Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
LOL, so what you're saying is that DJ Williams is being handed the MIKE? We will see about that.

I said I thought that was what Bear brass would like. I really hope it's an open competition, not just at LB, but everywhere. With the D from last year, I don't think anybody should be handed anything.

I love Tillman, Jennings, and Briggs but once a player hits 30 you have to keep an open mind. Every spot on D should be open to evaluation, of course I believe those three will still be cornerstones.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I said I thought that was what Bear brass would like. I really hope it's an open competition, not just at LB, but everywhere. With the D from last year, I don't think anybody should be handed anything.

I love Tillman, Jennings, and Briggs but once a player hits 30 you have to keep an open mind. Every spot on D should be open to evaluation, of course I believe those three will still be cornerstones.

Well so far we have heard that there is going to be competition at two linebacker positions with Briggs being handed his starting job on a silver platter despite playing like shit last year. It is what it is. They are giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see a slimmed down athletic McClellin be able to hold down the SLB position ... but first I'd just like to see him be able to get off a solid block.

you do realize he will have a big cushion of space to work with before a blocker engages him and will have the advantage of knowing whats going on before the lead blocker does... If the runner cuts he sees it before the lead blocker, if the hole closes he can get outside and shut the play down with his speed... Taking on blocks as a linebacker is different.. you are not immediately engaged by a blocker at the snap of the ball... you are attacked and the blocker has to get on you in space before you make a play... And with his speed athleticism and strength he will be one of the bigger faster linebackers in the league and not one of the smaller weaker defensive lineman in the league...

I would be more worried about his pass coverage skills than his ability to take on a fullback or tight end...

SiDe WaYs

Liked Posts:
I would be more worried about his pass coverage skills than his ability to take on a fullback or tight end...

I feel the same way. He will be fine against the run. Coverage skills...i just don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

james sanders

DE/OLB
Liked Posts:
Bostic should be on the weak side with his exceptional athletic abilities, alas washed up Briggs is there instead. Maybe next year.

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
Bostic should be on the weak side with his exceptional athletic abilities, alas washed up Briggs is there instead. Maybe next year.

This may very well be the year that Briggs just doesn't have it anymore ... we'll have to see.
However, when Briggs was healthy last year, he was still making plays that very few LBs in the league can make.
Yes, he made a few more uncharacteristic errors last year than in previous years, but not nearly enough to call him "washed up".

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We can't cut the Packer smacker.

james sanders

DE/OLB
Liked Posts:
This may very well be the year that Briggs just doesn't have it anymore ... we'll have to see.
However, when Briggs was healthy last year, he was still making plays that very few LBs in the league can make.
Yes, he made a few more uncharacteristic errors last year than in previous years, but not nearly enough to call him "washed up".

The eagles game may have very well been the worst defensive performance of Briggs's career (and as a whole unit) but even before his injury he almost looked like he lost a step anyway, and he never became the leader that he had to be. It makes me wonder if Urlacher made Briggs' career.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
LOL, so what you're saying is that DJ Williams is being handed the MIKE? We will see about that.

Well, he was handed the starting job last year after he missed the entirety of training camp with an injury and Jon Bostic played well enough to win the starting spot during the preseason.

So,there's that...

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well, if you are right then its a good thing the Bears have Bostic. I suspect Briggs will be off the field more than ever before but I don't think he's "washed up". But, everyone loses their legs eventually.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, he was handed the starting job last year after he missed the entirety of training camp with an injury and Jon Bostic played well enough to win the starting spot during the preseason.

So,there's that...

Well its a new year and he didn't bother showing up to the first OTA.

So, there's that...

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Well its a new year and he didn't bother showing up to the first OTA.

So, there's that...

So you're going to base this assumption off of him missing one voluntary workout and the likelihood that he was present for the other three workouts that weren't open to the media?

You are a.....oh why bother you won't get any smarter or slightly more observant of reality.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You're the one making the assumptions here. I never said either will man the position. Especially given it was announced there would be competition at any position not manned by Briggs.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
You're the one making the assumptions here. I never said either will man the position. Especially given it was announced there would be competition at any position not manned by Briggs.

So who is competing with Williams?

You're one of those McClellin is Urlacher's replacement idiots aren't you...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So who is competing with Williams?

You're one of those McClellin is Urlacher's replacement idiots aren't you...

I am a let-them-play-themselves-into-a-starting-spot, idiot...

Frankly you have access to the same information I do so you already know Bostic, McClellin and Williams have all gotten looks at MIKE thus far.

Mitchapalooza

tumblr_m7wrqxw2fN1qc460ao1_500.jpg

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would hope that it is just open competition (other than Briggs). I also hope we have the coaches that will be able to make the right choices and the right positions for these players. I can't see why the Bears management would be hoping a certain combination would be the best, or how someone can figure out what they are hoping for. This would be counterproductive to making he right selections.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
SLB: Bostic, McClellin, Senn
MLB: Williams, Jones
WLB: Briggs, Greene

All 3 will probably make the team and I expect Bostic and McClellin to play significant time on defense.

How come when you post now its in the tone of chief smug, master of football future-telling?