Jim Hendry Bust or Great GM?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nah I don't need anyone else to fight my battles.
I'm not sure you understand how tag matches work.

Unlike you and rory who have to fight together. Which is fine because combined your grasp of baseball is stuck in the 1940's.

It's actually not.

You think your view is advanced....it's not. In fact the "advanced" stats you use have shown you to be wrong more than right in this thread. On top of that you don't even know how to use them.

Care to explain to us all how Andre Dawson, Ivan Calderon, and Ron Kittle aren't that different of players "overall performance" wise?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes because when evaluating the "overall performance" of a team the playoffs have no relevance.

2001 Seattle Mariners. Best performance for a MLB team in modern history.

The Cubs lost only really Choi in the Lee trade.

The Nomar trade the Cubs gave up virtually nothing. Montreal acquired Cubs shortstop Alex Gonzalez, pitcher Francis Beltran and infielder Brendan Harris

I thought at one point they gave up Ricky Nolasco. That must have been the Juan Pierre trade I was thinking about.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thus why I should look everything up before posting. The point still stands while the example may be wrong.

Wut.

That means you were wrong. Just own up to it if you were wrong. I am wrong a lot and will admit to it as I did in this thread. It happens.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
View attachment 458

Edit: Added the correct pic

last-of-the-mohicans.jpg

:lol:

Vlad the Mohican :D

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would say no he wasn't a bust at all. He made it to the playoffs 3 times in one decade with the Cubs. Something that hasnt been done since the 1930's. While it was time for a change, Jim Hendry WAS a great gm.

And if someone has already said this sorry, but i got to page 8 of that bitchfest and skipped to the last page.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wut.

That means you were wrong. Just own up to it if you were wrong. I am wrong a lot and will admit to it as I did in this thread. It happens.

The example was wrong. I admitted that. Doesn't make my point wrong because well its not wrong.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would say no he wasn't a bust at all. He made it to the playoffs 3 times in one decade with the Cubs. Something that hasnt been done since the 1930's. While it was time for a change, Jim Hendry WAS a great gm.

And if someone has already said this sorry, but i got to page 8 of that bitchfest and skipped to the last page.

I think that's kind of a dumb way to compare things though. Hendry wasn't competing with the other GM's in Cubs history he was competing with the other GMs in baseball at the time. To hold Hendry to the standard of other Cubs GM's seems rather odd and pretty dumb.

We don't want Emery to simply be better than Angelo, we want him to the best GM in football. The "better than Angelo" thing will come as a result of the "best GM in football" thing. Hendry had the bar set really low when he came in. To label him "great" or not a bust relative to that bar really doesn't say anything. Hell you're talking about an organization that at one time would rotate managers from the MLB, AAA, AA level as part of the plan.

Last edited:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that's kind of a dumb way to compare things though. Hendry wasn't competing with the other GM's in Cubs history he was competing with the other GMs in baseball at the time. To hold Hendry to the standard of other Cubs GM's seems rather odd and pretty dumb.

We don't want Emery to simply be better than Angelo, we want him to the best GM in football. The "better than Angelo" thing will come as a result of the "best GM in football" thing. Hendry had the bar set really low when he came in. To label him "great" or not a bust relative to that bar really doesn't say anything. Hell you're talking about an organization that at one time would rotate managers from the MLB, AAA, AA level as part of the plan.

Hendry was "great" relative to every other GM since 1945, but that's sort of like saying he won the "tallest midget" award. It doesn't mean he was terrible, but he was far from the best in baseball. Since the Cubs had pretty bad standards anyway, he looks awesome by comparison :lol:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The 2006 Cardinals and 2006 Phillies, Red Sox, Blue Jays, White Sox, and Angels?

That would have been a better example. More specifically the tigers that year. Who had the fourth best record in baseball an were home in October.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That would have been a better example. More specifically the tigers that year. Who had the fourth best record in baseball an were home in October.

WUT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:obama: x 1 million

Last edited:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh. Searching on my phone while driving will do that.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow there is a lot to tackle here. I've read the whole thread, but I am debating how much I want to go through this thread to hit all the various tangents this thread has gone on at this point. There are a lot of fun topics so I will probably start plodding through this and hit on some of the more fun stuff to talk about.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow there is a lot to tackle here. I've read the whole thread, but I am debating how much I want to go through this thread to hit all the various tangents this thread has gone on at this point. There are a lot of fun topics so I will probably start plodding through this and hit on some of the more fun stuff to talk about.

Can't wait! :lol: