Jalen Hurts

10veitout

Liked Posts:
I am honestly telling you that are you so entirely full of shit and so obviously making everything up as you go along (like Jalen Hurts as a 6'2 version of Russell Wilson....lol) that I do not know what you mean. That is correct, I am honestly baffled by your inability to even guess correctly at the profile of these players.

I'm
Except our threshold for acceptable quarterback play is not "better than Mitch Trubisky" since "better than Mitch Trubisky" applies to quite a few other shitty quarterbacks who I dont want. You want to argue that body of work Minshew is better than Trubisky? Fine, whatever. It's like arguing over which kind of cancer is best to have. Fact is the Bears are hunting for the answer at the quarterback position, not a bunch of new questions. Gardner Minshew solves nothing, and his absence from the Bears roster is absolutely not worth losing our minds over.

As for your weird obsession with statistics, I dont know what it has to do with a comparison between the Bears defense and Green Bay's defense? I would say they are about equal, Green Bay has better top end talent (for instance ZD Smith > Khalil Mack) but overall the Bears have fewer defensive decencies. It probably cancels out, though obviously whatever the Packers are doing is working much better than whatever the Bears are doing so maybe that's your tiebreaker. But, to bring this discussion into some sort of relevance with our conversation....nothing in the NFL happens in a vaccum. Success is contingent on dozens of factors outside an individual players' control. And for that reason statistics are generally worthless.

I never said Minshew was great, I said he was worth lamenting that you missed out on him. Which is true, him having a bad stretch and getting benched doesnt change that he has a great career TD to INT ratio and a good rating on an awful team.

Your saying that on field production has no bearing on how we judge players. That's literally too stupid to fathom lol. We have no other way to judge players then by individual production, we simply must keep it in context with everyone else on their teams individual production as well,.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Ok so #1...... I never said anything about Russell Wilson and I have no idea why you pulled him outta no where. Russell Wilson has zero to do with the conversation and Hurts. Please Re-read what I said above.

Hurts is a 22 year old rookie. Why are u disregarding that and dealing with him and assessing him as though he were a veteran??? In his press conference about the loss, he didn't point fingers or go into denial. He didn't avoid any of the tough questions. He said he was still learning and growing. He took ownership for the loss just like a leader would. He talked about how he and the team would go back reassess the lost, learn from it, regroup and move ahead.

You conveniently failed to point out how he passed for 3 Tds vs 0 ints. Under him, they put up 26 points ( with our D, that's a easy win. I'm just saying). You also failed to point out that prior to the N.O. win, they had lost 4 str8 games.
Fact is ....no matter how as u put it..... "I'm just calling it as I see it on the field " , the HC and the team respect him. The team has rallied around him and they believe in him.
OK so here's the fault with your reasoning as I see it. You're willing to wash away all the negatives as "he's just a rookie!" but are also not willing to accept that rookies have these types of beginning's to their career sometimes. Why, just last year Gardner Minshew looked great. Now he's not starter-quality anymore unless your team is literally tanking.

In whatever case Jaylon Johnson and Cole Kmet have looked good enough and there's still so many uncertainties to Hurts' game. You have not addressed any of my on-field concerns with Hurts, the lackluster arm and propensity to freak out on plays. Right now I'd say Hurts' closest pro comparison is probably something like a Jimmy Garoppolo. For me? I'd rather have what the Bears took than that.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I'm

I never said Minshew was great, I said he was worth lamenting that you missed out on him. Which is true, him having a bad stretch and getting benched doesnt change that he has a great career TD to INT ratio and a good rating on an awful team.

Your saying that on field production has no bearing on how we judge players. That's literally too stupid to fathom lol. We have no other way to judge players then by individual production, we simply must keep it in context with everyone else on their teams individual production as well,.
What's so ironic about this is that statistic leave zero room for context. A quarterback throws the ball right in stride between the numbers, it bounces off his wide receivers hands into the air, and is intercepted. The fault? Not really with the quarterback, though if you laser focus in on statistics you'll get an entirely different story than what happens.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
What's so ironic about this is that statistic leave zero room for context. A quarterback throws the ball right in stride between the numbers, it bounces off his wide receivers hands into the air, and is intercepted. The fault? Not really with the quarterback, though if you laser focus in on statistics you'll get an entirely different story than what happens.

