Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Belichick would still much rather have the draft picks to play with then a 6 million dollar a year clipboard holder for three years. You may not like JG, that's fine. You may not believe he will be a Bear, that is fine as well. But if you think for a moment he isn't getting traded at the end of this year, your delusional. And when he does, it has nothing to do with Belichicks appraisal of him, as I think Bill B and Brady retire simultaneously.
My point was that everyone insisting that the Pats can't keep him even if Belichick thinks he is the second coming of Tom Brady, is wrong. If he thought JG would be a ten year extension of what Brady has been, they would do a similar extension in a heartbeat.

But I agree they will trade them if they get the offers they expect to get. I don't think Belichick thinks anyone is that special except Tommy Terrific.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He has only played 1.5 NFL games.

He was also a top NFL prospect when he was drafted in 2014, so the guy has talent and now he has been tutored and developed by the best organization in football.

He should have gone higher than 62 in 2014.

yes, he should have been drafted higher. The only reason, he was not is because he went to Easyern Illnois. To be drafted in the 2nd round coming from EIU is a huge statement

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've noticed that anytime a poster has an idea for a Bears trade, it's always amazingly one-sided in favor of the Bears.

My point being this: is there any, slight indication that the Patriots are looking to trade him.

nope1!!! And I can't think of one reason why they would trade Brady's successor.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
We already have a young QB in Barkley that has outplayed Jimmy at all three levels of football. high school, college, and pro level. Let's dump him and trade our future.

Barkley = 57 qb rating as a pro

Jimmy G = 108.5

Do you sometimes pretend that's Barkley in your avatar?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I would rather pace draft a qb in the second and have a three way competition than trade two or more picks for Jimmy.

Let someone else play the patriot scraps game. Even if it works out in the case of Jimmy the history of that game is a fool's errand.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ditka4life

Liked Posts:
Urblock: can you do something about all these red bar people? it's obvious they're not welcome here.

I can't believe this thread got 10 pages.

I'll weigh in though. Patriots logic = buy low/sell high: James Garoppolo is getting traded. Thomas Brady is not getting traded. Thomas Brady and William Belichick are going to inevitably retire together; this may happen in the next 2 years or 10. lastly, Spartan, bearmick, Rory, and FirstTimer are never wrong; omeletpants is great for history lessons. fuck Rodney and fuck Taco.

the end.

You just said Brady will play another 10 years?
Why would Belechik retire at all???
He drafted Jimmy specifically to replace Brady.
So, this delusional thinking that Belechik is tied to Brady needs to stop.
Belechik will decide for himself when he will retire and isn't going to let Brady
dictate what he does with his life. That's just bizarre.
When has any coach specifically said he will retire because his star QB retired?
Besides Brady wants to play forever, even if he isn't on the Patriots.
I've never heard Brady say he will retire rather than be traded, in fact,
I've heard Brady say that no one, including himself, is safe from being traded.

So, even if you don't believe me, then believe Tom Brady when he says he will
be on the trading block someday.

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd rather not repeat the mistake they made with Cutler of trading the farm for an completely unproven commodity and setting the franchise back 10 years it didn't work out. It's a dice roll either way you approach the QB situation so I really don't see the point in giving up extremely valuable draft picks to the Pats when this franchise desperately needs every last draft pick it has and then some to actually rebuild this dumpster fire of a roster.

There are plenty of good prospects to choose from this year. Make a proper evaluation and take the one you grade out the best with the 1st or 2nd rounder. It's not rocket science.
problem is Jimmy is better than any QB coming out this year

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
problem is Jimmy is better than any QB coming out this year

And you've reached this conclusion based on what? 2 career starts?!? :facepalm:

Gotta love the Chicago meatball mentality where our fans are so desperate for a QB they fall in love with a guy after 1 decent game (latest example Matt Barkley) or 2 in Jimmy's case...

Let's be real here, Jimmy is every bit as likely to bust here in Chicago as any QB they could take in the draft. The only difference is he's going to cost us more than 1 pick to find out. Personally I'd rather not hand over multiple picks for the next Matt Cassel but that's just me.

And then factor in that we'd be right back to having to make a contract decision after 1 season with the guy. Most likely having to grossly overpay to keep him around if he even has a halfway decent season in 2017. Fuck that.

I'd much rather roll the dice on a rookie QB where you're only risking 1 draft pick and have several seasons to see if the kid is any good before having to make any long term big money commitments. If Pace makes a good evaluation the team is much better positioned to build around him while he's still on that rookie deal.

