Jim Hendry Bust or Great GM?

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Umm we obviously did.

The numbers "backed up" all the statements we had been making over the first few pages of the thread before you came in with your "lulz" responses.

There were multiple posts between Rory, Rice myself, maybe some other talking about the rotation being better or worse and the lineup being better or worse in a certain context etc.

You either can't read or are choosing not to.

And you'd be wrong.

LOL at 2007 being better by "overall performance" when they had (by your standards) either the same or comparable offense(worse when Lofton is factored in as a starter), a worse rotation, less balanced bullpen and got swept out of the playoffs rather than taking the NLCS to 7 games.

Talk about a shit house argument for 2007.

If by shithouse you mean far superior then yes it's a shithouse argument.

And again bahahahahhhaha for bringing up the playoffs.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

Chicago Cubs 2009 Minor League Review
Overall farm ranking via Baseball America:
2009 (27) | 2008 (20) | 2007 (18) | 2006 (15) | 2005 (10) | 2004 (7)

I guess the 7 in 2004 was pre-Nomar trade, they probably took a hit after trading Dontrelle to the Marlins in 2002 or 2003 (forgot which) and then trading a bunch of guys to get Derrek Lee prior to 2004. I recall the subsequent drafts weren't that good as the team shifted into "contend now" mode because the Tribune was getting ready to sell. Maybe someone with more knowledge could pipe in. My perception of Hendry had been that he was a good evaluator of amateur talent and raw talent but not so good at finding what makes a complete and productive MLB player.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2004 was when the Cardinals went crazy-nuts and won 105 games, and Houston was three games better than the Cubs. The 2004 Cubs won one game more than in 2003 despite those injuries. I think most people who try to argue 2004 was better than 2003 do so because of what might have been had everyone stayed healthy.

Even without wood and prior they had a better Zambrano. A better clement. Greg maddux and Glendon rusch pitched great as a starter.

And on top of that the offense was light years better. 2004 was way better than people give it credit for. It just ran into a great cardinals team and a very good Astros team.

If the 2003 team had a decent team in their division we aren't even having this conversation.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

Why shouldn't he bring up the playoffs? 2004 didn't even make the playoffs. 2003 got further than any other team in any of our lifetimes.

That stuff does matter. You need to first get a team to the playoffs, and that part is important. You give the guy props for keeping the team over .500 overall. But you need to get to the playoffs to have a shot at the World Series. I have also talked about hot and cold streaks and small samples etc., but you can't deny what actually happened. 2003 was the most successful team in the past decade based solely on how far they got in the playoffs. That trumps everything.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yes because when evaluating the "overall performance" of a team the playoffs have no relevance.

2001 Seattle Mariners. Best performance for a MLB team in modern history.

I guess the 7 in 2004 was pre-Nomar trade, they probably took a hit after trading Dontrelle to the Marlins in 2002 or 2003 (forgot which) and then trading a bunch of guys to get Derrek Lee prior to 2004. I recall the subsequent drafts weren't that good as the team shifted into "contend now" mode because the Tribune was getting ready to sell. Maybe someone with more knowledge could pipe in. My perception of Hendry had been that he was a good evaluator of amateur talent and raw talent but not so good at finding what makes a complete and productive MLB player.
The Cubs lost only really Choi in the Lee trade.

The Nomar trade the Cubs gave up virtually nothing. Montreal acquired Cubs shortstop Alex Gonzalez, pitcher Francis Beltran and infielder Brendan Harris

Last edited:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
The Nomar trade the Cubs gave up virtually nothing. Montreal acquired Cubs shortstop Alex Gonzalez, pitcher Francis Beltran and infielder Brendan Harris

Extremely off topic, but I kinda wonder who the last Expo will be.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Too bad poods showed up. I was liking the actual baseball discussion that was going on.

In poods mind baseball team evaluation should center around ERA+ and OPS+ and not factor in the playoffs in any way shape or form. Talk about ruining baseball talk on a board.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
last-of-the-mohicans.jpg

Extremely off topic, but I kinda wonder who the last Expo will be.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why shouldn't he bring up the playoffs? 2004 didn't even make the playoffs. 2003 got further than any other team in any of our lifetimes.

That stuff does matter. You need to first get a team to the playoffs, and that part is important. You give the guy props for keeping the team over .500 overall. But you need to get to the playoffs to have a shot at the World Series. I have also talked about hot and cold streaks and small samples etc., but you can't deny what actually happened. 2003 was the most successful team in the past decade based solely on how far they got in the playoffs. That trumps everything.

Sure it's important but it doesn't make one team better than the other. The 2008 Yankees won 89 games and missed the playoffs. The dodgers won 84 and made the playoffs. The Yankees were by far superior.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too bad poods showed up. I was liking the actual baseball discussion that was going on.

In poods mind baseball team evaluation should center around ERA+ and OPS+ and not factor in the playoffs in any way shape or form. Talk about ruining baseball talk on a board.

Seeing the forest through the trees is difficult i know.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sure it's important but it doesn't make one team better than the other. The 2008 Yankees won 89 games and missed the playoffs. The dodgers won 84 and made the playoffs. The Yankees were by far superior.

Actually that's not true.

The Yankees had the superior lineup(101-93)OPS+.

Dodgers pitching was better(114-104)ERA+

Your own stat(s) prove you wrong!

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's odd.

It's like everything poods says is disproven in virtually 5 seconds using his own "logic"

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually that's not true.

The Yankees had the superior lineup(101-93)OPS+.

Dodgers pitching was better(114-104)ERA+

Your own stat(s) prove you wrong!

Thus why I should look everything up before posting. The point still stands while the example may be wrong.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's odd.

It's like everything poods says is disproven in virtually 5 seconds using his own "logic"

Bahahahahahahahaha you disproved one thing. The rest were typical garbage posts showing nothing but your ignorance of baseball.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bahahahahahahahaha you disproved one thing. The rest were typical garbage posts showing nothing but your ignorance of baseball.

Actually they weren't.

You gonna bring Capt Obvious back too? We need more jobber tag teams around the site for me to beat up on.

Poods and CO = The Job Squad.

5322498_std.jpg

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually they weren't.

You gonna bring Capt Obvious back too? We need more jobber tag teams around the site for me to beat up on.

Poods and CO = The Job Squad.

5322498_std.jpg

Nah I don't need anyone else to fight my battles. Unlike you and rory who have to fight together. Which is fine because combined your grasp of baseball is stuck in the 1940's.