Jimmy Garoppolo is not the answer

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't think it's particularly helpful going through people's past opinions with regards to what the Bears should do now. Even the best analysts are wrong regularly, far less posters on a board. You can remind Broc of Flacco, and then I can remind you that I was right about Midway Jay, then you can remind me about my Kaep fail, and so on. None of us are right all the time. But the notion that the Bears should draft their own prospect goes beyond just the analysis of the respective players' skills; it's good business.

I agree it's good business under normal circumstances but the problem is I believe Garoppolo is better than all QB prospects in the class. If we were talking Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen who will be coming out in 2018 it would be completely different because I agree with the logic. I am down on the top of this draft class is the problem for me.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
I agree it's good business under normal circumstances but the problem is I believe Garoppolo is better than all QB prospects in the class. If we were talking Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen who will be coming out in 2018 it would be completely different because I agree with the logic. I am down on the top of this draft class is the problem for me.

If JG is better than all the prospects in this class, then this class has to be the worst class ever in NFL history.

bearsden

Liked Posts:
That's fantastic Patriotsden. I pretty much posted every throw Jimmy has made in a Patriots uniform and there are plenty of examples of him going deep and putting it on the money.

of those highlights, give me a percentage of deep balls throws that he made

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
of those highlights, give me a percentage of deep balls throws that he made

What's your point? That because he doesn't go deep early and often that he is not accurate down the field? Flawed logic. Tom Brady hasn't thrown deep since Randy Moss left. That's the Patriots system but you should already know that being a Pats fan and all.

bearsden

Liked Posts:
What's your point? That because he doesn't go deep early and often that he is not accurate down the field? Flawed logic. Tom Brady hasn't thrown deep since Randy Moss left. That's the Patriots system but you should already know that being a Pats fan and all.

lol are you serious? I watch every patriots game. you sir do not if you think that

bearsden

Liked Posts:
Who does he throw deep to? They have zero deep threats. Chris Hogan? Malcom Mitchell? You are full of shit.

lol well I have seen Tom Brady throw deep balls to all of them. dude just because your not randy moss doesnt mean every once in a while they beat the corner. I really think you dont know what your talking about.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember when you relentlessly argued Josh Johnson as a prospect over Joe Flacco who I was advocating for early in the draft process before his meteoric rise that ended in him going in the middle of the 1st round? This Jimmy G argument is history repeating itself. It's not just the 1.5 NFL regular season games he has played. For me, it's always been the combination of his skillset and it translating to the NFL and him checking all the boxes since college. Through the east/west shrine bowl, senior bowl, NFL combine, preseason play, and limited regular season play in which the last time we saw him he's throwing for 230 yards and 3 tds in one half of football.

For fucks sakes, because of me this NFL message board should be more educated on Jimmy Garoppolo coming out of Eastern Illinois than any on the interwebz. Don't blindly fall for the "Patriot system" crutch or limited sample size argument when you knew better. You need to trust my QB evaluation skills like you should have back then.

LOL! Yes, since you were right about Flacco everyone here should forever bow down to your unparalleled QB evaluation skills. Get over yourself good lord lol.

The bottom line is you're completely incapable of being objective about Garoppolo. You've spent the last 3 years obsessing over the guy like you're his boyfriend or agent. You are literally the last person I'm going to listen to when it comes to what the Bears should do at QB going forward. Unlike you I have no horse in this QB race.

Secondly, I'm not even shitting on him for fuck sake. As I said he's a perfectly legit option, simply not the best one when you consider all the factors involved. Will I be upset if they trade for him, no, I simply think the benefits of hitting on a rookie QB (like Seattle with Russ, Oakland with Carr, Dallas with Prescott) and having him on a rookie contract and not having to give up any draft picks far outweighs the best case scenario with Jimmy due to having to give up draft picks this team desperately needs and having to once again make an big $ investment decision after a 1 year audition.

To me it's reeks of the Cutler situation all over again. Team is desperate and doesn't want to risk the embarrassment of whiffing on a draft pick so they take the easy way out and trade for a over-hyped talent from an actually good system and hope it performs the same here. And knowing the Bears they'd probably extend him 5y/$50M after 5 fucking games with the team like they did with Cutler. :facepalm:

So yeah, no thanks. I'd prefer to see the franchise learn from it's mistakes than keep repeating them. Regardless of how the draft falls there are better options.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't trade for Jimmy G. because of the money that he would have to be paid simply put. The fact is that he isn't proven to be even better than Hoyer so why give up a high draft pick or two for an unproven guy who will demand a lot of money? It just doesn't make sense to me.