AussieBear

cage-taco.gif

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Barkley = 57 qb rating as a pro

Jimmy G = 108.5

Do you sometimes pretend that's Barkley in your avatar?
Barkley 2 games played with third string players. Jimmy 1.2 games played with three months of preparation. You sir are pathetic if you think stats matter at this juncture.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have a soccer gif in your sig, what could you possibly know about real football? If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms.

damnit man, your conditionals are all off. you threw us into an infinite loop:

while (alterego_football_IQ <= Spartan_football_IQ)
{
facepalm = TRUE;
}

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yes, he should have been drafted higher. The only reason, he was not is because he went to Easyern Illnois. To be drafted in the 2nd round coming from EIU is a huge statement

well then, Wentz must be the second coming of Brady....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't know, windy. JG has thrown about 2 games worth of passes in the NFL. His numbers were very good, but nothing that screams the next Marino. If we do acquire him via trade, we only get him for the last year of his rookie contract, and he has total freedom to walk after next year and decline our extension offer, rigjt? (Honest question). If so, it is absolutely absurd to argue that our best option is to give up valuable draft picks when we have so many holes all for a 1 year rental of JG. And I can make the argument that JG is a bigger unknown than J. Allen or M. Garrett, even with JG's 2 game NFL experience. Garrett and Allen have just as much, if not more, of a chance at becoming perennial pro bowlers than JG does.

We are talking QBs, not DEs. QBs in the draft are an even bigger unknown that Jimmy.

It is great that Garrett and Allen are more likely to go to the Pro Bowl, but they won't do it playing QB.

In addition if we trade for Jimmy we can still draft Allen.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And you've reached this conclusion based on what? 2 career starts?!? :facepalm:

Gotta love the Chicago meatball mentality where our fans are so desperate for a QB they fall in love with a guy after 1 decent game (latest example Matt Barkley) or 2 in Jimmy's case...

Let's be real here, Jimmy is every bit as likely to bust here in Chicago as any QB they could take in the draft. The only difference is he's going to cost us more than 1 pick to find out. Personally I'd rather not hand over multiple picks for the next Matt Cassel but that's just me.

And then factor in that we'd be right back to having to make a contract decision after 1 season with the guy. Most likely having to grossly overpay to keep him around if he even has a halfway decent season in 2017. Fuck that.

I'd much rather roll the dice on a rookie QB where you're only risking 1 draft pick and have several seasons to see if the kid is any good before having to make any long term big money commitments. If Pace makes a good evaluation the team is much better positioned to build around him while he's still on that rookie deal.

I would rather risk a couple of 2nd round picks than the 4th pick in the draft.

I am really fine either way. I worry that SF and Clev are going to leave us with 1 choice at QB.

Jimmy G is about more than 2 games, it is about the evaluation of Jim coming out in the draft. 2 games is just a bonus to the really good prospect that he was.

The rookie deal is the strongest argument for me, especially if you are taking a guy in the 2nd like Davis Webb.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;dUI6YmBkj1w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUI6YmBkj1w[/video]

After watching this I'm pretty convinced we shouldn't get him. We don't run anything like this offense. You're spot on about his mental processing, mechanics, etc... I'm not convinced of the fit.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
We are talking QBs, not DEs. QBs in the draft are an even bigger unknown that Jimmy.

It is great that Garrett and Allen are more likely to go to the Pro Bowl, but they won't do it playing QB.

In addition if we trade for Jimmy we can still draft Allen.

I understand that QBs are harder to predict than DE/OLB's and that we're talking about QBs. My only point was the cost we would pay to get JG. I understand your point about the 4th overall value vs. the value of the picks we would give up via trade. My biggest concern is the fact that we would only get him for 1 year. If he decides to leave after 2017, then we're out those picks that we surely need. Way too risky and costly IMO. Now if you're telling me JG still has 3 years left on his rookie deal, then cool.
In the end, the only thing that matters is who Pace thinks has the most potential moving forward, whether in FA, draft, or trade for JG.

1) Trade for JG and give up picks. a) He does well and he leaves after the season. Pace will probably get fired. b) He plays well and he signs a long term deal. Fortunate and well done Pace. c) He plays poorly and he is gone after the season and we lost the picks for 1 season of poor play.

2) Pace's guy is projected to be drafted near the top of the board. I agree-we should do whatever it takes to get his guy. He plays on a cost-friendly rookie deal and we see if we have something. If not, the QB class in 2018 is much better anyway. Draft another QB.

3) Pace's guy is Mahomes, Webb, Falk, Rudolph, etc. Draft Garrett/Allen, and do whatever it takes to get his guy, including trading back into the 1st round. He plays on a cost-friendly rookie deal and we see if we have something. If not, the QB class in 2018 is much better anyway. Draft another QB.