That's is over a sample size of a single play.

When you have season or career long sample sizes, that's when you can adequately deduce from the on field production who is how good and at what etc.

There is no other way to judge players, then by their on field production. Everything else is just subjective opinions.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
That's is over a sample size of a single play.

When you have season or career long sample sizes, that's when you can adequately deduce from the on field production who is how good and at what etc.

There is no other way to judge players, then by their on field production. Everything else is just subjective opinions.
It is emblematic of something that plays out every single play. There are too many moving parts for statistics to really be relevant, though obviously if a guy goes off for two hundred yards on the ground in a game (or similar accomplishment) he must have done something right. The extreme examples can tell you something, but your attempt to say Gardner Minshew is this cant-miss quarterback that the Bears should be besides themselves at missing out on because of his touchdown-to-interception ratio falls pretty flat. Especially when he keeps getting benched until the exact moment when Jacksonville is really cranking up to maximum tanking mode (ironically so they can replace this quarterback you think is so great).

If you aren't capable of critically watching players or putting your observations into words that is a problem that you have personally, but I cant abide you just muddling the truth in order to make you feel better about your own shortcomings.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Maybe its time to admit that a player like Gardner Minshew really doesn't bring the Bears any closer to where they need to be and you are just letting your Ryan Pace antipathy get in the way of reason.

InsideTheLines

Opinionated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Miami Marlins
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
  2. Northwestern Wildcats
Technically the bears missed out on many QBs over the years.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Technically the bears missed out on many QBs over the years.
Dozens of them. But the reason for their struggles at quarterback is not that they dont invest enough late draft capital into the position. Draft history clearly bears out how unlikely those selections are to work out favorably.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wentz would be the best QB the Bears have had.

Most of the weapons Hurts has around him werent here 8 weeks ago when Wentz was moving the ball by himself. (He got beat up being the runner, buying time behind a porous line, and competing with all he had to move the ball with his top 3 WRs out, TEs both out, running back out...Wentz had nothing. The switch was more about mercy, and if Hurts fools them enough to lose Wentz we HAVE to HAVE to go after him.)

I cant remember a bears QB that could move it by himself.

Wentz is sturdy. Huge hands. He's a cold weather QB. Pocket awareness. Can read the D.

The only thing I've seen questioned is his leadership, the Christianity might alienate him, idk.

I never picked up the Cutler vibe from him, more of a Brady vibe that might rub people weird if you aren't winning superbowls without the great social awareness of Brady to mute his focus and drive, goody two shoes stuff. Other athletes maybe can't relate to him.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure I was one of two people saying we should draft Hurts because of his intangibles, about the highest level of human compete drive I have ever seen to WILL Oklahoma into the playoff series, and athleticism, success in two offenses. Now 3.

You want to know who Jalen Hurts is watch the Big 12 championship game. Leader. WARRIOR. ATHLETE.

So I'm not surprised he's able to rally a team that gave up 8 weeks ago but I didn't see much to concern me about Wentz.

I would be about second stop Wentz for Chicago all day every day. He is perfect for us.

It could save our timeline good for us.
Trubs on a baxk-up deal if the kid is truly a Saint,

But Trubisky's win loss record is starting to get a bit ridiculous for a player we are about to lose.

("See you later Trubs, thanks for your .667 winning percentage. Bye" doesnt sound right in chicago.)

I would have given Tebow another chance before I gave Kap another chance just on win/loss.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Does this dope think the Matt Nagy offense can work in the NFL? Holy fuck people. It’s a proven failure.

People who run the ball 15 times a game NEVER win in the NFL. Ever!

Wtf are you going on about!

We made a bad coaching hire! Great for the locker room. Terrible understanding of NFL defenses and how to attack them.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Ok so #1...... I never said anything about Russell Wilson and I have no idea why you pulled him outta no where. Russell Wilson has zero to do with the conversation and Hurts. Please Re-read what I said above.

Hurts is a 22 year old rookie. Why are u disregarding that and dealing with him and assessing him as though he were a veteran??? In his press conference about the loss, he didn't point fingers or go into denial. He didn't avoid any of the tough questions. He said he was still learning and growing. He took ownership for the loss just like a leader would. He talked about how he and the team would go back reassess the lost, learn from it, regroup and move ahead.

You conveniently failed to point out how he passed for 3 Tds vs 0 ints. Under him, they put up 26 points ( with our D, that's a easy win. I'm just saying). You also failed to point out that prior to the N.O. win, they had lost 4 str8 games.
Fact is ....no matter how as u put it..... "I'm just calling it as I see it on the field " , the HC and the team respect him. The team has rallied around him and they believe in him.

OK so here's the fault with your reasoning as I see it. You're willing to wash away all the negatives as "he's just a rookie!" but are also not willing to accept that rookies have these types of beginning's to their career sometimes. Why, just last year Gardner Minshew looked great. Now he's not starter-quality anymore unless your team is literally tanking.

In whatever case Jaylon Johnson and Cole Kmet have looked good enough and there's still so many uncertainties to Hurts' game. You have not addressed any of my on-field concerns with Hurts, the lackluster arm and propensity to freak out on plays. Right now I'd say Hurts' closest pro comparison is probably something like a Jimmy Garoppolo. For me? I'd rather have what the Bears took than that.

You're one of the few in the football universe to have all these " many uncertainties to Hurts' game."
The Eagles coaches are good with him....his teammates are good with him. The waterboy even likes the way he sips water
:LOL:

You're willing to wash away all the negatives as "he's just a rookie!"

You have not addressed any of my on-field concerns with Hurts, the lackluster arm and propensity to freak out on plays.

No that's not what I said or what I'm doing....lets go back and read the factual info. ? " In his press conference about the loss, he didn't point fingers or go into denial. He didn't avoid any of the tough questions. He said he was still learning and growing. He took ownership for the loss just like a leader would. He talked about how he and the team would go back reassess the lost, learn from it, regroup and move ahead."

Right now I'd say Hurts' closest pro comparison is probably something like a Jimmy Garoppolo. For me? I'd rather have what the Bears took than that.

? Garoppolo is a pocket passer who needs good pass pro to be effective. Garoppolo's not gonna extend plays and make plays on the move.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Wentz would be the best QB the Bears have had.

Most of the weapons Hurts has around him werent here 8 weeks ago when Wentz was moving the ball by himself. (He got beat up being the runner, buying time behind a porous line, and competing with all he had to move the ball with his top 3 WRs out, TEs both out, running back out...Wentz had nothing. The switch was more about mercy, and if Hurts fools them enough to lose Wentz we HAVE to HAVE to go after him.)

I cant remember a bears QB that could move it by himself.

Wentz is sturdy. Huge hands. He's a cold weather QB. Pocket awareness. Can read the D.

The only thing I've seen questioned is his leadership, the Christianity might alienate him, idk.

I never picked up the Cutler vibe from him, more of a Brady vibe that might rub people weird if you aren't winning superbowls without the great social awareness of Brady to mute his focus and drive, goody two shoes stuff. Other athletes maybe can't relate to him.

Well I doubt Brady would ever whine about being benched and about not wanting to be in Philly, because of it. And no one in his camp is denying it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I doubt Brady would ever whine about being benched and about not wanting to be in Philly, because of it. And no one in his camp is denying it.
I look at it like he lost the team, similar to a coach, but I would absolutely go to football war with Carson Wentz.

I think he is better than any QB to ever play in Chicago, he is in his prime, he is developed, he is ready to roll and kick ass.

Anyone not on the Wentz train doesn't realize Philly hasn't been good around him on either side in 2 years.

Let them go to "better vibes" and jump on that thing.

I just feel like we have an inside track with Peterson/Nagy to get this done. Let's get it done.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We aren't gonna win shit with anyone else we can get in next two years.

With Wentz we can win anything...

And he knows the system already? Gey it done.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Save your jobs. Sign Wentz.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wentz>Trevor Lawrence