitting .331

CSF77

Liked Posts:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Daytona Cubs OF Jorge Soler named FSL Player of the Week

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Daytona Beach, FL – The Florida State League announced, Tuesday, that Daytona Cubs outfielder Jorge
Soler was named Florida State League player of the week for the week ending May 12th.

In four games, Soler (21) batted 7-for-15 (.467) with two home runs, four runs batted in, three doubles, a
triple, and five runs scored. The Havana, CU native has reached base in 10-consecutive games.
Overall in 2013, Soler is hitting .281 (27-for-96) with five home runs and 14 runs batted in. Soler has walked
13 times and struck out only 17 times.

Soler’s five home runs are second-most on the Cubs (Javier Baez-6), and Soler is also second in total bases
(52), runs (19), OPS (.911), and slugging percentage (.542).

Soler was signed to a nine-year, $30 million major league contract by Chicago on 6/30/12.
- Daytona Cubs Media -

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brett Jackson also went 4 for 5 with no k's. MAtt Szczur has 7th multi hit game out of 8 games. Also, I suggest checking out Willson Contreras on Kane County. He is a prospect that is going to sneak up on people. Just turned 21 and was converted from 3rd to catcher. Could be a good one.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
I'm just glad Dillon Maples pitched his 2nd game for K/C. 5 IP. It is a start.

unsung on Daytona has been Dustin Geiger. 35 RBI's now. Hitting .331

You are correct about his stats this year, however, Geiger looks like he is handcuffed to 1B and a .738 Career OPS isn't going to get him to the show at 1B.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Over/Under July 1 for a Soler move to AA Tennessee. I will go Under and say mid June.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Over/Under July 1 for a Soler move to AA Tennessee. I will go Under and say mid June.

Read a scout saying the other day that Soler is to advanced for where he is playing and should be in AA. Him being in high A isnt showing anything because he is more advanced than those players.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He should be in Tenn right now. No need holding him back.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What would be fun: June-Aug in Tenn. Sept call up to get him some exposure. Then Iowa to finish up. July on the Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
A few timely hits from the heart of a batting order can go a long way. In a doubleheader Friday, Daytona's Jorge Soler and Dustin Geiger threw timely out the window, instead going with a more abundant approach.

The duo combined to go 14-for-18 with seven extra-base hits, six RBIs and seven runs scored to help Class A Advanced Daytona sweep of a pair of games from Lakeland. The Cubs took the opener, 5-1, then outlasted the Flying Tigers, 7-4, in 12 innings.

Both players went 4-for-4 in Game 1, with Soler -- the Cubs' No. 3 prospect -- connecting for his sixth homer of the season and Geiger collecting three doubles and a triple.

In Game 2, Soler was 3-for-6 with a double, lifting his average to .297. Geiger went 3-for-4 with another double and two walks, finishing up an evening in which he reached base nine times.

"I can't recall doing that before," Geiger said. "Maybe back in like 13- or 14-year-old travel days. It's definitely a highlight in my career."

Over his past three games, Geiger is 10-for-13 with eight extra-base hits. On Friday, he raised his batting average 33 points to .331 and brought his OPS from .800 to .902.

The outburst is just the latest for Geiger, who is having something of a breakout season. Selected out of Merritt Island (Fla.) High School in the 24 round of the 2010 Draft, the corner infielder dominated the Rookie-level Arizona League in 2011 before struggling at Class A Peoria. He returned to the Midwest League last year, finding mixed results with a .767 OPS.

"I'm a corner infield guy, which means I'm supposed to hit for power," Geiger said. "I was chasing pitches and striking out too much last year."

He went to Spring Training this season aiming to adjust his approach, working extensively with Double-A hitting coach Desi Wilson.

"I'm just really trying to look for different pitches in different counts," Geiger said. "I don't want to give away too many secrets, but I'm just trying to keep everything simple at the plate, not try to do too much."

More recently, Geiger has worked to smooth his pre-swing leg kick, hoping to make it easier to maintain his timing.

