Jimmy Garoppolo is not the answer

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I understand that QBs are harder to predict than DE/OLB's and that we're talking about QBs. My only point was the cost we would pay to get JG. I understand your point about the 4th overall value vs. the value of the picks we would give up via trade. My biggest concern is the fact that we would only get him for 1 year. If he decides to leave after 2017, then we're out those picks that we surely need. Way too risky and costly IMO. Now if you're telling me JG still has 3 years left on his rookie deal, then cool.
In the end, the only thing that matters is who Pace thinks has the most potential moving forward, whether in FA, draft, or trade for JG.

1) Trade for JG and give up picks. a) He does well and he leaves after the season. Pace will probably get fired. b) He plays well and he signs a long term deal. Fortunate and well done Pace. c) He plays poorly and he is gone after the season and we lost the picks for 1 season of poor play.

2) Pace's guy is projected to be drafted near the top of the board. I agree-we should do whatever it takes to get his guy. He plays on a cost-friendly rookie deal and we see if we have something. If not, the QB class in 2018 is much better anyway. Draft another QB.

3) Pace's guy is Mahomes, Webb, Falk, Rudolph, etc. Draft Garrett/Allen, and do whatever it takes to get his guy, including trading back into the 1st round. He plays on a cost-friendly rookie deal and we see if we have something. If not, the QB class in 2018 is much better anyway. Draft another QB.

1. If Garapollo plays well tag him, or even better extend him, there is no chance he leaves.

2. If you draft a QB high and he sucks and you draft another in 2018, admitting you blew a top 5 pick, you will be fired.

3. Drafting the 6th best QB in a bad QB draft seems like a risk.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Any QB is a risk.

Jimmy G presents no more risk than any QB you draft.

But he won't cost the 4th overall pick.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Okay, I will notify Pace to stop scouting QB's immediately because CCS has found the answer.

No you should scout them and again I would have no problem picking one. But I also think Jimmy is a legitimate option especially considering the questions surrounding this class.

If this was the Mariota/Winston year I would feel differently.

But thanks for your contribution.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I find the prospect of this trade a more fun scenario than a top5 draft pick at qb so I support it.

Trade the high 2nd + and draft some skill guy top 5 that will get come up limp.

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No you should scout them and again I would have no problem picking one. But I also think Jimmy is a legitimate option especially considering the questions surrounding this class.

I personally like this class quite a bit. Watson and Kizer are 2 guys who are as intriguing as Mariota/Winston were in my eyes and I really like the depth of the class after them also. Falk will be special.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:

It's not like the guy hasn't proven he can play through 4 games without being injured.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I personally like this class quite a bit. Watson and Kizer are 2 guys who are as intriguing as Mariota/Winston were in my eyes and I really like the depth of the class after them also. Falk will be special.

They really aren't in that class.

That sounds like need talking. They are good prospects, they may even be good NFL QBs, but they are not in the class of Mariota and Winston.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:

Obviously Jimmy is a legitimate option and should be vetted as such, he's just not the best option. Not sure why you're suddenly down on the draft class now btw. One of Kizer/Watson/Trubisky is bound to be there for the taking with that 1st, any of which are far better options on rookie deals. Or if Pace prefers to do something like Peppers + Falk/Webb that's a far better option too IMO.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I am not convinced a Jimmy G trade will happen for the Bears but if they can get Jimmy plus Jonathan Allen plus more quality Pace picks and a few solid to very good FA acquisitions than I will be a very very happy Bear fan.

I like Trubisky but is there really that much difference ultimately between Jimmy and Trubisky as both are smart and accurate but Jimmy is much more of a sure bet than Trubisky at this juncture. However great chance the Browns take Trubisky and I am not convinced the Bears absolute best options are Watson or Kizer and no ones knows if the Bears will even be able to draft them.

However if a Jimmy G trades does not happen and the Bears are unable or unwilling to draft a top five QB in this draft a Barkley, Mahomes , Hoyer or Barkley Mahomes and Connor Shaw combo is a very good fall back option because I believe Barkley is very NFL ready to lead an NFL team and Mahomes has enormous potential but will need a good two years to be ready to kick some butt as an NFL starter.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not convinced a Jimmy G trade will happen for the Bears but if they can get Jimmy plus Jonathan Allen plus more quality Pace picks and a few solid to very good FA acquisitions than I will be a very very happy Bear fan.

I like Trubisky but is there really that much difference ultimately between Jimmy and Trubisky as both are smart and accurate but Jimmy is much more of a sure bet than Trubisky at this juncture. However great chance the Browns take Trubisky and I am not convinced the Bears absolute best options are Watson or Kizer and no ones knows if the Bears will even be able to draft them.

However if a Jimmy G trades does not happen and the Bears are unable or unwilling to draft a top five QB in this draft a Barkley, Mahomes , Hoyer or Barkley Mahomes and Connor Shaw combo is a very good fall back option because I believe Barkley is very NFL ready to lead an NFL team and Mahomes has enormous potential but will need a good two years to be ready to kick some butt as an NFL starter.

92140.png

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And you've reached this conclusion based on what? 2 career starts?!? :facepalm:

Gotta love the Chicago meatball mentality where our fans are so desperate for a QB they fall in love with a guy after 1 decent game (latest example Matt Barkley) or 2 in Jimmy's case...

Let's be real here, Jimmy is every bit as likely to bust here in Chicago as any QB they could take in the draft. The only difference is he's going to cost us more than 1 pick to find out. Personally I'd rather not hand over multiple picks for the next Matt Cassel but that's just me.

And then factor in that we'd be right back to having to make a contract decision after 1 season with the guy. Most likely having to grossly overpay to keep him around if he even has a halfway decent season in 2017. Fuck that.

I'd much rather roll the dice on a rookie QB where you're only risking 1 draft pick and have several seasons to see if the kid is any good before having to make any long term big money commitments. If Pace makes a good evaluation the team is much better positioned to build around him while he's still on that rookie deal.

Remember when you relentlessly argued Josh Johnson as a prospect over Joe Flacco who I was advocating for early in the draft process before his meteoric rise that ended in him going in the middle of the 1st round? This Jimmy G argument is history repeating itself. It's not just the 1.5 NFL regular season games he has played. For me, it's always been the combination of his skillset and it translating to the NFL and him checking all the boxes since college. Through the east/west shrine bowl, senior bowl, NFL combine, preseason play, and limited regular season play in which the last time we saw him he's throwing for 230 yards and 3 tds in one half of football.

For fucks sakes, because of me this NFL message board should be more educated on Jimmy Garoppolo coming out of Eastern Illinois than any on the interwebz. Don't blindly fall for the "Patriot system" crutch or limited sample size argument when you knew better. You need to trust my QB evaluation skills like you should have back then.

bearsden

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;dUI6YmBkj1w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUI6YmBkj1w[/video]

Watching this even reconfirms my stance. Hes a Brian Hoyer. Look at his deep ball accuracy. We might as well get rid of Jeffrey if we get him. Hes a great backup but not a starter.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Remember when you relentlessly argued Josh Johnson as a prospect over Joe Flacco who I was advocating for early in the draft process before his meteoric rise that ended in him going in the middle of the 1st round? This Jimmy G argument is history repeating itself. It's not just the 1.5 NFL regular season games he has played. For me, it's always been the combination of his skillset and it translating to the NFL and him checking all the boxes since college. Through the east/west shrine bowl, senior bowl, NFL combine, preseason play, and limited regular season play in which the last time we saw him he's throwing for 230 yards and 3 tds in one half of football.

For fucks sakes, because of me this NFL message board should be more educated on Jimmy Garoppolo coming out of Eastern Illinois than any on the interwebz. Don't blindly fall for the "Patriot system" crutch or limited sample size argument when you knew better. You need to trust my QB evaluation skills like you should have back then.

You must work for an NFL team in scouting if you are that good.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Watching this even reconfirms my stance. Hes a Brian Hoyer. Look at his deep ball accuracy. We might as well get rid of Jeffrey if we get him. Hes a great backup but not a starter.

There is nothing inaccurate when Jimmy throws a football. Short, intermediate, deep it don't matter. I've watched every throw he has made since his senior year at EIU where he threw bombs on the money.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You must work for an NFL team in scouting if you are that good.

You're right, looking back the fact that Josh Johnson who you have never heard of was in the same conversation as Joe Flacco looks pretty foolish now. There were a bunch of bums being discussed, this Kevin O'Connell hack from San Diego State. You would think I would have more pull with the idiots on this board but as they say you can't fix stupid.

bearsden

Liked Posts:
There is nothing inaccurate when Jimmy throws a football. Short, intermediate, deep it don't matter. I've watched every throw he has made since his senior year at EIU where he threw bombs on the money.

lol I am a patriots fan, I have watch everyone of his game with them. he cant throw the long ball accurately.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Obviously Jimmy is a legitimate option and should be vetted as such, he's just not the best option. Not sure why you're suddenly down on the draft class now btw. One of Kizer/Watson/Trubisky is bound to be there for the taking with that 1st, any of which are far better options on rookie deals. Or if Pace prefers to do something like Peppers + Falk/Webb that's a far better option too IMO.

I absolutely do not want Peppers.

Agree with you about the QBs.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
lol I am a patriots fan, I have watch everyone of his game with them. he cant throw the long ball accurately.

That's fantastic Patriotsden. I pretty much posted every throw Jimmy has made in a Patriots uniform and there are plenty of examples of him going deep and putting it on the money.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You're right, looking back the fact that Josh Johnson who you have never heard of was in the same conversation as Joe Flacco looks pretty foolish now. There were a bunch of bums being discussed, this Kevin O'Connell hack from San Diego State. You would think I would have more pull with the idiots on this board but as they say you can't fix stupid.
I don't think it's particularly helpful going through people's past opinions with regards to what the Bears should do now. Even the best analysts are wrong regularly, far less posters on a board. You can remind Broc of Flacco, and then I can remind you that I was right about Midway Jay, then you can remind me about my Kaep fail, and so on. None of us are right all the time. But the notion that the Bears should draft their own prospect goes beyond just the analysis of the respective players' skills; it's good business.