Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope Wilken stays w/ the Cubs. He's a very, very, very good scouting director

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is a great move by the cubs. quade is a goner after this season, and there was no way that any ownership as baseball stupid as the cubs with ricketts would let JH hire yet another manager to run the team. has he made some good trades? sure. maybe back in 2003 which still gets brought up in his defense by cub fans.

Anyone who does not defend the move of firing JH should really turn away from watching baseball.

as far as billy beane, come on now....he isnt coming here. he is also a minority owner with the A's.

Cashman and Epstein- I think some of you look at the standings and world series titles with these guys at face value. Their mistakes get buried due to the infinite amount of money they have at their disposal. If JH had the same amount of money to spend, this wouldnt even be a conversation.

good day for the cubs!

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm a Sox fan who also follows tons of baseball so I know all about the Cubs. That said, I can't fathom how any Cubs fan wouldn't see this as a great day and a step in the right direction.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I'm a Sox fan who also follows tons of baseball so I know all about the Cubs. That said, I can't fathom how any Cubs fan wouldn't see this as a great day and a step in the right direction.

I thought I read this differently and you were saying it was a BAD move. I had to double take. Haha

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
certainly is..dabs made some good points

it was a good time for hendry to go since the draft signings as well as the prospect investment deals are in place....there wasnt much left for him to do..i'd guess that is why they waited a bit to get rid of hendry...in all honesty he should have been gone a while ago(but in some of those instances where he could have been fired, it may not have been easy to get a good GM)

i also do like the fact that the cubs are looking for a GM outside of the current personnel(i dont think our current assistant Bush lol)...Friedman and Epstein are the two guys i'd consider going after(Friedman is great with farm system developing..managing even a small market..Epstein is good in FA..but he also made some really fantastic trades..like for Beckett,Ortiz,etc.)

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need to fire quade next and hire a Major League manager

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Well first, I think there's an obvious reason that Ryno was passed on and they let Quade take the manager's role. No one in their right mind thought this team would sniff .500, nonetheless be in contention. Too many aging, lack-luster vets. Too many questions with the kids. Too many high-dollar, minimal production salaries to do anything with. When Henry gave a press conference regarding hiring Trammel as the bench coach for Lou, he went on for a good 5 minutes about how he thought the Tigers set him up to fail and that it was a dastardly thing to do. Had Ryno been hired to manage this team this year... it would have been almost the exact same situation Detroit put Trammel in. So, instead of putting in the vaulted hero to the masses in charge right away... you put in the oaf that has paid his dues in the minors as a manager. In the end Ryno goes and gets some experience with a different philosophy (expanding his horizons and knowledge), and probably improves his ability to manage. Quade gets credit for managing beyond the "interim" bit. This means he'll probably easily land a coaching job in the majors once he's let go.

So you cover your fall guy, while setting up the "hero" to be a more capable manager... with a potentially better roster to do it with. If you also bring him in with the notion of "we're going to rebuild starting with our farm system" the observant fans, and the media, will give Ryno a pass that they would not if he failed to provide a winning team under the guise of "this team had the talent and pieces to compete in a weak division if everything goes right and the manager keeps them from falling apart".

As for Hendry, you don't get to rebuild 3 times without winning a championship and/or string together several playoff appearances. Rebuilding 3 times in 8 years is quite ridiculous... especially for a team that should be one of the elite teams in the league if Free Agency acquisitions were better handled, obsession with certain prospects kept certain beneficial trades from happening, and bad decisions not been made on hiring managers who couldn't hack the Chicago media spotlight... or break away from failing, ancient strategic philosophies.

Hendry would still be GM if he hadn't signed Soriano, Bradley, or Fukudome out of desperation... hired Joe Girardi over Piniella... hired Terry Francona over Dusty Baker... and had a backup plan that made any kind of at any time during the Wood/Prior injury plagues. I'm not going into the nuances of trades or FA signings that didn't pan out, but looked like good deals without the hindsight. These are moves that were bloody obvious at the time.

As for the timing. You keep him long enough to get the draftees signed and do the head work for potential waver-wire deals. You get him out long enough for others GMs that may be interested in the job (current or former) to begin doing what they may need to do to become eligible for it. I'd think the goal would be to begin interviewing in late September, and during the playoffs... while hoping to have someone in place by the end of December. However, I wouldn't expect a current GM (or assistant GM) to leave his position until after his current team's off season acquisitions are pretty much done.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i cant believe crane kenny is still around. oh and he has to seek "veterans" to help him with his new selection. ricketts has no clue whats going on. fire kenny and quade now, dope!

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
omg.gif

finally ding dong the clown is dead

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i cant believe crane kenny is still around. oh and he has to seek "veterans" to help him with his new selection. ricketts has no clue whats going on. fire kenny and quade now, dope!

Kenney is there for business side only..

By far not a bad thing at this point. Let Tom make the right decision for them to run the baseball operation.

This is a major step in where this organization needs to go.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
A big :clap: for Ricketts and a :hi5: for all :cubs: fans today.

As for Jim Hendry, :gtfo:!

A truly great day for the Cubs. Hope it's only the first of many great moves in the future.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Kenney is there for business side only..

By far not a bad thing at this point. Let Tom make the right decision for them to run the baseball operation.

This is a major step in where this organization needs to go.

I so agree. I don't see anything wrong with the business side of things... except that maybe prices could be dropped a little bit. Then again, when you're average ticket price is $28... and the average family of four is paying nearly $50 per seat overall... and you're selling 3 million tickets without fail... you might think your prices aren't edging out a lot of people that would be coming to the ball park.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I so agree. I don't see anything wrong with the business side of things... except that maybe prices could be dropped a little bit. Then again, when you're average ticket price is $28... and the average family of four is paying nearly $50 per seat overall... and you're selling 3 million tickets without fail... you might think your prices aren't edging out a lot of people that would be coming to the ball park.

Then people can keep getting tix cheaper on Stubhub.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
It finally happen and now i cant wait for offseason. I am excited to see who the new GM his and what the plan is. From what i heard i see this being a long rebuilding situation. Rickets did not seem to enthused on doing a big contract. So if they bring in the right guy i can only pray it works.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont get the happiness.

Hendry wasn't great but wasnt bad. Unless we get someone better their is no reason to celebrate.

Its addition by subtraction right now IMO

when i see who are permanent replacement will be, then ill give my final judgement

I think it's more of a symbolic gesture than anything else, or at least it is to me. Hendry being gone marks the dawn of a new era in Chicago Cubs baseball. Wether it's for better or worse, we'll just have to wait and see. That being said, I must admit that I'm cautiously optimistic about this whole situation.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.