"Anytime a guy has a leg kick, timing becomes a huge factor that you have to stay on top of," Daytona manager Dave Keller said. "You have to stay soft and low and be very, very relaxed because the pitchers, they go to the plate at different times and their moves are all different and everything else that can mess up your timing, which is probably the most important thing about hitting.

"He's found a way to slow himself down more than anything. He's slowing his mind down and slowing his mechanics down and when you can do that, the ball looks slower. And I think that's what he's going through right now."

Soler, meanwhile, has continued to find success in his first full professional season. The 21-year-old outfielder was 7-for-10 with a homer and a double in the doubleheader, raising his OPS to .908, which ranks eighth in the Florida State League -- one spot ahead of Geiger.

"[Jorge] has shown me that his patience is above average for this level," Keller said. "He doesn't chase a whole lot of pitches out of the strike zone. He's always getting a good pitch to hit. We're just trying to continually reinforce to him that he needs to use the whole field."

The off-field adjustments are every bit as key for Soler at this stage. The Cuba native is still adjusting to life in the United States since signing a nine-year, $30 million deal with the Cubs last June.

He's taken some bumps along the way, like when he was ejected for approaching an opposing dugout with a bat. Despite that episode, Soler's been a welcome presence in Daytona's clubhouse.

"He's an awesome guy," Geiger said. "He's always smiling, gives off a good energy in the locker room."

Soler's making progress with the language, too.

"During Spring Training, he didn't understand much English, so I tried to talk to him slow in English," Keller said. "He knows I speak Spanish. All the Latin kids know I'm bilingual, so it's easy for them to speak Spanish with me when they want, but that doesn't help them.

"He's warming up to the whole atmosphere well. It's really nice to see."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Josh Vitters is the future at third base for the Cubs, president Theo Epstein told Ian Stewart, Stewart explained to MLB.com's Carrie Muskat. That means playing time will be hard to come by for Stewart at Triple-A Iowa, where he landed after being removed from the Cubs' 40-man roster this month. Stewart wondered if the comment was Epstein's way of trying to get him to give up his contract, but the third baseman told Muskat, "It wouldn't really make sense for me to take a release or ask for free agency, because then I'd be giving up my contract, and that doesn't make sense for me financially or for my family." Stewart signed a $2MM deal to remain with the Cubs after being non-tendered in December, and hoped to be with the big league club after rehabbing a February quad injury.

wow

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Josh Vitters is the future at third base for the Cubs, president Theo Epstein told Ian Stewart, Stewart explained to MLB.com's Carrie Muskat. That means playing time will be hard to come by for Stewart at Triple-A Iowa, where he landed after being removed from the Cubs' 40-man roster this month. Stewart wondered if the comment was Epstein's way of trying to get him to give up his contract, but the third baseman told Muskat, "It wouldn't really make sense for me to take a release or ask for free agency, because then I'd be giving up my contract, and that doesn't make sense for me financially or for my family." Stewart signed a $2MM deal to remain with the Cubs after being non-tendered in December, and hoped to be with the big league club after rehabbing a February quad injury.

wow

Lol I read that article on Cubs.com. I like the way Ian Stewart said they basically tried to make him drop out of his contract, but he is not stupid. he knows no one else will pay him that much so he isnt going anywhere and the Vitters thing has to be smoke blown up his ass. I actually think Vitters could be a major leaguer just not a starter unless he had an incredible off season and they know something we dont.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Lol I read that article on Cubs.com. I like the way Ian Stewart said they basically tried to make him drop out of his contract, but he is not stupid. he knows no one else will pay him that much so he isnt going anywhere and the Vitters thing has to be smoke blown up his ass. I actually think Vitters could be a major leaguer just not a starter unless he had an incredible off season and they know something we dont.

He was injured a bit in the off-season IIRC, but he played a little bit in the Liga Paralela, Venezuela's minor winter league. Think they are just talking him up, but it is noteworthy that he did have a pretty great season at age 21 in AAA last year, result didn't carry over to the major league level of course, but not like last year was a total failure many make it out to be. Defense still very meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.