Jim Hendry Bust or Great GM?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
"FirstTimes" Cliffnotes response: The Cubs best scout (Leon Lee) was being used in the Pacific Rim. The Cubs utilizing their best scout in the Pacific Rim limited their scouting in Latin America, because their best scout was in the Pacific Rim, not Latin America. The Cubs did not send their best scout to Latin America, instead they chose to use him in the Pacific Rim. This limited their scouting in Latin America.

When did I say Leon Lee was the Cubs best scout?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was Leon Lee the best scout?

For that matter, who WAS the best scout?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
:obama:

Jesus Christ, yes I have.

If Leon Lee was important enough to be mentioned for the Hendry fail area and the entire premise is the Cubs were run "cheaply" by the Trib then I would say having an important scout in the PR would take away resources for the LA countires don't you?
Your premise assumes that a scout that has ties to the Pacific Rim would be as successful in Latin America.

And no one cared or missed the prospects.

The PR is non-consequential. Hence why GM's with a brain or building baseball academies in the DR, not in South Korea.
No one is arguing that Latin America is less important than the Pacific Rim, but the Cubs with a part time scout in four years and a full time scout acquired two top 50 prospects that were turned into assets on the major league roster. That is not non-consequential.
I never said they ignored Latin America so your point was...well pointless.

Not really. I just have dumber people to troll over in the Bulls forum.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl_NpdAy3WY]"You like me!" - YouTube[/ame]

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Word vomit

"FirstTimes" Cliffnotes response: The Cubs best scout (Leon Lee) was being used in the Pacific Rim. The Cubs utilizing their best scout in the Pacific Rim limited their scouting in Latin America, because their best scout was in the Pacific Rim, not Latin America. The Cubs did not send their best scout to Latin America, instead they chose to use him in the Pacific Rim. This limited their scouting in Latin America.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wait, I really did miss the part where people said he was the best scout. Is that true? :lol:

Heck, do you guys even know the scouts by name?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Who said Leon Lee was the Cubs best scout? I "bemoaned" the loss of a market that had yielded some promising results with limited resources being devoted to it. And Leon Lee and Steve Wilson have strong ties to the Pacific Rim which was part of the reason why they were effective in that market. Your assumption is that Lee was their best scout and that he would be as effective in Latin America as he was in the Pacific Rim.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I take it you have no counter to either point then about questioning Lee's rank amongst scouts in the Cubs organization and the effectiveness of a scout with strong ties to the Pacific Rim being dropped into Latin America.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I take it you have no counter to either point then about questioning Lee's rank amongst scouts in the Cubs organization and the effectiveness of a scout with strong ties to the Pacific Rim being dropped into Latin America.

No, I take it you're too stupid to understand the damn point.

Still.

Cubs hire scout for PR. Could have used that money and time to hire scout for LA or send said scout(who was apparently good to LA where the real talent is). Choose not to. Keep in PR.

Cubs fail. Dabynsky sucks.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the assertion is still that Leon Lee is the Cubs' best scout?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, I take it you're too stupid to understand the damn point.

Still.

Your point is basedd on two faulty assumptions which you have provided no evidence to the contrary.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the assertion is still that Leon Lee is the Cubs' best scout?

I'm just asking because I don't recall anyone saying that until Rory's post and I don't know that to be true or substantiated.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Your point is basedd on two faulty assumptions which you have provided no evidence to the contrary.

Actually it's not.

The best talent is in LA.

The Cubs wasted time with Leon Lee in the PR.

WE GOT HEE SOP CHOI!!!!!!! ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quit being a tard

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually it's not.
Then actually respond instead of dancing around the two points raised.

The best talent is in LA.
Find one post by anyone that disagrees with that. Or shall I complain like your alter ego about stating the obvious

The Cubs wasted time with Leon Lee in the PR.
Again how? Lee wasn't going to be a scout in Latin America for the Cubs. He was a part time employee and he netted us a top 25 prospects with a very small amount of the organization's time and money.

WE GOT HEE SOP CHOI!!!!!!! ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Again he was a part time employee and he netted us a top 25 prospect in baseball. You want to say it was non-consequential, but that is simply not true since they were able to turn that prospect into a major piece on two playoff teams.

Quit being a tard

Well reasoned response as always.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm still trying to figure out who said Leon Lee was the best Cubs scout ever :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alrighty then...so I guess from the past few days we've seen the following points being debated...

1. Some other teams during the Hendry era, despite not making it as far in the postseason (or getting there at all) were better than the 2003 team. While you can certainly make an argument for any number of those non-2003 teams, the fact remains that the 2003 team almost sealed the deal while the others didn't get as close. That stuff matters. Hendry gets a point, however, for getting the team in contention about half the time and actually making it to the playoffs. Concede that he had financial advantages that were not used appropriately.

2. Hendry was bad at free agent signings. That's not debatable given what we saw with what's become of Soriano, Aaron Miles, Milton Bradley, John Grabow etc. Marlon Byrd outperformed his contract (depending on whether you believe in WAR$ or not) and wasn't paid to be a superstar. The Lee, Ramirez, Dempster and Zambrano signings are open for debate as to how good they were, but for most of those contracts they produced to what they were paid, again depending on your views on WAR and WAR$.

3. Scouting...even though the prospects didn't pan out, they eventually became trade fodder that netted us guys like Ramirez, Derrek Lee, and Matt Garza. The organization did not spend a lot of time building up the farm which allowed it to basically fall into disarray after the first half of Hendry's GM tenure.

Verdict...some good, a lot bad, but three playoffs in the past decade = best GM in recent memory = tallest midget award.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can dissect my last post if you wish. If this descends into any more pointed jabs with no substance I will just close the thread. Thank you.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Verdict...some good, a lot bad, but three playoffs in the past decade = best GM in recent memory = tallest midget award.
This is probably the best answer to the original question. Hendry is certainly the best GM since Dallas Green which again isn't saying a lot with the fine names to grace the position in between.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am amazed (well, "amazed" in the CCS sense, which means not really amazed...more like "stupefied") that this is the "assertion" that you are harping on, and not something more along the lines of...

Jae Kuk Ryu's lifetime Cubs statistics:

0-1, 15 IP, 8.40 ERA, 7 HR ALLOWED, 1 Osprey eliminated = ASSET

Disprove that statement that between a part time employee and a full time employee with a relatively small amount spent on signing bonuses the Cubs got two top 50 prospects that were turned into assets on the major league roster. I'll give you a hint in that Ryu was never a top 50 prospect.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Then actually respond instead of dancing around the two points raised.
I have.

Repeatedly.

Find one post by anyone that disagrees with that.
The Cubs sending Leon Lee to waste time in the PR?

Again how?
I've explained this umpteen times. You either need to quit being a fucking goof or just leave the discussion.

Lee wasn't going to be a scout in Latin America for the Cubs.
Ok.

Still NOT THE FUCKING POINT.

He was a part time employee and he netted us a top 25 prospects with a very small amount of the organization's time and money.
OMG A TOP 25 SPECT!

Disprove that statement that between a part time employee and a full time employee with a relatively small amount spent on signing bonuses the Cubs got two top 50 prospects that were turned into assets on the major league roster. I'll give you a hint in that Ryu was never a top 50 prospect.
:obama:

NOT THE FUCKING POINT.

The point is LA talent is better, so wasting time scraping up PR spects could have been used more wisely diverting more resources to LA to find better spects that could have either netted better assets or turned into MLB players themselves.

Quit being dense.

Last edited: