Jim Hendry Fired As GM Of The Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

marky mark

Liked Posts:
That's a Special person reason.

The timing is even more Special person.

actually its not a Special person reason, when we haven't won a world series in over a hundred years, something needs to change, including the GM who has been our losing gm for 17 years

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jim Hendry out as Cubs GM

If they get Friedman or Beane, or maybe one of the Epstein underlings, it won't be Special person.

Absolutely.

But if we somehow do a 2010 cubs and get hot down the stretch and we pull a Quade and keep Bush it will be.

Which is what I am scared of.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
As much as i like him beignf ired, i agree with this...

the timing is so dumb. just wait until the season is over

I didn't mean that NOW he had to go, but what I mean is that he was already beyond the point where he should have been fired, he should have been fired last off-season IMHO.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolutely.

But if we somehow do a 2010 cubs and get hot down the stretch and we pull a Quade and keep Bush it will be.

We all hope Ricketts isn't that stupid :lol:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jim Hendry out as Cubs GM

actually its not a Special person reason, when we haven't won a world series in over a hundred years, something needs to change, including the GM who has been our losing gm for 17 years

Didn't know Jim hendry was the gm in 1971.

100 years thing is getting old as a reason. Hendry didn't win one in his 8 years. That's the only thing that matters in the convo. The other 95 mean nothing.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Absolutely.

I don't think that will happen, because surely even Ricketts knows that if we get hot it isn't cause of Bush, as he will have made like no transactions barring a couple August salary dumps that won't improve us anyway.

marky mark

Liked Posts:
Didn't know Jim hendry was the gm in 1971.

100 years thing is getting old as a reason. Hendry didn't win one in his 8 years. That's the only thing that matters in the convo. The other 95 mean nothing.

he has been with the org. for 17 years, i dont see the 1971 reference....:shrug: maybe im to young to remember what happened then

AnythingChicago

You'rrrrre out!
Liked Posts:
75069172.png

:gtfo:

For good!!!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
he has been with the org. for 17 years, i dont see the 1971 reference....:shrug: maybe im to young to remember what happened then

Ya, no idea what the 1971 is about... :shrug:

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
"[Team chairman] Tom Ricketts told me July 22," Hendry said during a news conference Friday. "He's a very honest guy and a very classy guy. At that time, we decided it was best for me to stay on. We had a deadline coming up and a lot of draft choices that needed to be signed. I think we both felt that possibly me staying through that gave us the best chance to sign the rest of the players.

"I apologize for not telling anybody sooner, but it may be one of the best kept secrets in Cubs history. It was a little tough at the end. I was glad we got through and signed all the picks we wanted to. That was good. Those scouts deserved that."

"My family and I appreciate Jim's dedication during our time with the Cubs and thank him for his overall 17 years of service to the Cubs organization," team chairman Tom Ricketts said in a statement. "It is time for a fresh approach in our baseball leadership and our search begins immediately for our next general manager."

Ozzie tweet-I will miss you," Guillen tweeted. "Go spend time with ur family enjoy them and I hope you come back sir.

"A great baseball man leave today. Always classy Jim. One of the good guys."

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It's good to do this now Mostly with free agency. You want your guy in place and have a good feel for team needs before free agency starts. Waiting til after the season could jeopardize this off season

HawkyTalky

Enforcer
Liked Posts:
I've been a die-hard White Sox fan for over 20 years now. The Cubs need to win it all already and get it over with once and for all.

I will say that it's time to end all of the agony, pain, and suffering in Cubdom. The drama of "This is it....will we win it this year?....is this year our year?" every season for the Cubs needs to end soon.

Firing Hendry is a step in the right direction. They need to do something about their manager as well.

herky

Liked Posts:
The timing isn't bad at all, it allows the owners to take their time and find a GM before the off season. It was time to fire Jim to, he has tied the hands of the future GM enough with a few of the contracts he handed out. The good news is that the bad contracts will end and I believe Soriano and or Z will not be a Cub next year. Could eb best just to eat the money and allow the new GM to get who he wants.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well we learned a few things if you listened to Ricketts speak today.
1. This team is very good at keeping things under wraps. The decision was made on July 22nd and we still had a national reporter within the last week say that Ricketts was leaning towards keeping him.

2. No one currently with the organization will be considered for the job. Decisions on the current people in place (Quade, Wilken, Fleita, etc.) will be made by the GM brought in.

3. The timing makes perfect sense. There was reason to keep Hendry in place this long because of signing the draft picks which Ricketts made clear Hendry was very involved in. Now that the signing deadline has passed, the players the Cubs would want to deal have gone through waivers, etc., there really isn't much left for the GM to do. Now is a good time to make official, and allow the process to begin.

4. However, I would be shocked if a new GM was in place before the end of the postseason. The guys that we really want are currently employed by teams, and it is unlikely that teams in the race would allow key members of their staff to interview for another job (you can read Rick Hahn here if you want). And until they can interview all the key people to have the best idea who is the best fit for the GM, I don't want them making a call on that.

5. That is going to make it real interest on the timing though because a number of guys are going to be free agents, and so that window of exclusive negotiations could be lost due to the transition.

I'm sure there is more but this is what I thought of prior to eating lunch.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just remember a really important one:
6. Ricketts made explicit clear the hierarchy of the front office. Crane Kenny has the title of Team President but has no say in baseball matters. His positions is strictly confided to the business side of operations, and apparently has been since Ricketts took over the team. Ricketts makes the decision on the General Manager who is in charge of baseball operations.

vguzzi

Liked Posts:
I don't have a problem with the timing either. IMHO, Ricketts should hire an experienced "baseball guy" as President of Baseball Operations or some such title to perform the GM search. Then let that GM hire next year's manager and staff.

I'm nervous about having Ricketts, a businessman and fan basically, making such a critical decision. I think he's smart enough to recognize this. I guess we'll see!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The only downside to this is that now we have to be sure that Fleita and Wilken will stay, while it was a given before that they would. Chance of losing them could have gotten much higher now.

Status
Not open for further replies.