This team needs a lot of stuff to become decent. Sure a quarterback is a big part of that but they need big upgrades at a lot of positions: OT(2), WR(2), TE(1), S(1), CB(1), DE(1), ILB(1). That is 10 upgrades not including special teams which suck also.

There is a reason why the Bears are where they are as a football team and that reason is shitty talent over-all. They probably trade down in the first round, get their QB of the future and fill one of these positions of need(my preference is either an OT or WR in the first round) and go from there.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It looks similar to the Cutler trade, but I think there are a couple of key differences,

-The Bears gave up so much for Cutler that they crippled the talent level on the team around him.

-They did a terrible job of developing him early in his Bears tenure, didn't protect him etc.

-Cutler was just a mediocre QB who never progressed,

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
QB class of projects w/ tools makes Jimmy Garappolo a valuable trade chip. Could be great Josh McDaniels sales pitch in his Bears interview.

Outstanding post, fella. I'm gonna thank it in a minute. That shit hit the nail on the head.

Unfortunately John Fox will not be fired.

I could see Fox pushing for Jimmy, he would not have to wait as long to get the QB on the field.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unfortunately John Fox will not be fired.

I could see Fox pushing for Jimmy, he would not have to wait as long to get the QB on the field.

I know it's unlikely Fox will get fired at this point but sometimes shockers happen.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As I said he's a perfectly legit option, simply not the best one when you consider all the factors involved. Will I be upset if they trade for him, no, I simply think the benefits of hitting on a rookie QB (like Seattle with Russ, Oakland with Carr, Dallas with Prescott) and having him on a rookie contract and not having to give up any draft picks far outweighs the best case scenario with Jimmy due to having to give up draft picks this team desperately needs and having to once again make an big $ investment decision after a 1 year audition.

To me it's reeks of the Cutler situation all over again. Team is desperate and doesn't want to risk the embarrassment of whiffing on a draft pick so they take the easy way out and trade for a over-hyped talent from an actually good system and hope it performs the same here. And knowing the Bears they'd probably extend him 5y/$50M after 5 fucking games with the team like they did with Cutler. :facepalm:

So yeah, no thanks. I'd prefer to see the franchise learn from it's mistakes than keep repeating them. Regardless of how the draft falls there are better options.

what he said ^

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It looks similar to the Cutler trade, but I think there are a couple of key differences,

-The Bears gave up so much for Cutler that they crippled the talent level on the team around him.

-They did a terrible job of developing him early in his Bears tenure, didn't protect him etc.

-Cutler was just a mediocre QB who never progressed,

How do you know that's a difference? We don't know if Jimmy will progress either. Coming from the most stable, easiest QBing situation in the NFL where every mediocre warm body has managed to win, to a much less developed and talented team doesn't sound like automatic, assumed progress to me. Especially when you consider that he's only played a game and a half there, and that his college opposition was a similar to level to some of the better TX high schools.

Cutler was considered one of the "next elite QBs" when that trade was made. He was coming off a trip to the pro bowl and was expected to be among the next generation of top tier QBs. He also had raw physical talent that dwarfed that of JG.

I agree this is different to the Cutler trade. It's a far riskier trade for a far more unproven QB.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do you know that's a difference? We don't know if Jimmy will progress either. Coming from the most stable, easiest QBing situation in the NFL where every mediocre warm body has managed to win, to a much less developed and talented team doesn't sound like automatic, assumed progress to me. Especially when you consider that he's only played a game and a half there, and that his college opposition was a similar to level to some of the better TX high schools.

Cutler was considered one of the "next elite QBs" when that trade was made. He was coming off a trip to the pro bowl and was expected to be among the next generation of top tier QBs. He also had raw physical talent that dwarfed that of JG.

I agree this is different to the Cutler trade. It's a far riskier trade for a far more unproven QB.

Agreed for better or for worse Cutler was a known commodity that you were hoping would progress. JG is a complete unknown costing multiple picks that you don't even really know what the floor is at this point. Granted I'm a bit bias bc I'm not a huge JG guy but still. Even trying to be objective I don't think you can say JG is less risky....Cutler was a known and you knew the price. JG is a complete unknown..and you know the price.

Last edited: